2020 Recruiting classes

It is interesting to see the actual 2020 commits now that they are becoming official and not just verbal offers. Just to beat areas horse, Stanford’s incoming freshman class are all from ECNL, except for one from Hawaii that doesn’t have ECNL and one from Australia. I guess he doesn’t want the best of the best players for his team.

It is interesting to see the actual 2020 commits now that they are becoming official and not just verbal offers. Just to beat areas horse, Stanford’s incoming freshman class are all from ECNL, except for one from Hawaii that doesn’t have ECNL and one from Australia. I guess he doesn’t want the best of the best players for his team.
You will see bigger DA numbers for 2021 class and by 2022 it will be more DA than ECNL.

If you look at the commits in years past, in addition to the best soccer players, Stanford also likes multisport players....in that in their bio, they were not exclusively playing soccer but other sports as well.

If you look at the commits in years past, in addition to the best soccer players, Stanford also likes multisport players....in that in their bio, they were not exclusively playing soccer but other sports as well.
I noticed that as well. Someone who is good with excel should look at the current roster of NC, WSU, UCLA and Stanford and see what % played HS soccer and or other sports in High School. It will be very high. Next year will be less and then by 2022 more DA and a lot less HS sports. Maybe this new philosophy will keep the WNT on top :) The MNT suck so I hope this DA things works for the girls and keeps them as the champ. It's a total loserville IMHO.

We'll see. I am not so sure that the shiny bobble of DA will maintain it's shine over the years. It seems that many college coaches are not fans of the DA and are looking for the best players to win conferences. They don't care if they are from DA or ECNL.
Well, it was shiny three years ago until I test drove that league for one year. Biggest loser league ever invented. I can't stand pay per play if you haven't noticed.

Last edited:
I also noticed a few verbal commits changing their schools. One from UCLA to Wash State. That one surprised me.

It’s not just the pay to play issue. It is the mission and operational application of the mission that isn’t on track from my perspective. If you want to have a truly developmental system that trains the most elete as a pipeline to the WNT I think there are other options.

Build on what ECNL created not compete with it - create 1-2 truly elete teams in each region - have inter- regional showcases and tournaments and local scrimmages with top teams from other leagues. It is 100% funded and rosters not more than 20 with a developmental pool that is training in the same way where players get to guest play with the primary team if they show promise. So you have 80 players from each region participating. Objective tryouts with a pool of coaches that vote to select the rosters. 360 evals by the players and parents to weed out abusive and bad coaches and clean out the politics. Coaches are selected based on ability to perform with successful teams and have the skills to create a positive learning environment. Let all the girls play high school or other sports without special permission or grief.

ECNL would be a feeder program to this small program. The top 25 college coaches would go to these elite showcases knowing these were the top players with proven track records. The college coaches would not have to split their time and watch so many meaningless games and would get excellent players from the ECNL. This would create a group of maybe 250 top players across the country that trained together year round without a dilution of teams and everyone is playing the best players consistently.

Well, it was shiny three years ago until I test drove that league for one year. Biggest loser league ever invented. I can't stand pay per play if you haven't noticed.
I keep hearing you use “pay per play”, what exactly is that term referring to? Did your DD’s previous club charge you extra per game when she was a DP for them last season?

that was a while ago - well before NLI signing
Yes, it was awhile ago but that verbal commit to UCLA was public for awhile before it changed. It definitely made sense. I was just commenting on the post that there was a verbal commit to UCLA that changed.

Yes, it was awhile ago but that verbal commit to UCLA was public for awhile before it changed. It definitely made sense. I was just commenting on the post that there was a verbal commit to UCLA that changed.

I was not responding to your post but the other asking where you could find that information. I agree with your comment and your assessment.

Speaking of Topdrawer... who, or what, determines the number of stars associated with a given DD's "rating"?

I think it comes entirely from TDS. Not sure if clubs lobby for their players and sometimes players that get a certain level, stay at that level even if they are dropped off in skill or even stopped playing altogether. But TDS sets its "rankings" based on publicly available information and, still, will miss some exceptional players or have some players way overrated. It's an interesting guide but I can't imagine that any college recruiter or national scout uses it for any substantive purpose (I do think the kids, and definitely the parents, look at it more closely)

Can I go back to the comments about multiple sport athletes?

I’ve heard the same thing about college coaches look for multiple sport athletes but wonder why they’re looking for that. Does it have to do with disbursement of scholarships or does it have some other “administrative” basis?

Or do they think that if a recruit can juggle two or three sports, they must be super gifted, well rounded athletes?

I’ve heard that Volleyball does nothing good for soccer players in terms of Its effect on certain muscle groups. Long distance running will wreak havoc on quick acceleration and change of direction. Hurdles pose some danger to hips if trailing foot catches, etc...

Other side of that coin, I’ve heard a well respected coach (not based in the US) say that if soccer players are away from the game focusing on another sport, then they’re loosing their acumen, not learning timing of play, not learning the unique sense of vision, feeling and avoiding pressure etc...

sorry for the long question but any comments would be very helpful. Thanks

Back