2020-2021 Boys Age Groups

I do not know the answer to that. I also don't assume that there is a rationale. lol.
I have the info without explanation and am only left to assumptions and aggravation.
Reddevildad, thanks for the info from the winter showcase. Can you expand on the biobanding event in silver lakes?

Reddevildad, thanks for the info from the winter showcase. Can you expand on the biobanding event in silver lakes?
Not 100% sure but here's what I know:
In April, Lonestar, Texans, FC Dallas and some other TX clubs participated in a "bio-banding event." They played 2 or 3 games according to their bio-banded age. I don't know if it was bio-banded teams vs bio-banded teams... or a bio-banded U15 team vs an actual U15 team...
The Silverlakes event is the second one and I assume it will be similar.
The clubs participating are: SD Surf (Boys & Girls), Real So Cal (Boys & Girls), LAG (Girls), San Jose (Girls), LAFC (Boys), Pats (Boys).
The dates are January 11-12th.

I assume everyone is familiar with bio-banding and the initiative so I didn't address that.

19/20 DA Cup Finals: Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City
April 29-May 4
Regional Showcases at same location at 18-19 season.
Summer Showcase and Playoffs- Locations TBA in early 2020.
Late Developer Initiative was also expanded to all age groups now... boys & girls. Clubs can have max 2 players playing down. (Khamis-Roche Method score of -0.5 or greater).

19/20 DA Cup Finals: Swope Soccer Village in Kansas City
April 29-May 4
Regional Showcases at same location at 18-19 season.
Summer Showcase and Playoffs- Locations TBA in early 2020.
Late Developer Initiative was also expanded to all age groups now... boys & girls. Clubs can have max 2 players playing down. (Khamis-Roche Method score of -0.5 or greater).
so your understanding is that the late developer rule allowing up to 2 players per team, play one age group down, is now applicable from u13 thru u19?

(for reference, in 2019-20, the late developer rule had only been for u14 and u15 age groups)

I am hearing differently, directly from a non-MLS DA Director. He tells me they will split U16 and U-17. He’s been known to not be correct sometimes - so I’ll wait for a better source.

I am hearing differently, directly from a non-MLS DA Director. He tells me they will split U16 and U-17. He’s been known to not be correct sometimes - so I’ll wait for a better source.

We were told in FL that the 16/17 is not splitting and no talk whatsoever about changing birth year. I have it in writing in the document given out. Can they change their mind, sure? Is that likely? No. Should they? I don't care to debate because I can't impact that conversation. lol.

so your understanding is that the late developer rule allowing up to 2 players per team, play one age group down, is now applicable from u13 thru u19?

(for reference, in 2019-20, the late developer rule had only been for u14 and u15 age groups)

Yes, "Late Developer Initiative expanded to include all age groups and genders." Max 2 players per birth year can play down.

We were told in FL that the 16/17 is not splitting and no talk whatsoever about changing birth year.

Is that in reference to the rumors floating around about a change back to calendar year generally for all USSF affiliated clubs/leagues or was there a separate rumor relating to change in DA specifically?

Is that in reference to the rumors floating around about a change back to calendar year generally for all USSF affiliated clubs/leagues or was there a separate rumor relating to change in DA specifically?
Reference to the rumors floating of going back to September-August or whenever it was. Nothing said of that. Doesn't mean it isn't a possibility.

Until they are published on the ussda site nothing is final. Slides have come out every year in Dec for the past 3 and then there are changes in the end sometime minor adjustments. Once people find out the tentative plans they start to voice there opinions so change can/does happen. Feb/March we should see what the 20/21 actually season parameters will be.

That slide seems incomplete to me as USL amateur is not noted for Zone 3. You don't have to be professional or in college to play USL at u19+ or younger like players are doing now.

Just curious.
What’s good about keeping 16/17 together?
Yes, I am straining to see any goodness at all from that. Even if your kid is a strong 05 and is likely to make the U17 next year, having a U16 team would be a positive.

Just curious.
What’s good about keeping 16/17 together?

Just a personal opinion, from an elite talent development standpoint. I get that a seller are age group helps non-MLS clubs as they can generate more money from dues. From an MLS Academy standpoint, I think having the elite U16s playing with the U17s is a good thing.

Just a personal opinion, from an elite talent development standpoint. I get that a seller are age group helps non-MLS clubs as they can generate more money from dues. From an MLS Academy standpoint, I think having the elite U16s playing with the U17s is a good thing.
So why not just have the “elite” 16’s play up?
I’m just not understanding the motive for wanting to exclude a lot of good players who aren’t finished developing.

Until they are published on the ussda site nothing is final. Slides have come out every year in Dec for the past 3 and then there are changes in the end sometime minor adjustments. Once people find out the tentative plans they start to voice there opinions so change can/does happen. Feb/March we should see what the 20/21 actually season parameters will be.
Yeah, agree.

Appears that this poster believes his son is “elite” and he wants as much of the competition shut out before they physically develop and/or get better than his son. Wrong?

Appears that this poster believes his son is “elite” and he wants as much of the competition shut out before they physically develop and/or get better than his son. Wrong?

Didn't get that out what was posted.

MLS academies pretty much expect players with ambitions to play beyond academy at a higher level to play up why there with the academy teams. So for example this seasons 2003 are playing u18/19 or have already moved on to USL or other places instead of DA u16/17.

DA has a competitive lifespan and it varies per player.

Didn't get that out what was posted.

MLS academies pretty much expect players with ambitions to play beyond academy at a higher level to play up why there with the academy teams. So for example this seasons 2003 are playing u18/19 or have already moved on to USL or other places instead of DA u16/17.

DA has a competitive lifespan and it varies per player.
Current galaxy 18/19 roster is filled with ‘02 players. Not sure what you are talking about.

Back