2020-2021 Boys Age Groups

SBFDad

SILVER ELITE
Might be a little early, but figured I’d test the rumor mill waters. Anyone hearing anything concerning age groups for boys next season?

Particularly the future of U13 and a U16/17 split?

Might be a little early, but figured I’d test the rumor mill waters. Anyone hearing anything concerning age groups for boys next season?

Particularly the future of U13 and a U16/17 split?
I ‘ve heard that u13 will go away
And it will be u14,u15,u16,u17 and combined 18/19
And also heard that it would be announced this December at the olders showcase
Will see...

Traditionally the winter showcase Is where you hear about the next season plans but ussda has a habit of last minute changes so who knows.

They should just go full calendar year and be done with it already. U19 (01's this year) is silly since most kids are in college by then anyway. I doubt they will change the no HS play deal but they should, another silly leftover.

Traditionally the winter showcase Is where you hear about the next season plans but ussda has a habit of last minute changes so who knows.

They should just go full calendar year and be done with it already. U19 (01's this year) is silly since most kids are in college by then anyway. I doubt they will change the no HS play deal but they should, another silly leftover.
I agree on a calendar year approach, but the exception should be U18/19. This mix allows players born in the later months of a birth year (HS juniors at U18) to have somewhere to play their senior year. Otherwise, it’s a full year of training, gameplay, and prep they would miss out on prior to entering (and likely playing in) college.

I agree on a calendar year approach, but the exception should be U18/19. This mix allows players born in the later months of a birth year (HS juniors at U18) to have somewhere to play their senior year. Otherwise, it’s a full year of training, gameplay, and prep they would miss out on prior to entering (and likely playing in) college.

Nobody has to miss out and there are few players that fit the criteria. The Galaxy has just one of the example Golden State a couple, strikers 3, etc. Why create a combo age group of a dozen or so players? They are the exception not the rule. My u19 player was born in the later half of the year and she's a college freshman already.

Those players had 5-6 age groups they could had played in for the previous 5-6 years or so and when your 18-19yrs old and haven't found somewhere to train & play by then don't think DA is going to make a difference for such a small group of players. Go play usl or something else if needed.

Nobody has to miss out and there are few players that fit the criteria. The Galaxy has just one of the example Golden State a couple, strikers 3, etc. Why create a combo age group of a dozen or so players? They are the exception not the rule. My u19 player was born in the later half of the year and she's a college freshman already.

Those players had 5-6 age groups they could had played in for the previous 5-6 years or so and when your 18-19yrs old and haven't found somewhere to train & play by then don't think DA is going to make a difference for such a small group of players. Go play usl or something else if needed.

I don't understand this post. I thought the point of the prior post was that kids who are DA-level, who perhaps played DA all the way through, who happen to be born in the second half of the year and don't graduate from high school after U18 (like the upper-half calendar year kids), shouldn't be left twisting in the wind with nowhere to play during their senior year. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

I don't understand this post. I thought the point of the prior post was that kids who are DA-level, who perhaps played DA all the way through, who happen to be born in the second half of the year and don't graduate from high school after U18 (like the upper-half calendar year kids), shouldn't be left twisting in the wind with nowhere to play during their senior year. Perhaps I am misunderstanding.

You can be born in the 2nd half of year play u18 and be a senior in highschool.

U19 is a different story , players are college age for the most part > 75 % of them in DA have already finished high school by then so you're creating a special combo ag (u18/19) for a minority of the players who are essentially playing down. For example 01's playing with mostly 02's and the better 03's this season. If your a u19 player already there are plenty of other leagues to play in like USL with competition that's more appropriate.

Yes, we were told that it is happening. I suppose anything can change but I feel very comfortable with the person who works at our club who told us
Another telling sign that DA is happening with 08 is the NPL league that all academies are currently playing in. Our 08 won’t be playing in it next year (presumably) because we will be playing academy but the 09 in the NPL will have one more year

Another telling sign that DA is happening with 08 is the NPL league that all academies are currently playing in. Our 08 won’t be playing in it next year (presumably) because we will be playing academy but the 09 in the NPL will have one more year
How has your experience been with the NPL league?

How has your experience been with the NPL league?
I think it has been “ok”. Competition has been slightly better then scdsl in some respect but their are only 4-5 competitive teams. Our team has been playing up in age scdsl 11v11 so the transition between 9v9 to 11v11 in the same weekend (sometimes same day) can be tough.

I do think it was a good league to prep for academy

U19 is a different story , players are college age for the most part > 75 % of them in DA have already finished high school by then so you're creating a special combo ag (u18/19) for a minority of the players who are essentially playing down. For example 01's playing with mostly 02's and the better 03's this season. If your a u19 player already there are plenty of other leagues to play in like USL with competition that's more appropriate.
Curious, why does this bother you?

Whatever the plan is, they should just announce it and allow clubs to prepare. The whole process seems very unorganized...

Talk to your director next week. There are meetings/discussions this week in Florida at the event.

The normal course is they let directors know in December, change there mind sometimes, and finally published something in Feb or as late as March like this year.

Curious, why does this bother you?

No bother to me just not think it's appropriate platform for adults at that age or to play down.

18 yrs olds or turning 19 are essentially adults so why with play kids up to 3 years younger, that's not what DA should be about IMO. Competition is just not good enough and there are plenty of other places to play vs other adults.

U19 is not a different story. The reason they do the last age group a combo of 18/19 is that you have kids that started school later. My kid being one of them. When the BULK of my kids team are seniors...there will be some on that team that are juniors. So when they become seniors they are u19s. That is why both ECNL and DA have the final age group as U18/U19

Back