2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

The Stanford model, like many big schools serious about athletic championshjps., is a Freshman year working on a managed weight and muscle conditioning program and no game time, then a Redshirt Freshman year with full practice duty and occasional game appearances, then a year as backup (or maybe second backup), and if you are not a starter or an obvious candidate to start next year (Redshirt Junior, Year 4 of 5 allowed), the time has come to be checking out the rugby team.

KM blew that model up by becoming starter in her second year. Any top GK recruit just coming into the school will be ready for the big time just in time.

Yeah, I appreciate the tutorial but that is not always how it works out in practice. I believe Emily Oliver started as a frosh won the national title in her Soph year and Jane Campbell was nearly a 4-year starter (coming on when Oliver was injured; she originally rotated a couple of games but started the vast majority). My recollection is that AJ (who did RS) and Rood rotated for 2 years (with AJ getting the more meaningful starts but neither being FT starters) and, even this year, KM and Rood rotated some. Micah was a 4-year starter at UCLA and Collins will be a 4-year starter (who did RS her freshman year because Sammy Jo was leading USC to a national title). Emily Boyd was a 4-year starter at Cal after Emily Krueger was (I think) and EB will be followed another 4 year starter in AA.

My point is not about what the model is or has been at Stanford - finding an Emily Oliver or a Jane Campbell and not worrying from freshman year? Pretty good model. Or is it the RS model as you describe - also a pretty good model, especially if you also have Catarina Marcario and mates on the field - but what, in practice, is going to be an interesting thing to watch in the fall when another elite GK arrives. Will Ratcliffe rotate them? Will he RS the frosh? Will one win out and the other will sit?

The Stanford model, like many big schools serious about athletic championshjps., is a Freshman year working on a managed weight and muscle conditioning program and no game time, then a Redshirt Freshman year with full practice duty and occasional game appearances, then a year as backup (or maybe second backup), and if you are not a starter or an obvious candidate to start next year (Redshirt Junior, Year 4 of 5 allowed), the time has come to be checking out the rugby team.
Yeah, I appreciate the tutorial but that is not always how it works out in practice. I believe Emily Oliver started as a frosh won the national title in her Soph year and Jane Campbell was nearly a 4-year starter (coming on when Oliver was injured; she originally rotated a couple of games but started the vast majority). My recollection is that AJ (who did RS) and Rood rotated for 2 years (with AJ getting the more meaningful starts but neither being FT starters) and, even this year, KM and Rood rotated some. Micah was a 4-year starter at UCLA and Collins will be a 4-year starter (who did RS her freshman year because Sammy Jo was leading USC to a national title). Emily Boyd was a 4-year starter at Cal after Emily Krueger was (I think) and EB will be followed another 4 year starter in AA.

My point is not about what the model is or has been at Stanford - finding an Emily Oliver or a Jane Campbell and not worrying from freshman year? Pretty good model. Or is it the RS model as you describe - also a pretty good model, especially if you also have Catarina Marcario and mates on the field - but what, in practice, is going to be an interesting thing to watch in the fall when another elite GK arrives. Will Ratcliffe rotate them? Will he RS the frosh? Will one win out and the other will sit?

I think if the new kid is smart enough to see how the program works she will take the redshirt year as a free year at Stanford Soccer Academy.

I think if the new kid is smart enough to see how the program works she will take the redshirt year as a free year at Stanford Soccer Academy.

she may be the starter. That may be how the program works. Worked for Oliver. Barnhart. Campbell. That’s the point I’m making. None of us knows and it will be fun to watch because there is great talent there (Capt Obvious statement, obviously)

Yep, not answering that one, and yes have read many documents. It's just the thought of making the decision with your DD to put her name out there, then to have to make a huge decision quickly. The only way to prepare I suppose is to visit your old teammates and new friends at potential schools until she makes up her mind to transfer to show interest.

I know a few players who have transferred. They sometimes put the feelers out in "back channels" such as club coaches, friends, etc.

I know a few players who have transferred. They sometimes put the feelers out in "back channels" such as club coaches, friends, etc.
She's already been vocal about her issues with the program, they've asked her to be more of a leader, which she was as a first yr, and asked how she wanted to be coached, which in my book is f'd up. We are working all channels. Give me your opionion on the best performing programs or breakout programs/coaches you've had experience with.. no sales men please. I'm reading this blog as a weed out method among other regional blogs. TIA

She's already been vocal about her issues with the program, they've asked her to be more of a leader, which she was as a first yr, and asked how she wanted to be coached, which in my book is f'd up. We are working all channels. Give me your opionion on the best performing programs or breakout programs/coaches you've had experience with.. no sales men please. I'm reading this blog as a weed out method among other regional blogs. TIA
What kind of parameters? Does the conference/division matter, or is it more about just getting with a good program and playing time? If it does matter, DI, II, III, NAIA, JC? Specific to west coast or any region in particular? Lots of folks on here have inside info and great insight, although the ones who really know will likely PM you rather than post it publicly... folks who put programs on blast publicly generally don't know squat.

What kind of parameters? Does the conference/division matter, or is it more about just getting with a good program and playing time? If it does matter, DI, II, III, NAIA, JC? Specific to west coast or any region in particular? Lots of folks on here have inside info and great insight, although the ones who really know will likely PM you rather than post it publicly... folks who put programs on blast publicly generally don't know squat.
Top 5 conferences, D1, Top 25

KM blew that model up by becoming starter in her second year. Any top GK recruit just coming into the school will be ready for the big time just in time.

Doms got a ton of minutes as a true freshman... and frankly, with JB gone, I think Maya should have started sooner.

Hey Map, how are you feeling about things now? Are you still bitter about last year? LMAO. Are you sad I predicted the kneelers and your daughter not win a natty in her four years of trying. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Happy new year MAP!

Lolololololololololololol

For my kid it was the opportunity to play substantial
minutes as a freshman at a D1, tier 1 academic college in a TOP 10 conference and receive substantial athletic/academic money.
@eastbaysoccer I think you could make an entire new thread about playing time. Some kids on the bench seem to be used by the coach like the Washington Generals were with the Harlem Globetrotters. It’s sad to see to me when bench players are essentially a team to scrimmage against for the starters. My kids is a starter but I see players who should play more but who don’t and it’s a tragedy.

@eastbaysoccer I think you could make an entire new thread about playing time. Some kids on the bench seem to be used by the coach like the Washington Generals were with the Harlem Globetrotters. It’s sad to see to me when bench players are essentially a team to scrimmage against for the starters. My kids is a starter but I see players who should play more but who don’t and it’s a tragedy.

There is nothing new about that.

Back