2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

I think your analysis is spot on - the Cal '17 team (the team that lost to SCU after Indigo got her red card - she had a pretty funny tweet about that yesterday) was more complete than the current team. In a way that's my point - this year's team is basically the same as last year's except with an elite GK. I am biased (maybe @GKDAD and @gkrent may agree) but I do think that an elite GK can transform a team b/c the D can play differently, more confidently, take more risks, not get as tight as a close game gets into the later minutes and I think Anderson has. I am a big fan of Boyd's as a person and as a GK but Anderson comes in more "Pac12 ready" than Emily did (I think she'd agree).

(full disclosure: I know both these women really well (I'm not related to either nor am I affiliated with Cal other than from having done my graduate studies there a million years ago). I root hard for Anderson - as hard as I do for my own kids (other than when mine has faced her in HS and next year in college) - and hope Cal can get over the First Round hurdle on Saturday. My younger kids have a conflicting game so I will miss it, unfortunately)
Completely agree. Michigan is basically the same team it was last year with a healthy GK. Gave up half the number of goals. Kinda the same as a hockey team heading through playoffs. Can’t say it makes it any easier to watch the tight games............last week against Penn St nearly through me over the ledge. :)

money on Santa Clara. For CAL, WCC post season math -ups have been there kryptonite.
This could go to penalties.

CSUF vs. USC an interesting match that will be well attended and fun. gonna be close

That is correct. All host teams are required to do so for each rounds including 2nd round games that they are not in

this is great news because if I was going to have to convince Speed to hold his phone up and somehow keep it pointed at the action it would have been a tall favor with massive bribes attached most likely involving expensive craft beer.

Doesn't look like it. USC - CSUF game is on f'in PAC12 channel. I will be at game, but that makes it difficult for grandparents to watch.

Some of the broadcasts (especially the livestreams) are free. The PAC 12 network sucks. However, the ACC and SEC followed their model and now most everything is outside of your regular cable package. I had to add the ACC and SEC networks (thru HULU) for the season. I will be cancelling that shit on December 7th....

What did Gordon Gecko say, "Greed is good."

this is great news because if I was going to have to convince Speed to hold his phone up and somehow keep it pointed at the action it would have been a tall favor with massive bribes attached most likely involving expensive craft beer.
Or Whiskey...

You are one of the most savvy soccer observers I "know" (in that anonymous sort of way) but having watched a ton of Cal games for the last decade and, most relevantly, the last two years, I'd say that this year's D is a direct result of having an excellent GK. In 2017, they had Boyd in goal + 3 seniors on the back to go with their excellent frosh center back (who has had a great year this year and did great in particular v UCLA) and 1 of those seniors on the back was an all-American. They had a good season and had a fluke 1 min in to Round 1 v SCU when that all-American drew a red card, SCU hit a perfect free kick and that was that. Last year, they had Smith as a soph but no seasoned D and an inexperienced GK and the team struggled. This year, the team is largely the same as last except AA in goal - the D IS better as a unit and AA is a big reason for that (I'm partial to GKs and their impact on the team). I'd even say that that the D, not the GK directly, was what won that game at UCLA but it was their confidence in their keeper that allowed them to take the chances. She's made THE difference. (as for the Stanford game, I'd say that the GK was the reason it was 4-0 and not 10-0. 13 saves, 39 shots faced, 17 shots on goal. Most notably, Marcario had a whopping 6(!) shots on goal and scored exactly zero goals. Yup, Cal's GK was a difference-maker in that game. Did not give them the win and did allow 4 goals but played a hell of a game)

All that said, it is a fun part of sports that we can have this type of discussion about excellent players. It is not me saying Fishel is not excellent nor you saying that Anderson is not. We are talking about the margins of excellent, excellent players, and it is a tiny # of players that can be part of that discussion. And that's fun. My kid joins the fun directly next year and I can't wait to see more of these players in person.
I agree 100%. It's not only that she is a stud in goal and her team has confidence in her, her communication and organization of that back line is excellent. That IMO that is what sets great goalies apart from good ones.

I agree 100%. It's not only that she is a stud in goal and her team has confidence in her, her communication and organization of that back line is excellent. That IMO that is what sets great goalies apart from good ones.
I wonder if both sophomore goal keepers will enter the portal then. Neither will see any meaningful action for their next two years. And both could start at other good academic schools.

Back