2019 Women's D1 Soccer Talk!!!!

Curious how you assess someone other than Cal's GK more deserving of FOY. She sort of single-handedly turned that team around and was maybe the most impactful player in the conference (maybe Marcario - who is certainly the best player - but even w/o Marcario, Stanford is pretty loaded; take out Anderson and Cal is pretty ordinary). Taking nothing away from UCLA's super frosh (who is excellent) but that's an incredibly talented group of players and it would remain so w/o her in the lineup.
I would also say getting passes from those three is pretty nice too :)

Curious how you assess someone other than Cal's GK more deserving of FOY. She sort of single-handedly turned that team around and was maybe the most impactful player in the conference (maybe Marcario - who is certainly the best player - but even w/o Marcario, Stanford is pretty loaded; take out Anderson and Cal is pretty ordinary). Taking nothing away from UCLA's super frosh (who is excellent) but that's an incredibly talented group of players and it would remain so w/o her in the lineup.

You would think that but Cal's defense was the difference not simply her (4-0 against Stanford illustrates that and a defensive player scoring the winning goal against UCLA is another example). There are plenty of excellent keepers that don't keep their teams in games. Without UCLA's frosh, their vaunted skill means little in the final third. Think about UCLA as an arrow and Fishel as the gnarly business end of that arrow that will make any well laid defensive plans pointless if you let her anywhere near the 18 with a peek at goal.

You would think that but Cal's defense was the difference not simply her (4-0 against Stanford illustrates that and a defensive player scoring the winning goal against UCLA is another example). There are plenty of excellent keepers that don't keep their teams in games. Without UCLA's frosh, their vaunted skill means little in the final third. Think about UCLA as an arrow and Fishel as the gnarly business end of that arrow that will make any well laid defensive plans pointless if you let her anywhere near the 18 with a peek at goal.
MAP, agree Cal back line pretty solid... particularly Smith and Collins. They are excellent, but Angie is phenominal and deserving regardless. There will always be arguments made, but pretty hard to argue against her.

Potential Michigan vs Pepperdine matchup??

UCLA and Stanford get best opening draw in history!

Pepperdine forced to travel!

Titans matchup with Trojans will be fun!
We don't want to get ahead of ourselves but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking at the same thing...

TT and Loyola Marymount matched up early and it was a competitive game.

Not a good draw for TT to get Pepperdine who are facts and can play soccer.

Will be heard for any team to beat BYU in Provo.

You are one of the most savvy soccer observers I "know" (in that anonymous sort of way) but having watched a ton of Cal games for the last decade and, most relevantly, the last two years, I'd say that this year's D is a direct result of having an excellent GK. In 2017, they had Boyd in goal + 3 seniors on the back to go with their excellent frosh center back (who has had a great year this year and did great in particular v UCLA) and 1 of those seniors on the back was an all-American. They had a good season and had a fluke 1 min in to Round 1 v SCU when that all-American drew a red card, SCU hit a perfect free kick and that was that. Last year, they had Smith as a soph but no seasoned D and an inexperienced GK and the team struggled. This year, the team is largely the same as last except AA in goal - the D IS better as a unit and AA is a big reason for that (I'm partial to GKs and their impact on the team). I'd even say that that the D, not the GK directly, was what won that game at UCLA but it was their confidence in their keeper that allowed them to take the chances. She's made THE difference. (as for the Stanford game, I'd say that the GK was the reason it was 4-0 and not 10-0. 13 saves, 39 shots faced, 17 shots on goal. Most notably, Marcario had a whopping 6(!) shots on goal and scored exactly zero goals. Yup, Cal's GK was a difference-maker in that game. Did not give them the win and did allow 4 goals but played a hell of a game)

All that said, it is a fun part of sports that we can have this type of discussion about excellent players. It is not me saying Fishel is not excellent nor you saying that Anderson is not. We are talking about the margins of excellent, excellent players, and it is a tiny # of players that can be part of that discussion. And that's fun. My kid joins the fun directly next year and I can't wait to see more of these players in person.

You are one of the most savvy soccer observers I "know" (in that anonymous sort of way) but having watched a ton of Cal games for the last decade and, most relevantly, the last two years, I'd say that this year's D is a direct result of having an excellent GK. In 2017, they had Boyd in goal + 3 seniors on the back to go with their excellent frosh center back (who has had a great year this year and did great in particular v UCLA) and 1 of those seniors on the back was an all-American. They had a good season and had a fluke 1 min in to Round 1 v SCU when that all-American drew a red card, SCU hit a perfect free kick and that was that. Last year, they had Smith as a soph but no seasoned D and an inexperienced GK and the team struggled. This year, the team is largely the same as last except AA in goal - the D IS better as a unit and AA is a big reason for that (I'm partial to GKs and their impact on the team). I'd even say that that the D, not the GK directly, was what won that game at UCLA but it was their confidence in their keeper that allowed them to take the chances. She's made THE difference. (as for the Stanford game, I'd say that the GK was the reason it was 4-0 and not 10-0. 13 saves, 39 shots faced, 17 shots on goal. Most notably, Marcario had a whopping 6(!) shots on goal and scored exactly zero goals. Yup, Cal's GK was a difference-maker in that game. Did not give them the win and did allow 4 goals but played a hell of a game)

All that said, it is a fun part of sports that we can have this type of discussion about excellent players. It is not me saying Fishel is not excellent nor you saying that Anderson is not. We are talking about the margins of excellent, excellent players, and it is a tiny # of players that can be part of that discussion. And that's fun. My kid joins the fun directly next year and I can't wait to see more of these players in person.
Andersen the difference but cal falls to Santa Clara. Who beats Jerry Smith 2x in one year?

My player wasn't cleared to play from her ACL/MCL recovery in that game and we've got some new players so hoping that will make a difference this time around.

When you fire up the Trans Am, I will be warming up the big rig and we can head on to Texas. You can call me Snow Man and I will find a lazy beagle named "Fred" to complete the look. My rig may or may not be full of beer.

When you fire up the Trans Am, I will be warming up the big rig and we can head on to Texas. You can call me Snow Man and I will find a lazy beagle named "Fred" to complete the look. My rig may or may not be full of beer.

MV5BOTg4YzViNTItM2Y5ZS00OTI5LTk2MjMtYzJlMmEwMzFjYzdmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5NjM0NA@@._V1_.jpg

So what could you find that is legally available in California that isn't in Texas to sell for a profit? Why does the song "Earache My Eye" come to mind?

Back