2019/2020 DA Cup Season 05G

Wanted to start a new thread because I'm trying to understand how this whole DA Cup even works. I see there's a Red Group and a Blue Group but I can't seemed to understand how teams were actually placed. It can't be based off last seasons results because I see several Blue Teams that should clearly be in the top group and some Red Group teams that should be in the lower bracket. Any answers would be very helpful. Thanks. With the first cup game under the belt I hope all teams came out healthy given its long season to come.

Placements were based on club results for all age groups. The exceptions to that look like DAs affiliated with pro teams.

Placements were based on club results for all age groups. The exceptions to that look like DAs affiliated with pro teams.
Thanks Soccer Fan. Just seems odd since a lot of teams in the Red Group lost but it doesn't even matter because they're automatically in the top bracket. Maybe I'm not understanding the rules but doesn't seem like top groups have to win.

Thanks Soccer Fan. Just seems odd since a lot of teams in the Red Group lost but it doesn't even matter because they're automatically in the top bracket. Maybe I'm not understanding the rules but doesn't seem like top groups have to win.
Top groups are playing for “ranking” which will in essence effect their placement in the next round

Yes I agree. There can be a lot of variation between how one age group team in a club performs vs the other age groups. Therefore if you look at one particular age group (like ours) the matchups don’t always make good sense. My guess is that scheduling is a constraint and helped to drive how this cup structure was set up. All age groups in a club have cup games the same days/places.

Top groups are playing for “ranking” which will in essence effect their placement in the next round
Kicker thanks for the info. If you're saying top groups are playing for "ranking" than why did some of the top teams didn't play there top players and had players move up in age group and lose? Thats the point I don't understand. They lost but it wasn't a big deal because they knew there in the top bracket. Maybe they didn't know rankings still counts being in the top bracket.

Kicker thanks for the info. If you're saying top groups are playing for "ranking" than why did some of the top teams didn't play there top players and had players move up in age group and lose? Thats the point I don't understand. They lost but it wasn't a big deal because they knew there in the top bracket. Maybe they didn't know rankings still counts being in the top bracket.
I get where you are coming from.....in this case, I don’t think the team you’re referring to is worried about where they end up in the ranking and are doing right by their players and playing them up.

I get where you are coming from.....in this case, I don’t think the team you’re referring to is worried about where they end up in the ranking and are doing right by their players and playing them up.

I wish that was the case Kicker. DA wants players to play up for development not fill rosters in every age group to stay survive. That's not developing players, lying to players and parents thinking your kid is good enough to play up in which they aren't. Pretty sad.

I wish that was the case Kicker. DA wants players to play up for development not fill rosters in every age group to stay survive. That's not developing players, lying to players and parents thinking your kid is good enough to play up in which they aren't. Pretty sad.
Now I’m confused but ok....the players that played up (that I am referring to) are all YNT players. LAG does a great job of moving players up where it’s warranted, as do a hand full of others that I know.
Why do you way it’s DA that wants kids to play up?

In my experience playing up has always been about player development even prior to DA existing.

Kicker also said, "SoCal Blues is just one big recruiting machine." South Bay Beach picked up two U17 YNT players this year that used to be studs at the Blues. Amazing how South Bay Beach is now the recruiting machine. I go back and read some of the stuff and it's hilarious. The defenders of the DA. The truth is South Bay Beach gets to poach now and If I were that club I would seek revenge too :) No full rides either at Beach according to Kicker. No promises of position, just clean wholesome "development" to make the team better. SoCal Youth Soccer at it's finest.

Kicker also said, "SoCal Blues is just one big recruiting machine." South Bay Beach picked up two U17 YNT players this year that used to be studs at the Blues. Amazing how South Bay Beach is now the recruiting machine. I go back and read some of the stuff and it's hilarious. The defenders of the DA. The truth is South Bay Beach gets to poach now and If I were that club I would seek revenge too :) No full rides either at Beach according to Kicker. No promises of position, just clean wholesome "development" to make the team better. SoCal Youth Soccer at it's finest.
You know so little yet run your mouth so much......

Look's like the Quakes 04' team played up for development purposes as well. Del Sol played all 11 players 90 minutes with zero subs against South Bay Beach to learn what's like to play a game with zero subs. Very important part of development of young female athletes.

Now I’m confused but ok....the players that played up (that I am referring to) are all YNT players. LAG does a great job of moving players up where it’s warranted, as do a hand full of others that I know.
Why do you way it’s DA that wants kids to play up?

In my experience playing up has always been about player development even prior to DA existing.

Kicker- my apologies I wasn’t taking about LAG players. I totally agree LAG does a great job pulling up kids like it’s meant too. I support that 100%

Look's like the Quakes 04' team played up for development purposes as well. Del Sol played all 11 players 90 minutes with zero subs against South Bay Beach to learn what's like to play a game with zero subs. Very important part of development of young female athletes.
Justus- Quake players moved players up because they don’t have enough in there older age group so there trying to fill rosters space. Hell with all the 04’s moving up to 03’s they even brought some 06’s to fill in 04’s and 05’s. Numbers don’t look great over there if you ask me.

del Sol just doesn't have many 04 girls. They have some PT listed on their roster...but last weekend those PT players were playing in So Cal for a DPL game.

The problem I have with DA Cup is that it changes the nature of the winter and spring showcases. Up until now you saw teams have very different sub patterns because of college coaches watching (ie getting the kids exposure). Now with the DA Cup going on during the showcases, teams/clubs have an incentive to try to win vs exposing all the kids to college coaches.

And yes...I know DA as an organization doesn't have college placement as its goal.

Justus- Quake players moved players up because they don’t have enough in there older age group so there trying to fill rosters space. Hell with all the 04’s moving up to 03’s they even brought some 06’s to fill in 04’s and 05’s. Numbers don’t look great over there if you ask me.
@gotothebushes , this is the little that I do know: Before the USSF South Bay Beach Developmental Academy was formed, OC had Slammers ECNL, West Coast ECNL, Strikers ECNL and SoCal Blues ECNL. Those four clubs recruited ALL the top players from Beach FC and Legends. The carrot to move clubs to ECNL was simple. Better competition and college scouts. Every year clubs like Beach, Legends and Carlsbad lost good talent at age 13. USSF Beach South Bay DA is now the top dog recruiting machine. The carrot is not college though, it's YNT and promises to play up if said recruit comes. Las Vegas ECNL and NoCal ECNL are the smart ones. ECNL in the long run is the better league. My gut tells me this might be the last year of the DA and a couple guys might be the Lastman standing and the other might be kicking themselves :)

@gotothebushes , this is the little that I do know: Before the USSF South Bay Beach Developmental Academy was formed, OC had Slammers ECNL, West Coast ECNL, Strikers ECNL and SoCal Blues ECNL. Those four clubs recruited ALL the top players from Beach FC and Legends. The carrot to move clubs to ECNL was simple. Better competition and college scouts. Every year clubs like Beach, Legends and Carlsbad lost good talent at age 13. USSF Beach South Bay DA is now the top dog recruiting machine. The carrot is not college though, it's YNT and promises to play up if said recruit comes. Las Vegas ECNL and NoCal ECNL are the smart ones. ECNL in the long run is the better league. My gut tells me this might be the last year of the DA and a couple guys might be the Lastman standing and the other might be kicking themselves :)

Both ECNL and DA are both good leagues. They both have decent competition across the board. Choosing a league is a personal choice and all depends on what the player is looking for. I hope both leagues continue to have successful so more girls can have opportunities to get exposure however they fill it. If you lose one league over the other what do you have? You have LESS girls playing soccer, LESS girls developing and you have LESS girls getting exposure. LESS GIRLS- Doesn't sound good. MORE girls playing soccer is a WINNER!!

This definitely will not be the last year of DA.
Once again the crazy bubbles to the surface. A SouthBay girl who left Blues when DA started and went to Slammers has moved to Beach and now Beach is a “recruiting machine”.....and DA is in its last year. The earth is flat and we never landed on the moon.

I just hope his DD has found a good home.

Back