2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

The best thing about playing Cathedral is that they pay for a three ref crew.

We always have 3 refs as well. I watched part of a tournament this weekend where there was a game with only one ref. Its a good thing it was a JV (?) game or a really slow paced varsity game. Otherwise he would have more than earned that paycheck .

We always have 3 refs as well. I watched part of a tournament this weekend where there was a game with only one ref. Its a good thing it was a JV (?) game or a really slow paced varsity game. Otherwise he would have more than earned that paycheck .
We who?

Except the private schools that can basically recruit.

Big school districts. like San Diego Unified and Poway Unified, allow incoming Freshmen to pick which high school in the district they want to attend. I'm not saying that leads to recruiting, but I do know that some coaches have been investigated by CIF. Poway HS tends to get all the best wrestlers, and RB HS the best baseball players.

This football case was all over the news a few years back -- http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gizes-about-comments-2012may18-htmlstory.html

Some of the December San Diego JV tournament games only have one ref. Yes, we do earn our paycheck especially on the boys games. Some of the new HS refs get put on those solo games just to see how they do and if they are fit enough. There are only a couple schools in SD that have 3 refs for all their games.

I wonder why those few schools are willing to pay for a 3 ref crew for a soccer game. Could it be player safety? Do the schools that only pay for 2 (or 1) referee also skimp on officials for other contact sports?

I wonder why those few schools are willing to pay for a 3 ref crew for a soccer game. Could it be player safety? Do the schools that only pay for 2 (or 1) referee also skimp on officials for other contact sports?
In the Southern Section a 3 ref varsity crew costs $201/game while a 2 ref crew costs $122/game, a difference of $79/game. For a typical schedule of 16 varsity home games (8 boys + 8 girls) it costs the school $1264 more to use 3 ref crews. The OC schools I see using 3 ref varsity crews are located in areas with high incomes and have active booster clubs. I think it's a matter of parents/boosters providing sufficient additional resources for schools to use 3 ref crews for their varsity games.

My DD is a freshman playing JV at Torrey Pines (normally plays for surf '02 ECNL. Only 2 games in but yeah, only saw 1-ref crews so far. Kinda hard to judge off sides calls with 1 whistle blower but they really do cover some ground! Overall DD was unsure coming into season if she wanted to play high school ball but is having a blast (no pressure, camaderie developed on long bus rides, school swag, getting dismissed early from class, etc). Will make ECNL/academy decision very tough for some players for sure.

Good luck to your daughter this season. May she stay healthy and win all the accolades that she desires. My player always liked your player when they were teammates.

And if your kid is who I think then my daughter *really* liked her too because she made her job MUCH easier :cool::cool::cool:

( and if she's not, then she was someone that my DD wished was there more often because she was so amazing!!)

And if your kid is who I think then my daughter *really* liked her too because she made her job MUCH easier :cool::cool::cool:

( and if she's not, then she was someone that my DD wished was there more often because she was so amazing!!)

I just wish that they would have gotten to play more games together. Unfortunately it was tough to get all the pieces together at the same time. Que sera sera...

Anybody know and can explain the new CIF playoff qualifications....Bdobs, I think you would.

My DDs HS team is D5 and last year her HS finished runner-up in the D5 CIF Championships. My DD told me, if they win league this year.....they play in the D2 CIF Playoffs. Why is that?
If it is anything like football, I would assume that it is based on the team's performance over the last two years, but really not too sure. My girl is at Troy, Freeway League, and within the same league there is D1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Check out the following doc from the CIFSS site; http://cifss.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/16-17-soc-preview2.pdf pages 8-10. I am not 100% convinced about the placement but in the past, many high school programs have bragged about how good they are (D4 for example) and that they really could compete with the higher divisions, well, they now have the chance. On the same token, teams that have always gone to semifinals and deeper might not have the same chance.

In the Southern Section a 3 ref varsity crew costs $201/game while a 2 ref crew costs $122/game, a difference of $79/game. For a typical schedule of 16 varsity home games (8 boys + 8 girls) it costs the school $1264 more to use 3 ref crews. The OC schools I see using 3 ref varsity crews are located in areas with high incomes and have active booster clubs. I think it's a matter of parents/boosters providing sufficient additional resources for schools to use 3 ref crews for their varsity games.
is that right? the math doesn't make sense. the two man crew gets $60 a piece and three man crew gets $201? So an AR makes more than a ref doing a dual? and the center makes more? i'm not disputing, because i no longer do high school and therefore don't know, but it sure doesn't sound right......

is that right? the math doesn't make sense. the two man crew gets $60 a piece and three man crew gets $201? So an AR makes more than a ref doing a dual? and the center makes more? i'm not disputing, because i no longer do high school and therefore don't know, but it sure doesn't sound right......
I know the San Diego Section high school soccer referee fees are different than the Southern Section. The Southern Section soccer referee fees for 2016-17 varsity games:
3 referee crew: $75 Referee, $63 for each Asst Referee
2 referee crew: $61 for each Referee
The varsity 3 referee fees stayed the same as 2015-16. The varsity 2 referee crew each got a $2 raise, from $59 to $61.

I know the San Diego Section high school soccer referee fees are different than the Southern Section. The Southern Section soccer referee fees for 2016-17 varsity games:
3 referee crew: $75 Referee, $63 for each Asst Referee
2 referee crew: $61 for each Referee
The varsity 3 referee fees stayed the same as 2015-16. The varsity 2 referee crew each got a $2 raise, from $59 to $61.
i just don't see the logic in that. maybe it's me.....

2-man in SD gets $130 ($65 each) and a 3-man gets $197 ($75, $61, $61). Seems like reasonable amount compared to club fees for 3-man.

Back