2016-1017 GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL SOCCER THREAD

Despite the gripes about his direct style of play, his players that graduated this year had very good college careers. I understand he has softened a bit now that he is a father.

Just because the subject has come up, I notice a lot of talk about how coaches talk to girl players, etc. I don't really get it. No one would complain if it was boys playing football (or soccer). Should we demand the same tactfulness from our football coaches? Maybe so, but it seems like an odd double standard - one that doesn't prepare girls for the real world.

Despite the gripes about his direct style of play, his players that graduated this year had very good college careers. I understand he has softened a bit now that he is a father.

Just because the subject has come up, I notice a lot of talk about how coaches talk to girl players, etc. I don't really get it. No one would complain if it was boys playing football (or soccer). Should we demand the same tactfulness from our football coaches? Maybe so, but it seems like ad odd double standard - one that doesn't prepare girls for the real world.

Great point. What I can tell you from my perspective boys playing football have much different incentives than a young girl playing soccer. Not to mention that I wouldn't want my daughter to accept disrespectful and/or harsh behavior from ANY man not even her father. To me that is a good lesson. For my son lots of issues can be dealt with in different ways than with his sister. For us to not acknowledge the difference between boys and girls is to ignore one of the fundamental facts of human nature. That's why after age 6 or 7 they have gender specific teams. I'm a realist.

Regarding the coach that we were referencing my player asked me to switch her trainers. When I asked her why SHE gave me the reasons (she was 12 or 13 at the time).

Here is the intersting question- with the DA will he still want to coach JSerra since all his club girls can't play high school.
He won't have his girls anymore- let's see if he lasts

Oh wait posted too soon.
Forgot his scam. He's telling families that if they are "scholarshipped" even $100 at JSerra they can play DA.
Yes this is being said lol so he may in fact have is Blues girls

Just because the subject has come up, I notice a lot of talk about how coaches talk to girl players, etc. I don't really get it. No one would complain if it was boys playing football (or soccer). Should we demand the same tactfulness from our football coaches? Maybe so, but it seems like an odd double standard - one that doesn't prepare girls for the real world.
mix bag...some of his girls did well in college and some didn't. Here are some of those Breakaway girls.
•Annie Alvarado-UCLA...I knew she would do well. She was the most skilled player on that team
•Jordan Jesolva-Santa Clara impact player
•Nikki Martino-LMU and played a lot
•Cabria Turang-Utah played more as an upperclassmen
•Sydney Raguse played some at Michigan
•Sydney Zuccalotto-LMU, redshirt player and not playing much
•Taylor Vargo-Pepperdine quit after freshmen year
•Jill Messersmith-Boise St quit after freshmen year

My daughter could only handle it for 6 months or so. He is a good trainer but she wanted a more tactful communicator.
My DD did one private session and said, it was meh and never went back.

I have friends that grew up knowing GB. They said, GB didn't play high level club soccer or college soccer. His brother I heard was a great GK though and played for Cherif Zein.

My daughter could only handle it for 6 months or so. He is a good trainer but she wanted a more tactful communicator.

Werd! I gotten the pleasure of coaching against him during a meaningless summer tournament where his team was playing up. Boy! if the parents could only here how he communicates with his U littles. This is what they preach not to do during National D License training lol. Good for your DD not to stand for that.....

As your list shows, excellent college players. BTW - Jill Messersmith transferred, she didn't quit. And Alvarado was with him the longest, why do you think she was the most skillful player on the team (other than perhaps Jesolva)? Jesolva was the best player on SCU last year. Coincidently, both were also responsible for beating USC last year. Neither of them you would classify as "athletes." My point . . . his ugly style (not his manner) seems to prepare girls to play college soccer. BTW, what trainer would you recommend?

MAP - appreciate the response. I don't necessarily disagree with you. My question would be whether you would allow your son to accept disrespectful and/or harsh behavior from ANY man not even his father? I get why you wouldn't allow it of your daughter. And I would say that our kids are on separate teams because they are physically different. I have trouble accepting the fact that our girls cannot mentally handle the same things we expect our boys to handle. They don't play on different teams when they get jobs (unless they are physical jobs).

As your list shows, excellent college players. BTW - Jill Messersmith transferred, she didn't quit. And Alvarado was with him the longest, why do you think she was the most skillful player on the team (other than perhaps Jesolva)? Jesolva was the best player on SCU last year. Coincidently, both were also responsible for beating USC last year. Neither of them you would classify as "athletes." My point . . . his ugly style (not his manner) seems to prepare girls to play college soccer. BTW, what trainer would you recommend?

MAP - appreciate the response. I don't necessarily disagree with you. My question would be whether you would allow your son to accept disrespectful and/or harsh behavior from ANY man not even his father? I get why you wouldn't allow it of your daughter. And I would say that our kids are on separate teams because they are physically different. I have trouble accepting the fact that our girls cannot mentally handle the same things we expect our boys to handle. They don't play on different teams when they get jobs (unless they are physical jobs).

Mentally I think that a woman can handle anything a man can. The difference is that I think that at a young age women need to be coached differently than men. I would tell my son to toughen up if they coach was good and if my son really wanted to play. I would have an issue with any coach that demeans his players. Leave that to the opposing fans.

Not ALL were excellent college players! Refer to Vargo, Raguse and Zuccalotto. Unless you think they were excellent college players, lmao!

The way you post Glen, it's as if you have skin in the game. Are you one of the Baker Bros? I know from the old forum MB posted on it, but I forgot his alias.

Who would I recommend as trainers? Vince Thomas at Eagles is a fantasic coach. He played as a centerback at UCSB and I believe Tad Bobak was his head coach there. He doesn't bark or joystick his players either. I have seen him develop average players into very good players, good players into strong players and great players into YNT players. Probably the least talked about ECNL Girls DA DOC on this forum.

Skills training at ulittles, I would recommend privates with Matt Evans at Legends and/or attend Cheriff Zein's suchi clinic's.

Not ALL were excellent college players! Refer to Vargo, Raguse and Zuccalotto. Unless you think they were excellent college players, lmao!

The way you post Glen, it's as if you have skin in the game. Are you one of the Baker Bros? I know from the old forum MB posted on it, but I forgot his alias.

Who would I recommend as trainers? Vince Thomas at Eagles is a fantasic coach. He played as a centerback at UCSB and I believe Tad Bobak was his head coach there. He doesn't bark or joystick his players either. I have seen him develop average players into very good players, good players into strong players and great players into YNT players. Probably the least talked about ECNL Girls DA DOC on this forum.

Skills training at ulittles, I would recommend privates with Matt Evans at Legends and/or attend Cheriff Zein's suchi clinic's.
And George Sipa/Carlos Guerrero skills ulittle clinics. Best about Sipa, Carlos and Cheriff....the cost was like $15-$20 for an hour session.

I also like Hector Alcantar on the boys side. Very tough coach though and will drop F bombs at times and not for everyone. He also played for Cheriff Zein. Plays true possession soccer and can develop his players without needing to recruit the best athletes to do so.

Glen, did you know that Annie Alvarado was a recruited walkon at UCLA and got no money? She was a talented player but she was used by the current coach (not the one that recruited her) as an example of what hard work can do. She was a 3 year starter.

Back