2007 ODP List out

Is there a summer ODP tournament like the Winter Far West Regional in Phoenix? Or is the spring pool for an invitation to the Ojai camp only? If there is a tournament, any idea when it is scheduled or where?

Is there a summer ODP tournament like the Winter Far West Regional in Phoenix? Or is the spring pool for an invitation to the Ojai camp only? If there is a tournament, any idea when it is scheduled or where?
The girls were told that Cal South is taking a team to Florida in June. But they were also told that they would have to re-earn their spot on the team as Cal South was opening the pool back up for the Spring Pool invitees. Add in the DA factor and this team might have a very different look in Florida in June. Cal South does not give out a ton of details but others might know more about the June tournament.

What are everyone's thoughts on the quality of ODP now that the 2007 year group now compete in DA? Those players aren't allowed to be in ODP as well as ECNL coaches frowning upon players joining ODP especially if its during important games and tournaments. Other than possibly being associated as the "best of the rest", does it hold any weight at all from here on out and is it worth it?

What are everyone's thoughts on the quality of ODP now that the 2007 year group now compete in DA? Those players aren't allowed to be in ODP as well as ECNL coaches frowning upon players joining ODP especially if its during important games and tournaments. Other than possibly being associated as the "best of the rest", does it hold any weight at all from here on out and is it worth it?
Obviously losing the DA players is a huge hit. The quality of the older girl ODP teams is still fairly high, but just not at the same level as the 07 team that went to Phoenix. If it is true that ECNL coaches frown upon players participating in ODP, then it's conradictory/misleading messaging because my experience has been that when a player is trying out at different DA/ECNL clubs, the ECNL coaches point out the advantages of less practice days, the ability to play HS and the ability to play ODP.

Having spoken to a few coaches about their thoughts on ODP, I was told they constantly strike out on top level talent because they hire random people that don't even coach for minimum wage. They said they have never coached against any of the "coaches" at these odp camps and the head guy is just looking for a pay day and holds the "elite status" on the end of a stick to parents. One coach said odp never reveals who these coaches are or their background to show they are good evaluators of talent. Making the odp team does mean something but it's not the best evaluation of talent. Making DA or ECNL and playing consistently is probably a better indication of how talented a player is and seeing as both DA and ECNL coaches do not like ODP, I think it will eventually mean less each year until it goes away and something new pops up. That is what I have been told by coaches when I ask.

I believe ODP sent some teams to Florida a couple of summers back.

ODP certainly loses some of its luster when players leave the pool for DA (+/- ECNL). But talent pool in So Cal is big. Still a nice accomplishment to be chosen, and great experience to play with other good players.

In the grand scheme of things, however, don’t know how much a player really gains or misses out from a development, or recruiting standpoint. Great if your kid makes it, but not the end of the world if they don’t or choses not to participate over the long run. YMMV

I agree on the impact of losing DA players from the pool, which perfectly demonstrates the dilution that results from having both DA and ECNL programs in a community as kids grow older. It is my view that there is not a single 07 ECNL team or rising DA team in SoCal that could beat the ODP team that went to Phoenix. I don't think it is close - and that team played together only for two or three days before going to Arizona. Considering that there are a few other excellent local players that did not participate for a variety of reasons, if those kids were added, then you really would have something. You want to know why the US is falling behind the rest of the world, look no further than the decisions made by adults that lead to keeping very good players from playing together. Couple a team like that with excellent coaching talent....well, that would be fun to watch.

I agree on the impact of losing DA players from the pool, which perfectly demonstrates the dilution that results from having both DA and ECNL programs in a community as kids grow older. It is my view that there is not a single 07 ECNL team or rising DA team in SoCal that could beat the ODP team that went to Phoenix. I don't think it is close - and that team played together only for two or three days before going to Arizona. Considering that there are a few other excellent local players that did not participate for a variety of reasons, if those kids were added, then you really would have something. You want to know why the US is falling behind the rest of the world, look no further than the decisions made by adults that lead to keeping very good players from playing together. Couple a team like that with excellent coaching talent....well, that would be fun to watch.

ODP before the birth of DA back about 2007 was not a perfect system - the funnel was too narrow too quickly and a lot of potential players had to be left out because there were not enough roster spots available in any State or Region. Kids who would obviously mature into good adult athletes followed paths into other sports - I frequently read stories about world-class performers in other sports who played soccer when they were younger just for recreation and conditioning. The DA system is broader, I'll give them that, but they seem to have lost the focus on National development what with all the competing egos and profit-seekers involved.

The team that was formed for Cal South didn't miss on very many players. There are certainly a few out there, to your point, that chose not to participate or couldn't for whatever reason (including injury). I can tell you that for those who did travel they had a fantastic experience. The girls all got along really well. They had a blast in the hotel and during meals and their training sessions. They formed great friendships. Most of them already knew who the others were but now had the opportunity to bond. Watching how quickly they came together as a team was probably what impressed me the most. I know that they all wished that they could continue to play together as a team. Parents joked about getting somebody to coach them all together. The kids loved the idea as well. There is no doubt that each of these girls will continue to flourish in their own club systems but it would be nice to see them play together again!

Back