2007 DA

u15/u17 yes there is a interleague and regular league. Regular league for u15/u17 MLS teams is 2-3 games against other MLS teams (lots of travel) regular league is 1 game against other team in local area. (LAUFA,etc)
cannot confirm this but that is the rumor we are hearing
Start of last year it was called EPP and PPP for the 15s and 17s. By late last year, they reorganized around divisions instead. The MLS academies play each other in their division home and away (LAG, LAFC, Seattle, San Jose, Denver, Portland, Vancouver and RSL) and then play "FLEX" games (inter-division/inter-league) games against the Southwest Division (TFA, Ventura, Santa Barbara, MSA, LA Surf, etc) only once a season.

In the u16 season, there is only a Southwest division, no only-MLS division.

There is also the GA Cup for MLS Academies only in April. There will also be a MLS NEXT Fest event in the fall and a MLS Flex Event in the Spring. The spring event is a qualifier for the Playoffs. Teams qualify for the playoffs by winning their division, winning their Flex Event group or an at-large bid based on PPM.

This is really interesting. For the U16s I see newly added teams like FCGS, Albion LV, and LV Sports Academy. Also I see LAFC but no LAG. I’m assuming LAFC is their 07-only “practice” team and not their 07/06 combo team. But no LAG 07-only team? And a lot of more traveling this year to San Diego, Temecula, Chula Vista, Santa Barbara, Phoenix, and Las Vegas…makes my head spin!

This is really interesting. For the U16s I see newly added teams like FCGS, Albion LV, and LV Sports Academy. Also I see LAFC but no LAG. I’m assuming LAFC is their 07-only “practice” team and not their 07/06 combo team. But no LAG 07-only team? And a lot of more traveling this year to San Diego, Temecula, Chula Vista, Santa Barbara, Phoenix, and Las Vegas…makes my head spin!

Yeah, both LAG and LAFC played this weekend. Granted LAG have two 2007s at YNT camps and LAFC have four... (LAFC have 2 or 3 2006s at YNT camp as well)... so it is hard to tell what their numbers of 2007s playing u17 will end up as. The LAG team that played this weekend in Temecula was about half the same as last year, minus 3 playing u17 (and two at camp) and a couple having left (Strikers, Barca AZ, etc). Only two starters looked the same at LAFC, with most of their 2007s playing up as u17 (or at camp). I know LAFC also played four 2008s and several unrostered players. So... yeah, hard to tell what each will do. Sounds like LAG is going to go the route that LAFC's 2006s did last year of just scheduling scrimmages for the boys who don't roster/travel to MLS games whereas LAFC is going to field a u16 team in the league. So, either way a bit of a let down for 2007s who don't make the u17 team. Either you are staying home and getting random scrimmages if that... or you are playing local games instead of at the West MLS opponents.

I think that the MLS intends to essentially create a pyramid, reducing the numbers of players at the MLS academies as they get older but looks like some of the MLS Clubs are fighting against that and trying to keep larger numbers of players around by not cutting 2007s who didn't make u17 or 2005s who didn't make u19. On one hand that's good for late bloomers and let's those players still leverage the resume to hopefully get college eyes... but on the other hand, if you are making pros who are going to go MLS or USL at 18...should be able to have a decent idea of who are the top ten or so with that potential by the u16 season... (If a player isn't going "pro" at 18 and is going to college, then cut them and just write in the contract that the MLS team gets either first-shot or compensation for however long they played if the player goes into the SuperDraft or overseas after college). I lean towards the MLS Clubs only fielding the u15, 17 and 19s and only keeping top 12-14 at each birth year.... rather than keeping 20-22 at each birth year and creating these "practice squads." But, that's just my opinion...

but on the other hand, if you are making pros who are going to go MLS or USL at 18...should be able to have a decent idea of who are the top ten or so with that potential by the u16 season... (If a player isn't going "pro" at 18 and is going to college, then cut them

It's hard because players believe in themselves and think they can make it... also it is still a good training environment and you don't get that at every club that some of these players would leave to go to... so in some cases, being on the LAFC/LAG bench is better training than elsewhere... but, a kid has to play and wants to play. So, if the club is finding those opportunities for a kid to train at a high level with top teammates and is getting games... I don't fault the MLS club for keeping larger numbers. I don't know why they would, because they'll only obligated to field under 15/17/19 teams. But, not my money to burn.

Interesting to see u16 LAFC MLS next but no LA Galaxy u16 team this season. Any insight into where the remaining u16 LA Galaxy players, that are not playing up, are fielding games? Curious as to why they would not put out a u16 team this season?

Interesting to see u16 LAFC MLS next but no LA Galaxy u16 team this season. Any insight into where the remaining u16 LA Galaxy players, that are not playing up, are fielding games? Curious as to why they would not put out a u16 team this season?
Originally, neither LAFC nor Galaxy were going to field u16 because that age group has been combined into u16/17 at the MLS level. I was surprised to see LAFC there as well. Not sure how they pulled that off, but I know they had a lot of u16s who decided they'd rather stay at LAFC and not play at all than go anywhere else.

Originally, neither LAFC nor Galaxy were going to field u16 because that age group has been combined into u16/17 at the MLS level. I was surprised to see LAFC there as well. Not sure how they pulled that off, but I know they had a lot of u16s who decided they'd rather stay at LAFC and not play at all than go anywhere else.

LAFC knew by mid-late last year there would be a u16 team for 2007s and rotate up some 2008s. LAG was supposed to enter a u16 MLS Next but instead entered a second u17 team in SoCal league. That is for 2007s not on u17 MLS Next and 08s playing up.

LAFC knew by mid-late last year there would be a u16 team for 2007s and rotate up some 2008s. LAG was supposed to enter a u16 MLS Next but instead entered a second u17 team in SoCal league. That is for 2007s not on u17 MLS Next and 08s playing up.
Hey, you're right. LAG are in... Interesting that they put a team in there instead of in the MLS NEXT. This reminds me of how both LAFC and LAG are putting their u19s in UPSL. I wonder what is their issue. Why use the league for all but two age groups? Interesting.
Team Page: .

Also, they beat Strikers 06s 14-0. Ouch. 5-0 another result.

To be fair they are playing a year up in a league that’s maybe not that competitive. Interesting fact though is that LA Galaxy U16 did participate in the Istria Youth Cup in Croatia this week and you can watch there game here.

They ultimately lost 2 games and won 1, coming in 3rd in their bracket and settling for a 3rd place consolation game.

Hi I’m happy I’m able to access this site again. I thought it was shut down. So how is the season so far, any thoughts or comments?

Hi I’m happy I’m able to access this site again. I thought it was shut down. So how is the season so far, any thoughts or comments?

Bit of a wash year for MLS Next, in my opinion... LAFC and LAG have their top 2007s playing u17... some of the other top 07s fled SoCal for Austin, Phili, RSL, etc... leaving a watered down u16 year.
Other than that.... results what I expected. Strikers good, everyone destroys Vegas. Chula Vista still a good team for a 2nd or 3rd year... LA Surf/LAUFA/ TFA continue to circulate kids around while maintaining a mid-table presence. A bit concerned if TFA has lost its luster. Most teams were nervous to play TFA 3-5 years ago. MSA, Santa Barbara, Fusion, Albion, Nomads... all seem to be the same as last year. Punching each other but little separation between.
Barca's improved... snagged some kids from Chicago, LAG, Revs, etc. Doubt they'll beat Strikers but definitely better than last year. I think skill levels are comparable, maybe Barca better in the midfield, but I think Willie has well-oiled ship that plays like a team and likes to work. That's going to be hard to beat.
Other than Barca, I don't see any major developments or changes... other than LAFC/LAG using the u16s (LAG: u17s SoCal League) for their 07s and 08s who are can't time at u17 or u15... meaning you never know who you will see when you play them. You could see 4-5 2008s or you could see a whole 07 squad... who knows. I'm not wildly excited about the level of play for the level but am curious how far Strikers can go...

As far as ECNL, a bit surprised by SDSC but not really. The usual top teams are near the top in Pats and SD Surf. I think either would slot in around 6th or 8th in the MLS Next but good for them. I wish the MLS Next league was smaller and more clubs in ECNL personally, rejuvenating high school soccer... but that's a tangent.
Curious what will come of LAFC SoCal Youth/Real SoCal... People like to play them now and say they beat LAFC... problem is they are still just Real SoCal with different uniforms and can't handle getting everyone's best punch. So... how will they handle the pretty uniforms but not the same resources and players? Their high school age boys teams are 5th, 10th, 5th and 4th... if those ECNL teams don't at least qualify for Champions League and playoffs... going to be hard to keep talent, becoming a regional club for the kids who don't want to drive to a better club... Especially when some MLS Next teams will allow a kid to go to a private high school soccer powerhouse and still play for them with a waiver.

All that and $5 will buy you a drink at Starbucks, will likely change in a week and half the time I don't even agree with myself.

Bit of a wash year for MLS Next, in my opinion... LAFC and LAG have their top 2007s playing u17... some of the other top 07s fled SoCal for Austin, Phili, RSL, etc... leaving a watered down u16 year.
Other than that.... results what I expected. Strikers good, everyone destroys Vegas. Chula Vista still a good team for a 2nd or 3rd year... LA Surf/LAUFA/ TFA continue to circulate kids around while maintaining a mid-table presence. A bit concerned if TFA has lost its luster. Most teams were nervous to play TFA 3-5 years ago. MSA, Santa Barbara, Fusion, Albion, Nomads... all seem to be the same as last year. Punching each other but little separation between.
Barca's improved... snagged some kids from Chicago, LAG, Revs, etc. Doubt they'll beat Strikers but definitely better than last year. I think skill levels are comparable, maybe Barca better in the midfield, but I think Willie has well-oiled ship that plays like a team and likes to work. That's going to be hard to beat.
Other than Barca, I don't see any major developments or changes... other than LAFC/LAG using the u16s (LAG: u17s SoCal League) for their 07s and 08s who are can't time at u17 or u15... meaning you never know who you will see when you play them. You could see 4-5 2008s or you could see a whole 07 squad... who knows. I'm not wildly excited about the level of play for the level but am curious how far Strikers can go...

As far as ECNL, a bit surprised by SDSC but not really. The usual top teams are near the top in Pats and SD Surf. I think either would slot in around 6th or 8th in the MLS Next but good for them. I wish the MLS Next league was smaller and more clubs in ECNL personally, rejuvenating high school soccer... but that's a tangent.
Curious what will come of LAFC SoCal Youth/Real SoCal... People like to play them now and say they beat LAFC... problem is they are still just Real SoCal with different uniforms and can't handle getting everyone's best punch. So... how will they handle the pretty uniforms but not the same resources and players? Their high school age boys teams are 5th, 10th, 5th and 4th... if those ECNL teams don't at least qualify for Champions League and playoffs... going to be hard to keep talent, becoming a regional club for the kids who don't want to drive to a better club... Especially when some MLS Next teams will allow a kid to go to a private high school soccer powerhouse and still play for them with a waiver.

All that and $5 will buy you a drink at Starbucks, will likely change in a week and half the time I don't even agree with myself.
I hope everybody had a great weekend of soccer. I wanted to expand on these comments. 1) I believe the current 19 teams of the South-West MLS Next U-16 League are just too much. In my opinion, it should be limited to about 12 teams, more compact and to a certain level. I have no ill feelings towards the new teams, but the new Vegas teams are really not making the league any better, for players and parents alike (even for the Vegas teams). 2) The "League" games and "Flex Games" separation is putting weight of each game very differently. This makes the Leagues games more important since winning the League title can lead directly to the Final playoffs (Texas games), whereas winning the top qualifiers for the Flex Games can only lead to the Qualifiers (Maryland games), which ultimately leads to the Final playoffs. From these points I see the ECNL system a much refined system of operation. Again, my opinions can't even buy you anything at the local grocery store.

Back