2007 DA

Casa Grande and online schooling, no thanks. Do any other academies other than RSL and Union have legit in-person schooling?

Thanks, I thought I was missing something...I usually am.
The schooling at Union is a joke. They have to water down each subject to accommodate all levels, languages, etc.. A supposed ninth grader is still doing basic arithmetic rather than the Algebra/Geo most curriculums follow. Hope most have a plan B. If it doesn’t work out there, they will be academically behind and will struggle to get the grades necessary to get into a decent college.

The schooling at Union is a joke. They have to water down each subject to accommodate all levels, languages, etc.. A supposed ninth grader is still doing basic arithmetic rather than the Algebra/Geo most curriculums follow. Hope most have a plan B. If it doesn’t work out there, they will be academically behind and will struggle to get the grades necessary to get into a decent college.
That's disappointing to hear. We were very impressed with the school facilities, curriculum, and the staff's resumes when we visited a number of years ago. Sounds like that its more form over substance, although I haven't heard any complaints from the family whose son goes there.

Does anyone know if yellow cards carry over to the next season or does it reset? Thanks
As in 2022-2023? Surely no. MLS Next uses IFAB unless specifically outlined in Rules and Regulations. Nothing in there about some yellow card hangover.

Rumors are going around about SD Surf and Pats switching to MLS Next for the upcoming season. Does anybody know if true?

If true that would obviously be a big blow to ECNL Boys, at least in SoCal. I thought it would take a few years to sort out the two leagues...its going pretty quickly.
Same. I thought the “play at a high level but still get high school” draw of the ECNL would have some effect. I’m also surprised.

if that happens, where do you think Surf and Pats would slot into the MLS Next Rankings?
LAFC scrimmaged Pats at the end of the season last year. They’re the same as Nomads or LAUFA. Surf would likely be in and around Strikers. Go from fighting for 1st in the division to fighting for 3rd.

Hey, someone asked about the schools. Talked to a Galaxy mom yesterday who is also an educator. Her kid is able to take online AP classes and she’s pleased. She said her son is taking the same class she teaches. She’s gone over the syllabus and is in communication with the teachers. She said it’s been better for her kid because they miss less class time because of travel and able to manage better. She seemed happy.

LAFC scrimmaged Pats at the end of the season last year. They’re the same as Nomads or LAUFA. Surf would likely be in and around Strikers. Go from fighting for 1st in the division to fighting for 3rd.

Hey, someone asked about the schools. Talked to a Galaxy mom yesterday who is also an educator. Her kid is able to take online AP classes and she’s pleased. She said her son is taking the same class she teaches. She’s gone over the syllabus and is in communication with the teachers. She said it’s been better for her kid because they miss less class time because of travel and able to manage better. She seemed happy.

When the DA was around Pats was the only club that gave LAFC and Galaxy a fight at every level. Looking at Surf, Pats and Strikers if you rank them by their best team by age I think you get something like this: U13 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U14 Strikers/Surf/Pats, U15 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U16 Strikers/Pats/Surf, U17 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U18 Strikers/Surf/Pats.
That said the best team of each club be: Strikers U14, Pats U16 and Surf U15.

When the DA was around Pats was the only club that gave LAFC and Galaxy a fight at every level. Looking at Surf, Pats and Strikers if you rank them by their best team by age I think you get something like this: U13 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U14 Strikers/Surf/Pats, U15 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U16 Strikers/Pats/Surf, U17 Surf/Strikers/Pats, U18 Strikers/Surf/Pats.

I think Pats had some decent older teams, like in the 04 and 03s but I don't think the last few years have been good for them. The pandemic, ECNL vs MLS Next... I also wouldn't say they gave a fight at every level. Last DA game against Pats just before pandemic was 5-0 LAFC 07s and LAG beat them 7-2. LAFC 06s beat Pats 4-0.

Good club and good option but I think they'd be a tier below Strikers, SD Surf and TFA.

I thought Pats lost players who wanted to play MLS Next. Aiden to Strikers, etc... Did they lose more? I thought they had a good 07 midfielder but he was playing up. Gavin?
Same with that u15 SD Surf Team. Kyrome went back to LAFC. Oliver to Austin. Over the last year, Surf 07s has also had several players try out at LAG and LAFC but not make it so I figure they're going to be good but in the 3-6th range.
I think that unfortunately Pats and Surf need to jump into the MLS Next to stay near the top of the perceived food chain but I figure they will both be in and around the middle. Maybe Surf can keep their top talent who don't want to drive all the way to Carson or LA but Pats is close enough to continue to have their best players picked off by good performing local teams (i.e: u15 Strikers) or the MLS academies. As an non-San Diegoan... seems like Surf has the perceived role of top club in San Diego so I imagine they will keep their talent that don't want to move out of state.

IMO, the key for clubs to keep their top 07 talent is to pitch that the MLS academies don't have a u16 team (only a u17 combo team). Then pitch that they will get more minutes all the way through their sophomore year. Then, I think top talent needs to decide... can my current club get me to my goals or do I need to jump to an MLS academy for my u17 and u18/19 seasons (Junior and Senior years). I am curious to see who stays at LAG/LAFC for the "U16" season. Or if they are at LAG/LAFC they have to decide if they believe they will be able to get playing time as an 06 or if they are relegated to the scrimmage team. Tough decisions for families for sure.

IMO, the key for clubs to keep their top 07 talent is to pitch that the MLS academies don't have a u16 team (only a u17 combo team). Then pitch that they will get more minutes all the way through their sophomore year. Then, I think top talent needs to decide... can my current club get me to my goals or do I need to jump to an MLS academy for my u17 and u18/19 seasons (Junior and Senior years). I am curious to see who stays at LAG/LAFC for the "U16" season. Or if they are at LAG/LAFC they have to decide if they believe they will be able to get playing time as an 06 or if they are relegated to the scrimmage team. Tough decisions for families for sure.
It will be interesting to see how non-MLS clubs manage the changing landscape the last few years has brought, particularly for the u14 and older teams. The allure of playing men's soccer in college has declined which used to be their top marketing pitch. With the DA league they added the professional pathway draw, but now there is the expansion of fully funded MLS youth academies to complete with. Then add a new generation of parents that aren't as competitively focused as Gen X and they are probably looking at a serious reevaluation of their business model in the next few years. San Diego clubs are slightly better off that there isn't a local MLS youth academy... yet, although several players left the area to join academies.

Back