2007 DA

the SoCal area has had 2 of the regional U15 YNT day camps-- any idea of the follow-up on this age group? Seems like the 07 is a pretty strong group in this region
They were just ID centers. I wouldn't put too much stock into those. Some of the selections were random or seemed driven by the club(s). Players were promised feedback from those and haven't received it yet. Mexico, US YNT and a few other countries were still out at games, even if after the ID centers.

IMO, nationally, there are some holes in the 07 age group. I don’t feel as if it’s as strong as the 05s were their u15 season. SoCal is as strong as ever. SoCal is always the most dominant region… weather, culture, etc.
But, will be nice to see the 06s get a u17 WC

IMO, nationally, there are some holes in the 07 age group. I don’t feel as if it’s as strong as the 05s were their u15 season. SoCal is as strong as ever. SoCal is always the most dominant region… weather, culture, etc.
But, will be nice to see the 06s get a u17 WC

Where do you see as the biggest opportunities within the age group?

Completely agree that it would be nice for the 06s!

Where do you see as the biggest opportunities within the age group?

Completely agree that it would be nice for the 06s!

They are some standout players at some positions and those playing at the highest level 1-2 years up...
Axel Kai, Diego Roccio as forwards
Perez, Macfarlane, Turner, Soto as midfielders

There are some very good u15 defenders with a lot of potential but there aren't a lot of 07s who could be dominant defenders right now at the u17 level. I don't hold this against them because of puberty. Next year will be a bit more telling... what 07s will be starting defenders on the u17s alongside the 06s in the MLS combo teams?

Goalkeepers are notorious late-bloomers and the position is so size-dependent so I don't really start thinking about who is elite until enough of them cross 6ft. (Yes, short keepers matter, yes they're good... but also yes, they're at a perceived disadvantage that they have to compensate with speed but there are also some tall and fast keepers who have both the skillsets... look at those just called in. Eyestone is like 6'4" or 6'5" and the rest are all over 6ft... as 06s.)

Reddevildad,

What are you basing that opinion on? Have you seen the non SoCal players live or on film? I know everyone here has likely seen Diego play many times over the last 4-5 years. Axel’s age is a huge question mark. But outside of that, just curious how people are forming their perspectives.

I also think you have to evaluate why a player is playing up - if it’s because of physical size (maturing early is a red flag, but elite size and speed is good), vs technical and tactical capabilities.

and I do agree that the SoCal player pool is way deeper than any other region. You can see that in some success the academies that recruited the 07’s out of San Diego are having.

They are some standout players at some positions and those playing at the highest level 1-2 years up...
Axel Kai, Diego Roccio as forwards
Perez, Macfarlane, Turner, Soto as midfielders

There are some very good u15 defenders with a lot of potential but there aren't a lot of 07s who could be dominant defenders right now at the u17 level. I don't hold this against them because of puberty. Next year will be a bit more telling... what 07s will be starting defenders on the u17s alongside the 06s in the MLS combo teams?

Goalkeepers are notorious late-bloomers and the position is so size-dependent so I don't really start thinking about who is elite until enough of them cross 6ft. (Yes, short keepers matter, yes they're good... but also yes, they're at a perceived disadvantage that they have to compensate with speed but there are also some tall and fast keepers who have both the skillsets... look at those just called in. Eyestone is like 6'4" or 6'5" and the rest are all over 6ft... as 06s.)

Reddevildad,

What are you basing that opinion on? Have you seen the non SoCal players live or on film? I know everyone here has likely seen Diego play many times over the last 4-5 years. Axel’s age is a huge question mark. But outside of that, just curious how people are forming their perspectives.

I also think you have to evaluate why a player is playing up - if it’s because of physical size (maturing early is a red flag, but elite size and speed is good), vs technical and tactical capabilities.

and I do agree that the SoCal player pool is way deeper than any other region. You can see that in some success the academies that recruited the 07’s out of San Diego are having.

Just my opinion on a wildly subjective topic that will almost entirely change in a 6 month window and I probably won't even agree with myself in 8 months.

Some live. Some on film. Some friends at MLS Academies who play with/against players and we chat because practices are like 90 minutes and I get tired of working remotely so we text while they sit in some other state and do the same thing.

I personally don't believe Axel is an 07 but I also don't really care and even more so, ain't the guy to stress about a 14 or 16 year old's eligibility. I remember LAGSD posting on instagram back in the day about him being an 05. Again, curious... but not really. haha.

Why a player plays up? In my experience, I haven't seen players playing up at MLS academies who are not both more physically mature than their same age peers and as technical/tactically competent as those a year or two older.
I have not seen MLS academies pull up brilliant tacticians who are too small or huge players who can't touch the ball.
To be clear, I am talking specifically about MLS Academies because that is where the overwhelming majority of YNT players are coming from... for whatever reasons that I don't care about debating.

I agree... SoCal pool has always been significantly deeper, since even pre-MLS. Your top teams in national tournaments have always come out of SoCal. It's the benefit of being beat up every week in 70-90 degree weather and a soccer dominant/international melting pot. RSL is reaping the benefit of it and is heavily scouting anything in the IE from Redlands south to the border.

Can anyone comment on this weekend's LAFC's 0-1 loss to Chula Vista? Why was LAFC shut down to nil? Is Chula Vista's defense that formidable?

Interesting results this weekend. Looks like Chula Vista may be the team to beat.
They have close ties with Xolo’s. I think part of their leadership ran the Futbol Factory and DV7 San Diego. Good coaches. Good soccer.

IMO, Strikers will beat Chula Vista. 2-1 when they face in 2 weeks. You heard it here first. haha.
That result wouldn't surprise me at all, in fact, I'd probably wager on Strikers, although I'd like to see a CV win. It will certainly be the big SW showdown going into the break.

They have close ties with Xolo’s. I think part of their leadership ran the Futbol Factory and DV7 San Diego. Good coaches. Good soccer.
I know they have some kids from south of the border. There were some rumors of the teams demise this past summer. Obviously, those were unfounded.

I've always been perplexed at why a club(s) haven't dominated from the South Bay. I hope CV is finally becoming that club. There should be no need for kids from that area to travel north 30+ miles (Surf, SDSC, Albion) to play high level soccer.

I've always been perplexed at why a club(s) haven't dominated from the South Bay. I hope CV is finally becoming that club. There should be no need for kids from that area to travel north 30+ miles (Surf, SDSC, Albion) to play high level soccer.
Rebels dominated for a number of years at 2007. Many of these kids disbursed to SDSC and Surf, and know some are back in the neighborhood at CV.

From my understanding Futbol Factory/CV “developed” many of Albions better players. Whenever a player wore an Albion jersey to Futbol Factory all the coaches gave them a hard time.

From my understanding Futbol Factory/CV “developed” many of Albions better players. Whenever a player wore an Albion jersey to Futbol Factory all the coaches gave them a hard time.
So why do they leave and go to Albion? Why isn't there a club like Albion or Surf dominating at most age groups in the higher level leagues located in the South Bay?

So why do they leave and go to Albion? Why isn't there a club like Albion or Surf dominating at most age groups in the higher level leagues located in the South Bay?
I’m not really sure. In TJ many joke that the South Bay is the nice part of TJ. So the top Mexican players go to Fuerzas Basicas for Xolo’s. There were a handful of American kids that were around that were ballers and their parents probably aren’t comfortable going to TJ so they’d probably go to Rebels or Albion.

Back