2003 DA - What will be the effect of 03/02 teams next year?

I know 1st hand that universities have met recently and are considering removing ALL special permit routes for athletes. They are also adding layers of checks and balances to ensure that multiple faculty members are looking at recruits in areas that in the past have had their own pathways to admission. Speaking with a CSU faculty member yesterday, that had been the sole person in charge of athletic special permits stated: " the times are changing and you better do well in school if you want to play soccer on their campuses". CSU soccer has been one of the easier colleges to gain acceptance too. Some top athletes could gain admission with as little as a 2.0. While nothing is in stone the person said that there is a strong push to not have any special treatment.
Never going to happen. It would kill the high revenue sports like football and basketball. Waaaay too much $$$ at stake in those sports. Colleges can’t pick and choose what sports get special admin. for athletes. If the school you are looking at has high revenue sports then nothing will change. If they don’t but want to compete with the schools that do, then nothing will change either.

I know 1st hand that universities have met recently and are considering removing ALL special permit routes for athletes. They are also adding layers of checks and balances to ensure that multiple faculty members are looking at recruits in areas that in the past have had their own pathways to admission. Speaking with a CSU faculty member yesterday, that had been the sole person in charge of athletic special permits stated: " the times are changing and you better do well in school if you want to play soccer on their campuses". CSU soccer has been one of the easier colleges to gain acceptance too. Some top athletes could gain admission with as little as a 2.0. While nothing is in stone the person said that there is a strong push to not have any special treatment.

Top athletes cannot gain admission and play the sport with a 2.0. You are confused.

Top athletes cannot gain admission and play the sport with a 2.0. You are confused.

I can assure you that it does happen. It is rare but it does happen. I was having this debate with another person a few months back so we called the person in question that is in charge of these coaches requests and the answer is that it is rare but does happen. Trust me its from the horse's mouth of the faculty member that is the sole person in charge if these affairs. We are not talking USC and there is not money changing hands, just a coach that needs a top player.

Back