11v11 experience for 2009’s

With league started up after a year there has been a lot of change for the 09 girls in the past year. Lot of girls growing and full field soccer. Wanted to hear experiences with making the transition to full field 11v11. Some of my observations:
  • Movement off ball seems to be more important now w a lot more room
  • Fundamentals are still important. Good first touch buys time versus a bad touch that betrays player
  • Heavier size 5 ball plus bigger/better goalies make long distance shots harder
  • Possession soccer showing value for teams that have invested in it
Anything else?

I have a 2010 that plays/practices with 2009s + and they do 11v11.

The biggest differences I notice include..
  1. More room to pass the bigger field makes the benefits of possession + passing much more evident. (also you don't get tired as quickly)
  2. Faster stronger more powerful players
  3. Less bunch ball type situations. When this does happen the better team simply passes to a player outside the mob and they score.
  4. Goalies can punt, roll it out, throw to defenders, or bring it out themselves. This opens up the field + provides more opportunities for offense.
  5. More room to lead players with passes. You don't need to be "direct to feet" for passes to be successful
  6. Overall teams need to play more as a unit vs 1 or 2 really strong players that can coast to coast for goals at any time.

One of the main issues teams typically face is squad depth, particularly as you add players 12-16 or so. It’s hard to get a squad together that has talent up and down the roster. There’s a lot more running and so having a big drop off in the quality of your subs really hurts results. Clubs that have developed their 2nd teams or teams that can recruit will have an advantage.

Movement off ball seems to be more important now w a lot more room
Definitely agreed, and a twist to this is the defensive aspect of this. Tracking runners is key. Those who haven’t learned to “check your shoulders” because they could rely on their speed to accommodate on a small field (if a pass got behind them) get beat easier if there’s space between them and that runner. Girls who have traditionally been faster than most players find out the hard way that they are not faster than the ball. I might know a player who is adjusting to this. LOL

Back