04 Girls GA College Playoff Yellow Card or Not?

I don't think that is fair to say a referee is to blame for a particular foul. A referee cannot physically stop a player from doing what they want to do.
If a player has already committed two violent fouls and the referee decides to not do his/her job to give a red, I think the referee is to blame as the ref has created the rules of that particular game, "violent fouls are allowed in the games I ref".

There is definitely personal responsibility in every action by the individual but professional responsible lies with the refs.

I agree and was merely pointing out that due to the viewing angle it is possible the ref thought the defending player played the ball and that influenced their decision regarding the play.
Agree - and I think it's a material observation. I just find it interesting how much subjectivity is built into the rule. It's not that there isn't subjectivity in many calls in many sports, but generally, there is some attempt to define infractions precisely.

A lot of non-referees here asking good questions, and hopefully learning some things. While yes, a referee can possibly prevent fouls from continuing to get out of control later in the game, it is still not their responsibility how any player acts at any moment. When a coach continues to let their player act like this, there is a shared responsibility with the player and the coach.
You are asking the coach to hold his players back while they are getting beat up.

That will not happen. If your whistle is silent, most coaches will tell their kids to retaliate.

You are asking the coach to hold his players back while they are getting beat up.

That will not happen. If your whistle is silent, most coaches will tell their kids to retaliate.

Depending on their ages, maybe not. The coach can always pull his players off the field until the tournament authorities decide what to do.

Everyone has video cameras these days, right?

The personal behavior of the player and coach are what started the problem of the fouls. The referee is to blame for the continuation of the fouls because the ref is being paid to be responsible for stopping that type of behavior by using his warning, yellow card, or red card.
My opinion is going to be unpopular, but I wonder how much responsibility coaches and players have to control physical behavior? As long as the behavior isn't intentionally violent and/or with an intent to injure, a player is entitled to use as much physical force as the ref allows. To me that's gamesmanship...take what your given. If the ref is allowing a certain level of physical contact why should one team disadvantage itself by not playing with the same level of contact?

While a ref is not personally responsible for a player injury, the ref can create an environment where rough play is not discouraged. We've all seen games go south quickly on a ref that didn't punish rough play and the game got out of control. Isn't "player safety" the ref's primary responsibility?

On another note, I've never heard a coach tell a player to retaliate (although I'm certainly not privy to every conversation), some players seem to come by that naturally. I've seen coaches pull a player that was clearly out of control, but it doesn't seem to happen otherwise.

While I think the tackle in question could easily be worthy of a caution, are some of you saying the coach should have pulled that player for her physical play, or at least, tell her to knock it off? To me it was nothing out of the ordinary and possibly tactical in nature. Coaches do teach tactical fouls as it's an inherent part of the game.

My opinion is going to be unpopular, but I wonder how much responsibility coaches and players have to control physical behavior? As long as the behavior isn't intentionally violent and/or with an intent to injure, a player is entitled to use as much physical force as the ref allows. To me that's gamesmanship...take what your given. If the ref is allowing a certain level of physical contact why should one team disadvantage itself by not playing with the same level of contact?

While a ref is not personally responsible for a player injury, the ref can create an environment where rough play is not discouraged. We've all seen games go south quickly on a ref that didn't punish rough play and the game got out of control. Isn't "player safety" the ref's primary responsibility?

On another note, I've never heard a coach tell a player to retaliate (although I'm certainly not privy to every conversation), some players seem to come by that naturally. I've seen coaches pull a player that was clearly out of control, but it doesn't seem to happen otherwise.

While I think the tackle in question could easily be worthy of a caution, are some of you saying the coach should have pulled that player for her physical play, or at least, tell her to knock it off? To me it was nothing out of the ordinary and possibly tactical in nature. Coaches do teach tactical fouls as it's an inherent part of the game.

Entitled?

Like I've said before, that may be beyond the capabilities of some referees that are getting these games. It takes a lot of experience and even more confidence for a referee to be able to attempt control a "rough" team. Ideally, what you are saying is true and valid. The referee can use tools to discourage that type of play, but even the best most experienced referee can't stop an out of control player or team. They can only punish the behavior after the fact. The coach can stop an out of control player or team, if they choose to do so. Most don't. It's convenient to put that responsibility on the referee.

Like I've said before, that may be beyond the capabilities of some referees that are getting these games. It takes a lot of experience and even more confidence for a referee to be able to attempt control a "rough" team. Ideally, what you are saying is true and valid. The referee can use tools to discourage that type of play, but even the best most experienced referee can't stop an out of control player or team. They can only punish the behavior after the fact. The coach can stop an out of control player or team, if they choose to do so. Most don't. It's convenient to put that responsibility on the referee.
There are some kids that you can see the switch go off in their head and they're hell bent on destruction. The coach needs to pull that kid ASAP for the benefit of both teams; however, I know some coaches that believe that its best for a kid to work out their anger on the pitch. That never seems to end well. Obviously a ref can't remove that kid until he/she commits a sending off offence, even if the player has fire in his eyes prior to that. (The best refs will have a discussion with the kid if they notice the change in demeanor).

There are some kids that you can see the switch go off in their head and they're hell bent on destruction. The coach needs to pull that kid ASAP for the benefit of both teams; however, I know some coaches that believe that its best for a kid to work out their anger on the pitch. That never seems to end well. Obviously a ref can't remove that kid until he/she commits a sending off offence, even if the player has fire in his eyes prior to that. (The best refs will have a discussion with the kid if they notice the change in demeanor).
I have seen that switch. I was a big talker when I was doing games. Some kids respond to it, and some see the referee as the enemy and wanted nothing to do with it. And some times.... you don't see it coming. I sure miss it though. Surf cup was the most fun all year.

I have seen that switch. I was a big talker when I was doing games. Some kids respond to it, and some see the referee as the enemy and wanted nothing to do with it. And some times.... you don't see it coming. I sure miss it though. Surf cup was the most fun all year.

How many cards did you issue?

Back