You call it

If you are fit enough (and prepared to actually run), keeping up with play makes calls like this very easy, certainly for someone who understands the game and what a 'foul' actually constitutes.

This one is very easy from the angle of the camera; it may have been slightly more difficult from the referees' position but if he was up with play, it is a very easy call IMO.

Great tackle; no foul by either player, game continues.

Don't be offended if you thought otherwise but anyone who genuinely thinks it is a foul by EITHER player, does not understand what a foul is. Hence, this is a good example of why we have problems every weekend with referees, coaches, parents and players asking for fouls when they don't really understand what they are actually asking for.

If you are fit enough (and prepared to actually run), keeping up with play makes calls like this very easy, certainly for someone who understands the game and what a 'foul' actually constitutes.

This one is very easy from the angle of the camera; it may have been slightly more difficult from the referees' position but if he was up with play, it is a very easy call IMO.

Don't be offended if you thought otherwise but anyone who genuinely thinks it is a foul by EITHER player, does not understand what a foul is. Hence, this is a good example of why we have problems every weekend with referees, coaches, parents and players asking for fouls when they don't really understand what they are actually asking for.

Foul by offense.

Couldn't agree with your last statement more! I'm sick of reffing games where every parent thinks any contact is a foul, except when their little johnny does it. The video is a perfect example of a bit of shoulder to shoulder fair play. By both.

Watched the Spurs Barca game a bit last night, and the Spurs fans were ridiculous. They were worse than the worst parent I get in U10. Good things those refs have nerves of steel

Hence, this is a good example of why we have problems every weekend with referees, coaches, parents and players asking for fouls when they don't really understand what they are actually asking for.

That is hilarious. A coach or parent who is a former player but has never been a ref knows more about what a foul actually is than a ref who has never played the game. You can read all the books, take all of the courses, put all of the certificates you want in frames, if a ref is not a former or current player they will have a difficult time understanding player body control, fouls etc.

That is hilarious. A coach or parent who is a former player but has never been a ref knows more about what a foul actually is than a ref who has never played the game. You can read all the books, take all of the courses, put all of the certificates you want in frames, if a ref is not a former or current player they will have a difficult time understanding the game, player body control, fouls etc.
i disagree. i understand that point of view, but i think it's incorrect.

That is hilarious. A coach or parent who is a former player but has never been a ref knows more about what a foul actually is than a ref who has never played the game. You can read all the books, take all of the courses, put all of the certificates you want in frames, if a ref is not a former or current player they will have a difficult time understanding player body control, fouls etc.

I disagree as well. Someone can be taught if willing to learn. A doctor does not have to break their legs to know how to fix it...

I disagree as well. Someone can be taught if willing to learn. A doctor does not have to break their legs to know how to fix it...

I don’t disagree on having played the game. Of course, if you haven’t played then your understanding of what constitutes a foul from reading a book or watching a game is different than having actually experienced the game. I’ve talked about this many times with fellow referees and ex-players.

That said, I was making the point that we still have way too many parents (and coaches) calling for fouls when they don’t actually know what they are calling for! The same goes for some referees; they call fouls that are not and don’t call some that are so blatant it’s laughable. Perspective/experience/angle and all of that stuff comes into it.

Based on the hundreds of games I’ve seen in the past 6 years here, I’d say with confidence that 60-70% of parents have little to no idea what actually constitutes a foul. Maybe only 10% of referees have the same problem :)

let me pose this question...... if players know fouls better than referees that were never players, how is it that players are so incredulous when they commit an OBVIOUS foul? everyone, including the coaches, the parents, even that players grandma, knows it's a blatant foul, but the player insists they "got the ball".....

let me pose this question...... if players know fouls better than referees that were never players, how is it that players are so incredulous when they commit an OBVIOUS foul? everyone, including the coaches, the parents, even that players grandma, knows it's a blatant foul, but the player insists they "got the ball".....
Too much La Liga and the World Cup is still fairly fresh.

Where is the ref? He failed to keep up with the play. Unlikely to get the call right and even more unlikely to be able to sell whatever call he makes.

No foul. Play on.

I say foul. Defender lunged and took the player down. Just because it was an accident doesn't mean there wasn't a foul.
And just because it's in the penalty area and therefore is a PK - does not mean that a ref shouldn't make the call. A foul is a foul. Whether it's a midfield or in the attacking or defending third.
Yellow card - maybe. Part of the criteria for a yellow are reckless and dangerous. It was a bit of a reckless challenge.
Oh brother!

I say foul. Defender lunged and took the player down. Just because it was an accident doesn't mean there wasn't a foul.
And just because it's in the penalty area and therefore is a PK - does not mean that a ref shouldn't make the call. A foul is a foul. Whether it's a midfield or in the attacking or defending third.
Yellow card - maybe. Part of the criteria for a yellow are reckless and dangerous. It was a bit of a reckless challenge.
What accident are you talking about?

Where is the ref? He failed to keep up with the play. Unlikely to get the call right and even more unlikely to be able to sell whatever call he makes.

No foul. Play on.
Even if he failed to keep up with the play, what's the problem if he took a good angle to see?

Back