You call it

NickName

SILVER ELITE
I'm bored and dug this one up from a few months ago

Result: Yellow on the defender and a PK.

I'm no Ref, but in my novice opinion I'll say no foul. Defender stretched out and got a foot on the ball. Attacker fell over him as he went to ground to play the ball. I can see why in the moment a Ref could call a foul there, but I think it was a clean play.

I say foul. Defender lunged and took the player down. Just because it was an accident doesn't mean there wasn't a foul.
And just because it's in the penalty area and therefore is a PK - does not mean that a ref shouldn't make the call. A foul is a foul. Whether it's a midfield or in the attacking or defending third.
Yellow card - maybe. Part of the criteria for a yellow are reckless and dangerous. It was a bit of a reckless challenge.

I say foul. Defender lunged and took the player down. Just because it was an accident doesn't mean there wasn't a foul.
And just because it's in the penalty area and therefore is a PK - does not mean that a ref shouldn't make the call. A foul is a foul. Whether it's a midfield or in the attacking or defending third.
Yellow card - maybe. Part of the criteria for a yellow are reckless and dangerous. It was a bit of a reckless challenge.

Oh no...Please tell me you're not serious?! Nothing to do with the location - the defender played the ball.

Freeze it at 8 seconds and click in slow motion. If I knew how to easily add pictures here, I'd show it. Just because you got the ball, it doesn't mean there wasn't a foul. There seems to be a myth out there that if you get the ball, you can't be called for a foul. Maybe it's from basketball?
If there is not a foul, why did the player in white tumble over the player in blue?

Freeze it at 8 seconds and click in slow motion. If I knew how to easily add pictures here, I'd show it. Just because you got the ball, it doesn't mean there wasn't a foul. There seems to be a myth out there that if you get the ball, you can't be called for a foul. Maybe it's from basketball?
If there is not a foul, why did the player in white tumble over the player in blue?
Because he was continuing his run forward and trying to push the defender off the ball. At no level of the game should that be given as a penalty and a YC.

1zvvmtj.png

If you think that shows a penalty, I don't know what to tell you. Clear free kick for the defending team.
You don't think that in real time, without the benefit of video replay, that a referee on a youth soccer game would call this a foul? And factor in items like: where was the ref positioned. How was the game going up until this point? How many fouls had been called prior?

No foul on Blue, good tackle. If I was going to call a foul, it might be on white but probably no foul call. The referee is no where in sight, so I am assuming he made the call from 40+ yards away and did not have a good angle or the AR made the call.

You don't think that in real time, without the benefit of video replay, that a referee on a youth soccer game would call this a foul? And factor in items like: where was the ref positioned. How was the game going up until this point? How many fouls had been called prior?
No, I didn't say that at all. I'm watched the same video you did and concluded it wasn't a penalty. You watched the video and opined that it was a foul:
I'm saying if there was even a foul on the play, it would be on the attacker.

I can see the referee was well behind the play. Obviously he only had one view of it. I have no information on anything else that may have been factors - not that any of those should determine whether something is a penalty or not. Even so, shame on him for giving a penalty and a YC. I obviously have no idea if he talked with his AR, but the AR should have been able to tell him it wasn't what he thought it was.

Either way, a referee who knows the game either allows play to continue or whistles for a free kick for blue. I do concede that not all referees know the game well enough.

Wish I could see what the referee ends up calling. Blue defender is pretty sure he was fouled, so is not going to be happy if it's a PK. At least with the new rule he will only get a yellow, not a red.

And yeah, the referee was way behind the play, although it was a deep pass...

Wish I could see what the referee ends up calling. Blue defender is pretty sure he was fouled, so is not going to be happy if it's a PK. At least with the new rule he will only get a yellow, not a red.

And yeah, the referee was way behind the play, although it was a deep pass...

Foul on the defender. Yellow card and a PK given.

This particular CR didn’t stray much out of the center circle. I don’t recall him consulting with the AR on this call.

Back