You call it (again)

Yes, it's fault and PK. Now, didn't they change the rules about the red card recently (or maybe I just dreamed about it?)? As in, if the fault is inside the area, then there's no red card because the punishment of a PK is enough already and they only give yellow?
The LOTG were changed but there is more to the card decision for DOGSO. Here is the exact wording and a link to the LOTG 2018-2019 http://theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct-2018/chapters/disciplinary-action-2018

Law 12
DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY
Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off. A player, sent off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee’s permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

The following must be considered:
  • distance between the offence and the goal
  • general direction of the play
  • likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
  • location and number of defenders

Yes, it's fault and PK. Now, didn't they change the rules about the red card recently (or maybe I just dreamed about it?)? As in, if the fault is inside the area, then there's no red card because the punishment of a PK is enough already and they only give yellow?
Yes, providing the player makes an attempt to play the ball. If he/she doesn’t (and of course that can often be argued either way as it’s not always obvious) then it’s still a red, regardless of also being a PK.

So here's what happened: Semi- final game of State Cup Presidents. Referee made no call on the play (obviously no card). Offensive player in video was injured on the play, but later returned.

Almost identical play happened in the box in the second half against the same player, no call. Other coach acknowledged that first and probably second were penalties.
I'm doubtful that there was a foul.

Did the player feel the slight contact to embellish? Was he already going down? Clear action or grey zone? Impossible to tell all this from this video, so, no call if this is all I have or see.

Any referee not giving a penalty (and potentially a red card but that’s slightly more open to interpretation) for this should not be officiating a State Cup semi-final IMO.
Anyone claiming to be a referee and not embarrassed by posting this, should not be commenting on referee matters IMO.

Anyone claiming to be a referee and not embarrassed by posting this, should not be commenting on referee matters IMO.
If I didn’t feel qualified and experienced enough to comment, I’d steer clear of the referee posts...

I don’t officiate often now, I don’t have time because of coaching. I respect referees for the job they do but I’m not embarrassed to comment on instances like this which are absolute basics of the game. It’s a simple issue; if the referee cannot see that it’s a foul/penalty (and almost certainly a red) then they don’t understand either the LOTG or the game in general and so they shouldn’t be officiating a State Cup semi final.

The general standard of officiating at the levels of club soccer I’ve coached, watched and been exposed to in the last 7 years has been poor (probably with the exception of some DA games; one of those was Alexi Lalas, decent ref). There are good refs out there, I know that...I’m just not fortunate enough to have seen many of them yet!

If I didn’t feel qualified and experienced enough to comment, I’d steer clear of the referee posts...

I don’t officiate often now, I don’t have time because of coaching. I respect referees for the job they do but I’m not embarrassed to comment on instances like this which are absolute basics of the game. It’s a simple issue; if the referee cannot see that it’s a foul/penalty (and almost certainly a red) then they don’t understand either the LOTG or the game in general and so they shouldn’t be officiating a State Cup semi final.

The general standard of officiating at the levels of club soccer I’ve coached, watched and been exposed to in the last 7 years has been poor (probably with the exception of some DA games; one of those was Alexi Lalas, decent ref). There are good refs out there, I know that...I’m just not fortunate enough to have seen many of them yet!
I don't coach now because I'm too busy refereeing, assessing and mentoring. I find this particularly pertinent now especially because of the large number of people such as yourself who do not understand the nuances and considerations that go into determining the decisions these sorts of grey area situations but pretend to know all. I give great props to Lalas who realizes his refereeing is still basic and is investing into improving himself. The embarrassing part is the pretended expertise at evaluating referees with neither the training nor the expertise at referee assessment.

I don't coach now because I'm too busy refereeing, assessing and mentoring. I find this particularly pertinent now especially because of the large number of people such as yourself who do not understand the nuances and considerations that go into determining the decisions these sorts of grey area situations but pretend to know all. I give great props to Lalas who realizes his refereeing is still basic and is investing into improving himself. The embarrassing part is the pretended expertise at evaluating referees with neither the training nor the expertise at referee assessment.

You’re right, I do not understand the nuances at all.

I have officiated professional and national teams. I was chosen for games at that level specifically because I do not understand the nuances of refereeing decisions.

My ebook on effective communication for referees was translated into multiple languages and used by referee associations as teaching material in a number of countries. Again, it was probably well received because I do not understand the nuances of officiating.

Let me know when your next AYSO game is and I’ll come to watch so I can learn how to be a real referee. :D

You’re right, I do not understand the nuances at all.

I have officiated professional and national teams. I was chosen for games at that level specifically because I do not understand the nuances of refereeing decisions.

My ebook on effective communication for referees was translated into multiple languages and used by referee associations as teaching material in a number of countries. Again, it was probably well received because I do not understand the nuances of officiating.

Let me know when your next AYSO game is and I’ll come to watch so I can learn how to be a real referee. :D
Liar.

Panama, Lobos BUAP (MX) to name just a couple of teams.

Here is the link to my ebook via one of the countries (Netherlands) that shared and used it.

https://www.dutchreferee.com/effective-communication-key-successful-football-referee/

I’ll leave this conversation now. Happy to chat to you about effective communication sometime if I see you at the field.
That's it? Nothing about International assignments? What an anti climax! No wonder you had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Considerations. I'm sure the word Futuro means nothing to you, so I won't bother going into it. Enjoy your coaching.

Here is the link to my ebook via one of the countries (Netherlands) that shared and used it.

I’ll leave this conversation now. Happy to chat to you about effective communication sometime if I see you at the field.
That's it? Nothing about International assignments? What an anti climax! No wonder you had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Considerations. I'm sure the word Futuro means nothing to you, so I won't bother going into it. Enjoy your coaching.

Last time I checked, Panama was an international team who played in the World Cup. So far in this conversation you’ve failed on both effective communication and observation; doesn’t bode well for you as a referee.

Bless you; you’ll keep trying to justify yourself no matter what we discuss so I’ll step aside. Maybe I should add an official FIFA avatar to my profile :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, Panama was an international team who played in the World Cup. So far in this conversation you’ve failed on both effective communication and observation; doesn’t bode well for you as a referee.

Bless you; you’ll keep trying to justify yourself no matter what we discuss so I’ll step aside. Maybe I should add an official FIFA avatar to my profile :rolleyes:
I'm not justifying anything. I'm pointing out your ignorance.

Last time I checked this would be like the second, (or is it third) time you will be stepping aside? Anyway, the fact that you think refereeing Panama counts as an international assignment tells me all I need to know about you.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm pointing out your ignorance.

Last time I checked this would be like the second, (or is it third) time you will be stepping aside? Anyway, the fact that you think refereeing Panama counts as an international assignment tells me all I need to know about you.

A word of advice I have given you before, and you ignored it, so I will try again. When you tell a lie about someone, they know you are lying. And then -- they can use this knowledge that you lie about people to inform their judgement about your statements about other people.

A word of advice I have given you before, and you ignored it, so I will try again. When you tell a lie about someone, they know you are lying. And then -- they can use this knowledge that you lie about people to inform their judgement about your statements about other people.
I'm sure you did. Feel free to tell me again in 5 years. I will then advise you to tell me again 5 years hence. And so it goes . . .

Back