World Cup 2018 thread

Belgium v Japan...best match of the cup so far! Incredible second half.
Great to see a match where neither team lost because of some bone-head error or bad call. Just great play from end to end on both sides (and superb refereeing to boot). Much respect to Japan. They played their tails off.

Anyone else really impressed with Tony Meola's color commentary? He's the first American-accented color commentator that I actually like. His voice and reactions to plays remind me of Troy Aikman's NFL work. It makes for a unique experience hearing someone who sounds so "American" get all the subtle tactical and technical points right on the money without the buffoonery most former American players bring to the booth.

Great to see a match where neither team lost because of some bone-head error or bad call. Just great play from end to end on both sides (and superb refereeing to boot). Much respect to Japan. They played their tails off.

Anyone else really impressed with Tony Meola's color commentary? He's the first American-accented color commentator that I actually like. His voice and reactions to plays remind me of Troy Aikman's NFL work. It makes for a unique experience hearing someone who sounds so "American" get all the subtle tactical and technical points right on the money without the buffoonery most former American players bring to the booth.

I'm partial to these two announcers swapping sports...

I wish just one referee had the balls to show Neymar a Yellow card for faking an injury (flopping). IMHO, he is a disgrace to the game.
Last World Cup- Neymar becomes a household name.
After this year, if I see someone wearing a Neymar jersey, I will think less of them.

Paul Pogba and Killian Mbappe are making a mockery of the World Cup. They are both playing at such a ridiculously high level that it is going to take something pretty crazy to beat them. France vs England final. Viva Le Bleu!

Neymar's reputation for faking/exaggerating injuries must be so strong that you can do anything to him, even with VAR watching.
Last World Cup- Neymar becomes a household name.
After this year, if I see someone wearing a Neymar jersey, I will think less of them.

Mexico coach calls Neymar antics 'an embarrassment for soccer' after World Cup loss
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mexico...rassment-soccer-world-cup-loss-171741900.html

The ankle step on might have been accidental hard to tell but yeah hurts and a foul regardless

Mexico coach calls Neymar antics 'an embarrassment for soccer' after World Cup loss
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mexico...rassment-soccer-world-cup-loss-171741900.html

The ankle step on might have been accidental hard to tell but yeah hurts and a foul regardless

He is an Academy Award winning actor. That flop during group play that was originally called a PK until VAR review would have made Tom Hanks proud.

Would Nike drop him for his antics?
That would send a message more than any caution or fine.
But I’m sure adidas or puma would pick him up right away.

Watching the Colombia/England game and the Brazil/Mexico game make me really wish refs would start carding for embellishment (Unsporting Behavior). It's ridiculous. Every single bit of physical contact that a male international player experiences is apparently followed by a complete collapse of the central nervous system.

Mark Geiger (referee in Eng vs Col) needs to get control of the game. There is going to be a red card before the game is over. The ref has let the game get wat too physical.

70th minute and 7 yellow cards and no control of the match. JMO, had the ref issued the red for the headbutt we probably would not be seeing the ugly overly physical play from Columbia and England.

Back