Womens College Coaching Hotseat

Cal had darn good basketball team when Montgomery was there. Then that carried a for a few when Bozeman took over.

Same for football in the Mariucci and Telford era.
True but if you look at where the stars of those teams came from, most were local or grew up in sketchy neighborhoods so Berkeley was not a shock to them. Under Montgomery his star Randel grew up a few miles away and Christopher was from a sketchy part of LA if I am not mistaken. Bozeman had local Kidd and paid off parents to get players. Telford had Rodgers as his quarterback and although he was from Chico spent a lot of time in the area between moves.

I bet if you look at top collegiate teams throughout all sports (other than sports where a region of the US has the bulk of the best players due to being more popular for kids to play like waterpolo, beach volley etc ) you will find that top teams have players from throughout the country. Berkeley’s soccer team has a large percentage from not only the Bay Area, but girls that played at Mustangs. Didn’t half of last years recruits come from Mustang before his dd decided to go to UCSB at the last minute?

Last edited:
Saw that Neil works at mustang as do his assistants. Is that allowed by the ncaa?
Yes it is allowed. I would say the majority of college coaches also coach at the club level. Although it must be an interesting conversation talking to your club players about their collegiate goals.

Saw that Neil works at mustang as do his assistants. Is that allowed by the ncaa?

Yes. My son's last "club" tournament was as a free-agent signee with the Davis Legacy BU19 club team playing at the Surf Thanksgiving tournament in San Diego his Freshman year at UC Davis, after the Varsity season had concluded. The coach of the Davis team was an assistant coach at UC Davis.

Yes. My son's last "club" tournament was as a free-agent signee with the Davis Legacy BU19 club team playing at the Surf Thanksgiving tournament in San Diego his Freshman year at UC Davis, after the Varsity season had concluded. The coach of the Davis team was an assistant coach at UC Davis.

Interesting that the coach did that. Coaches are not allowed to coach their own players in the offseason.

Yes it is allowed. I would say the majority of college coaches also coach at the club level. Although it must be an interesting conversation talking to your club players about their collegiate goals.
I have no clue on any of the rules for girls sports so I won't go there. However, we should try and be like the, http://www.socalhoops.com/southern.htm. I don't think you will see Coach Cronin and his assistants also coaching one the top Socal AAU Travel teams like, Double Pump Pump N Run All Star Traveling Teams. You might see a AAU coach take head job or be assistant college, but they never get or do both.

Colleges the could make a change at the end of the year if the coaches are at the end of their contract:

Oregon (look @OSU, made great improvements w new coach)

St. Mary’s (Paul Radcliffe and Sapsford were successful there so it can be done)

Pacific (lost with prior coach and current coach. Not sure new coach is the answer) Maybe more full scholarships or better facilities is part of the answer?)

Neil M would certainly be a good candidate for Oregon and LMU is cal chooses to move on from him. He could also stay local at SMC but that could be below his pay grade.

There will be many top head coaches that would love to coach at CAL. The AD’s box would be full.
Neil is a good coach. CAL needs a great coach. I’d think they can get that.

Back