Why our referees are so good

We have a good system now, and even now still trying to improve it. Unfortunately, not everyone takes advantage of it. Only a small percentage really train themselves in any capacity. In this video are the Grade 5 hopefuls, all of whom are excellent referees and anyone would be lucky to have them on their game, but it is just that, luck, because they don't do a lot of games relative to the 2k+ referee pool in San Diego alone. I think there were probably 50 referees at that fitness test, and that is from SD, OC, and LA combined.

We have a good system now, and even now still trying to improve it. Unfortunately, not everyone takes advantage of it. Only a small percentage really train themselves in any capacity. In this video are the Grade 5 hopefuls, all of whom are excellent referees and anyone would be lucky to have them on their game, but it is just that, luck, because they don't do a lot of games relative to the 2k+ referee pool in San Diego alone. I think there were probably 50 referees at that fitness test, and that is from SD, OC, and LA combined.
Uhm...I was there, it was a mizture of grade 6 upgrades and grade 5 people. It was well over 50 trust me...it was split into time periods/groups and it started ten minutes late from the time it should have.

Overall, as a young guy I think the fitness aspect of the test is weak. Even the older guys limping could finish this test. For this very reason obtaining a state badge seems of less value nowadays. Now a grade 5 fitness test is more intense. The sprints that need to be done in 9 seconds are not challenging. I just semi sprinted those so I wouldn't be tired for the laps, it was my first time taking it without any real practice.

On my last try I got the Sprint in 5.37 seconds, grade 5 requires a 6.2 or below to pass I believe. So, you can imagine that it isn't too significant. recovery times are lower, but overall I feel that this fitness test is bogus.

Anyone that really wants to compete at the highest level should be examined on the field and see how their fitness is in relation to the players. I seriously doubt half of those referees could keep up with say a USL teams fitness level...

Uhm...I was there, it was a mizture of grade 6 upgrades and grade 5 people. It was well over 50 trust me...it was split into time periods/groups and it started ten minutes late from the time it should have.

Overall, as a young guy I think the fitness aspect of the test is weak. Even the older guys limping could finish this test. For this very reason obtaining a state badge seems of less value nowadays. Now a grade 5 fitness test is more intense. The sprints that need to be done in 9 seconds are not challenging. I just semi sprinted those so I wouldn't be tired for the laps, it was my first time taking it without any real practice.

On my last try I got the Sprint in 5.37 seconds, grade 5 requires a 6.2 or below to pass I believe. So, you can imagine that it isn't too significant. recovery times are lower, but overall I feel that this fitness test is bogus.

Anyone that really wants to compete at the highest level should be examined on the field and see how their fitness is in relation to the players. I seriously doubt half of those referees could keep up with say a USL teams fitness level...
I don't think you were there because this video shows the (only) Grade 5 fitness test, not one of the several grade 6 ones. Everyone in the video was either a grade 5 or grade 5 hopeful. The grade 6 one is a physical joke, sure, but the real point is not the fitness, but the commitment to even show up and care enough about your reffing career. No one jogs 2.5 miles for fun (I know, I know, some people do, but we are talking about normal people here).

George is not even bragging about the fitness test, he is bragging about the education that Cal South has and its recruitment. Nothing wrong with bragging about those two. I'm sure George is pleased with the numbers and system, but the education is meaningless if one doesn't attend and the recruitment is meaningless if we can't retain them. I think retainment and education are significantly linked together.
Anyways, the physical requirements for 5 aren't that hard either, they are just minimum benchmarks to weed out people that have no chance. (2.5 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace).

https://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/Referees/2018/2018_11_15_POST.pdf?rev=AF2C
^^ the registered officials list for 2018. I see about 5,000 names. I substracted a few from the total because there are some duplicate registrations of the same name for futsal and/or beach and assessors/instructors. 43 names to a page times 128 pages = 5,504. For the purposes of the percentages, I will use this total.

According to the flawed CTR+F method (because of duplicates and page numbers counting)
There are 453 Grade 9's, 391 Grade 7's, 138 Grade 6's, 225 Grade 15's (old but experienced refs), and a handful of 4, 3, and 2's, And I hand counted 12 grade 5's. (Don't count the assessor and instructor 5's)
Subtracting from 5.5k, that means there are approximately 4,300 Grade 8's

Adding the 9's and 8's (I don't even know how to get grade 9) this means approximately 86% of referees in Cal South pursue no further education other than the introductory classes and the yearly online classes than you can ALT+Tab away from while you watch Netflix and then answer questions at the end that any parent could answer.

You do learn quite a bit in those introductory education classes, but not nearly enough. I'm not quite sure how those numbers compare to other areas, but I hypothesize that smaller areas probably have a higher percentage than 14% trying to learn, just because it is a smaller community and it is not as easy to get lost in the crowd.

I think the referees in Cal South could become even better (than what George says) if we could change that number from 86% to 70%. I think this is a realistic goal, and it would have a trickle down effect and cyclical effect. More (even grade 7 referees) would be able to set better examples for younger referees, misinformation would be quashed much more quickly (Like @Surfref gripes about the offside misinformation even amongst referees). And it would be cyclical because more education would lead to more retentions, which would lead to more experience, which leads to better mentoring, better education in mentoring....etc.

DISCLAIMER: I know the methodology is not perfect, I know some great Grade 8 referees and have seen grade 8 referees attend training just to get better, not with the hope of upgrading, these numbers are more meant to create a generalized picture of a potential problem, and a potential mode of a solution.

Back