Why did the ref's take away this goal???

I'll definitely be brushing up on my soccer knowledge from hear on out to better educate our young players so that we don't make the same mistakes again. All we can do is learn from this and become better players. It's been a tough pill to swallow, but I've finally accepted the fact, that based on the AR position and putting myself in his shoes, he made the best decision based on what he saw when he made his ruling.

FCGS Goalkeeper Dad.
I'm going to try to guess what the discussion between the CTR and the AR was. Because of the new offside interpretation, there is a distinction between a deliberate save and a deliberate play on the ball. This distinction is difficult even for referees who have studied it before so it what likely what they were talking about.
If it was a deliberate save, then offside would have still counted, if it was a deliberate play, then offside would have reset and there would have been no offside.

Sorry, this might be a little much for someone still trying to grasp the "main" rules. But, if you get to know a referee who is good at explaining things (and not an asshole) then he can probably explain 1 thing, like offside, to you in 30minutes-hour. I know if you asked me nicely on the field and I had time, I would not mind spending some time educating a parent that genuinely wants to understand the LOTG.

I'm going to try to guess what the discussion between the CTR and the AR was. Because of the new offside interpretation, there is a distinction between a deliberate save and a deliberate play on the ball. This distinction is difficult even for referees who have studied it before so it what likely what they were talking about.
If it was a deliberate save, then offside would have still counted, if it was a deliberate play, then offside would have reset and there would have been no offside.

Sorry, this might be a little much for someone still trying to grasp the "main" rules. But, if you get to know a referee who is good at explaining things (and not an asshole) then he can probably explain 1 thing, like offside, to you in 30minutes-hour. I know if you asked me nicely on the field and I had time, I would not mind spending some time educating a parent that genuinely wants to understand the LOTG.

IMO IFAB has made it easy to determine a deliberate save. The LOTG make it fairly clear what to look for.
LOTG 2018-2019 Law 11
“A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).”

I think the basics of Offside can be explained within 5 minutes and the short basic description will not confuse someone new to the game. As long as the CR and AR are working as a team and the AR is correctly positioned, Offside should be an easy call or no-call to make for the AR and CR.

IMO IFAB has made it easy to determine a deliberate save. The LOTG make it fairly clear what to look for.
LOTG 2018-2019 Law 11
“A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).”

I think the basics of Offside can be explained within 5 minutes and the short basic description will not confuse someone new to the game. As long as the CR and AR are working as a team and the AR is correctly positioned, Offside should be an easy call or no-call to make for the AR and CR.
Yes, or in other words a save is a save.

So the OP accepts that the AR "made the best decision based on what he saw when he made his ruling" but not that the Referee and AR, working together, actually did get the call right - which is confirmed by all of the replies to the original post? :rolleyes:

Nobody confirmed it. Pretty much everyone agrees they can't tell from the angle but it may well have been correct and that the ref/AR team appear to have handled it correctly. Without a better angle there is no way to confirm whether or not the call was actually correct. Nice passive aggressive post though.

LOTG 2018-2019 Law 11
It may be easy to you and me that constantly update ourselves with the law changes and obsessively (?) drill the LOTG into our heads.

But the average weekend Presidio referee just glances at the new changes. To the novice (probably) AR and the average (probably) CTR, there was a panic moment for both of them that went "oh wait, this is that new thingy that I was sent a thingy on like 2-22 weeks ago". So they conferred just to help make themselves 100% sure.

They probably even have to go "wait, it was a save right... does that reset or keep offside? I thinks it keeps it, that would make sense, fingers crossed." and then proceeded to double check with another referee after the game was finished.

LOTG 2018-2019 Law 11
On a referee nerdy note. Whether or not it is a save is harder to determine if the defender is standing more towards the top of the 18 (penalty area, IK). Even with that criteria above, the line between aggressive cross to a teammate and placed shot is pretty blurry. What about crappy shot vs long through ball. Easy to determine if the ball has traveled for 10-20 yards before the defender deliberately does "something" to it. But what if the deliberate play/save occurs 2 yards from the original pass/shot.

I tend to lean on the side of, did the defender plausibly believe it was a shot. So I actually lean on the side of the defender on this note. I have no idea if that is proper soccer philosophy though.

Back