USWNT

217F64E8-878C-4679-B722-025416AD2217.jpeg
Lloyd is a much better player but she doesn't have the wheels that Jill likes. I honestly think Jessica McDonald is a better fit than Morgan or Rapinoe but unfortunately she doesn't "look" the part nor does she "check the boxes" that Jill likes....
What are you trying to say MAP?
See looks like a nice young lady to me.

I don't know about that. Morgan was clutch in the 2011 World Cup. Goal in the semis and goal and assist in the final. She was Malory Pugh's age. She was clutch again at the 2012 Olympics. Winning goal in the semis (extra time) and an assist in the finals. She was coming off a knee injury in the 2015 World Cup.

Those are nice anecdotes but here are the facts:

She has played 8 years in the NWSL and Europe and scored 45 goals for a grand total of 5.6 per season.
She has been in the playoffs 3 times and scored zero goals.
Out of 106 international goals in 10 years she has scored 27 goals against Japan, France, Australia, Germany, England, Norway and North Korea (25%). She has however scored 35 goals against CONCACAAF teams and 7 against Thailand (41%).

She was the lowest rated player in the game from either team that played at least 30 minutes. She is overrated. She gets most of her goals against cupcakes. How many goals has she scored against top 5-7 teams? Now Carly Lloyd is a whole different story. She scores when it matters against whomever she is up against...
While I would not go so far as to call her overrated your analysis of her is pretty spot on. She can do a lot for her legacy by finding the back of the net during the knockout stage.

I hear she is a very nice woman and a great mother. She also is 6 foot tall with wheels, is a great back to the goal player and is great in the air. She even played at the right school (North Carolina).
She trains sometimes with my daughters coach in the off season. when one of my daughters teammates tore her ACL McDonald went to her house and talked to her about her injuries and how she made it back. McDonald is definitely a world class person and player

Those are nice anecdotes but here are the facts:

She has played 8 years in the NWSL and Europe and scored 45 goals for a grand total of 5.6 per season.
She has been in the playoffs 3 times and scored zero goals.
Out of 106 international goals in 10 years she has scored 27 goals against Japan, France, Australia, Germany, England, Norway and North Korea (25%). She has however scored 35 goals against CONCACAAF teams and 7 against Thailand (41%).

Are you really counting NWSL seasons where she appeared for 3 games (and scored 2 goals)? Or a season in Europe where she appeared in 8 games (and scored 5 goals)? That's totally misleading to take seasons where she did not really play in order to make the "grand total" goals per season look low. But regardless, when did scoring in regular season games turn into scoring when it matters? I thought that was the point of your prior post. And what's Carli Loyd's average over the same period? You don't have to do the math - it's fewer goals per season over the same period (or over their respective careers).

As for her international career, 27 goals against Japan, France, Australia, Germany, England, Norway and North Korea is a lot. How many games was that in? And how does that compare to Loyd? Don't include Loyd's 8 goals against Haiti either!

"Facts" are meaningless unless put in context.

Smart move. It would have been a huge issue when you got to KFTM in the knockout rounds. There wouldn't have been a keeper that made it through 5 kicks without getting sent off with two yellows. Or in the alternative the kicks would have lasted 20 rounds until a kicker missed a shot on their own accord as the keepers stayed firmly planted to avoid being cautioned. Very poorly thought out law particularly when combined with the fact that it was subject to a "black or white" VAR review.

The rule has been there for years, but now we have the technology to make an objective call. If referees start ignoring VAR on those situations because it just doesn't feel right, in an era when everybody has a TV set in their pocket, expect riots.

The rule has been there for years, but now we have the technology to make an objective call. If referees start ignoring VAR on those situations because it just doesn't feel right, in an era when everybody has a TV set in their pocket, expect riots.
Can you imagine VAR overturning Briana Scurrys save or the "Hand of God".

Are you really counting NWSL seasons where she appeared for 3 games (and scored 2 goals)? Or a season in Europe where she appeared in 8 games (and scored 5 goals)? That's totally misleading to take seasons where she did not really play in order to make the "grand total" goals per season look low. But regardless, when did scoring in regular season games turn into scoring when it matters? I thought that was the point of your prior post. And what's Carli Loyd's average over the same period? You don't have to do the math - it's fewer goals per season over the same period (or over their respective careers).

As for her international career, 27 goals against Japan, France, Australia, Germany, England, Norway and North Korea is a lot. How many games was that in? And how does that compare to Loyd? Don't include Loyd's 8 goals against Haiti either!

"Facts" are meaningless unless put in context.
The debate is moot since Nike has made her the face of Women's soccer. She will play significant minutes and start every game until she no longer wants. But anytime she is yanked (like the last game), just know that the reason given will be "health or protecting from injury". Morgan is fast, and that's it. She has no dribbling skills. Her back to goal game is awful. And she does not know how to weight a pass. Sometimes she gets lucky, but so does every player. Most of her goals are "cleanup" shots after the ball is bouncing around the box. Hegerberg, Kerr, Sinclair, Miedema, Hermoso, Lloyd, McDonald are all better 9's. In men's athletics, the best players are the highest paid and have the most sponsors. Not with women. Pugh is another good example of this contradiction. I root for Dunn A LOT because she has earned her spot with a lot of hard work and looks nothing like the SUM/Nike prototype -- small, not great looking, black, hetero, etc.

I didn't realize Ashlyn Harris and Ali Krieger are engaged to one another. That's an interesting wrinkle re the controversy of Krieger making the team.

Really looking forward to the Australia v Norway game. Look for Norway to double-team Kerr. Norway midfield best in the tournament. Australia goalie has looked shaky. Australia needs to start De Vanna and she needs to be another threat beyond Kerr. Norway is the better team but something tells me Australia finds a way, against the smart money.

Good for Norway. Play the game the right way. Fun team to watch. Probably the dumbest defender (Kennedy) foul I've seen this year--ball nowhere near the player, goalie clearly going to get it, and she doesn't just try to be physical but tugs the jersey. Deserved the red just on stupidity alone. Great game by Australia goalie.

Norway over England in the next round.

Good for Norway. Play the game the right way. Fun team to watch. Probably the dumbest defender (Kennedy) foul I've seen this year--ball nowhere near the player, goalie clearly going to get it, and she doesn't just try to be physical but tugs the jersey. Deserved the red just on stupidity alone. Great game by Australia goalie.

Norway over England in the next round.
England better not overlook their next opponent the way you did⚽

Back