USWNT

Sweden goalie is weak; They are exposing US's vulnerabilities.
OC that was an exciting first half...what vulnerabilities are you seeing? Looked like the US was in command to me...Sweden's left winger was MIA on the Swedish cross at the end...

Sub in Press for Rapinoe. And, put in MacDonald for Morgan. Everyone else playing well. But just like every other country, you can see USA is susceptible to a lot of turnovers with the high press.

OC that was an exciting first half...what vulnerabilities are you seeing? Looked like the US was in command to me...Sweden's left winger was MIA on the Swedish cross at the end...
When playing a team that can attack and with some players who have skill, US defense gives up scoring opportunities. Defense gets too narrow. Sweden left wing is MIA because the right wing is getting through. Also, when a team highpresses, US shows many of their players have inconsistent first touch and passing accuracy (all the teams do, just pointing out that US not any better than others in that regard).

Remember, it's 1-0, but their goal came on a set piece. I want to see them put together a nice combo goal like Netherlands and Canada did in the prior game.

Dunn has been caught out of position a couple of times, once badly that could have easily led to the equalizer. Each time Sweden has looked dangerous it has come from that side.

When playing a team that can attack and with some players who have skill, US defense gives up scoring opportunities. Defense gets too narrow. Sweden left wing is MIA because the right wing is getting through. Also, when a team highpresses, US shows many of their players have inconsistent first touch and passing accuracy (all the teams do, just pointing out that US not any better than others in that regard).

Remember, it's 1-0, but their goal came on a set piece. I want to see them put together a nice combo goal like Netherlands and Canada did in the prior game.
Rapinoe seemed like she was getting stranded on the left side w no one to pass to...no good angles...at least that's how I remember it...in the past I recall Rapinoe and Press making the kind of combination passes you are referring to...

I give second half to Canada despite the score. Agree MAP, Buchanan out of position but i put the second goal more on the goalie then her. Goalie had a couple nervy moments. But they played more thru midfield second half and with ball on the ground. Good. A few good half-chances by Canada in second half. Other than the goal, Dutch didn't have as many scoring chances in second half.

MAP - what's your take on Fleming? I felt like she seemed outsized in this game---a little small--pushed around a bit. The Dutch are big I know, but hmmm, do you ever get that feeling on the UCLA pitch with Fleming? A couple inches and 10 lbs could do her some good. She's still young.

Might see more of Huitema after a solid performance. Dutch will handle Japan with ease. Hopefully, Canucks get Sweden.

It was a pretty even game but the Dutch front line gave the Canadian defense a ton of problems. Lawrence played great but I thought that Scott and Buchanan had rough games. The way to get to Fleming is to beat her up. I thought that she had moments but the Swedish got very physical with her. She won't grow any taller but with some weights she could carry another 10 pounds. I personally would take her as is in the US midfield.

Huitema has a good run onto ball game but other than her cross that Sinclair put away with an amazing effort and a serious defensive error, she really didn't combine with anyone. She needs some texture to her game. I like Riviere better.

Rapinoe seemed like she was getting stranded on the left side w no one to pass to...no good angles...at least that's how I remember it...in the past I recall Rapinoe and Press making the kind of combination passes you are referring to...
Other than the corner kick, Rapinoe did nothing this game. She can be a selfish player. If she's on, then her selfishness gets a pass. But when she's off, it's a glaring liability. Her dribbling, passing and shots were all weak today. Glad to see Jill took her out, but shoulda been at half time like they did with Morgan (as I predicted :) ). Wish Jill chose MacDonald instead of Lloyd though as her speed would have stretched the Sweden backline more.

It would take A LOT of courage from Jill, but I'd like to see Lloyd get the start instead of Morgan vs. Spain. Very unlikely due to outside pressures, but look for a quick hook on Morgan if she's ineffective in the first half.

Other than the corner kick, Rapinoe did nothing this game. She can be a selfish player. If she's on, then her selfishness gets a pass. But when she's off, it's a glaring liability. Her dribbling, passing and shots were all weak today. Glad to see Jill took her out, but shoulda been at half time like they did with Morgan (as I predicted :) ). Wish Jill chose MacDonald instead of Lloyd though as her speed would have stretched the Sweden backline more.

It would take A LOT of courage from Jill, but I'd like to see Lloyd get the start instead of Morgan vs. Spain. Very unlikely due to outside pressures, but look for a quick hook on Morgan if she's ineffective in the first half.

Lloyd is a much better player but she doesn't have the wheels that Jill likes. I honestly think Jessica McDonald is a better fit than Morgan or Rapinoe but unfortunately she doesn't "look" the part nor does she "check the boxes" that Jill likes....

Lloyd is a much better player but she doesn't have the wheels that Jill likes. I honestly think Jessica McDonald is a better fit than Morgan or Rapinoe but unfortunately she doesn't "look" the part nor does she "check the boxes" that Jill likes....

At least McDonald is on the team. Somehow, the best goalie in the WC was born, raised, and went to college in So Cal, but plays for England.

Gah. Been stuck in Mexico all week. While it’s nice to have so many games on (Copa America and Gold Cup), I haven’t been able to see a single women’s World Cup game since arriving

At least McDonald is on the team. Somehow, the best goalie in the WC was born, raised, and went to college in So Cal, but plays for England.

In all fairness her parents are English. Heck Janine Beckie for Canada is an American citizen as are multiple players for multiple teams. If the US team had cast a bigger net and stopped anointing players as the next thing before they have proved it then she would likely be our keeper.

I'm just sayin....

Morgan seemed a bit off today. Maybe Coach Ellis should have given her some minutes against Chile to keep her sharp. Big difference between playing Sweden and Thailand.

She was the lowest rated player in the game from either team that played at least 30 minutes. She is overrated. She gets most of her goals against cupcakes. How many goals has she scored against top 5-7 teams? Now Carly Lloyd is a whole different story. She scores when it matters against whomever she is up against...

She was the lowest rated player in the game from either team that played at least 30 minutes. She is overrated. She gets most of her goals against cupcakes. How many goals has she scored against top 5-7 teams? Now Carly Lloyd is a whole different story. She scores when it matters against whomever she is up against...

But she's attractive, looks great on posters that have a swoosh logo on them and her jerseys sell like hot cakes. C'mon, let's keep our priorities straight shall we? ;););)

I don't know about that. Morgan was clutch in the 2011 World Cup. Goal in the semis and goal and assist in the final. She was Malory Pugh's age. She was clutch again at the 2012 Olympics. Winning goal in the semis (extra time) and an assist in the finals. She was coming off a knee injury in the 2015 World Cup.

The IFAB has given FIFA dispensation from carding goalkeepers for line violations during the WWC. This mitigates the possibility that during a penalty shoot out a goalkeeper will be sent off and a field player having to replace the keeper. But it still means effectively they'll be using VAR to review keepers for coming off the line and then punishing them by having the kick retaken. The Goalkeepers Union has cheekily been saying you may as well just pull the keepers from the goal or just have them sit in a chair (Scott Sterling style).

The Premier League meanwhile is saying they won't use VAR to enforce PK infractions next season, the IFAB be damned.

The IFAB has given FIFA dispensation from carding goalkeepers for line violations during the WWC. This mitigates the possibility that during a penalty shoot out a goalkeeper will be sent off and a field player having to replace the keeper. But it still means effectively they'll be using VAR to review keepers for coming off the line and then punishing them by having the kick retaken. The Goalkeepers Union has cheekily been saying you may as well just pull the keepers from the goal or just have them sit in a chair (Scott Sterling style).

The Premier League meanwhile is saying they won't use VAR to enforce PK infractions next season, the IFAB be damned.

Smart move. It would have been a huge issue when you got to KFTM in the knockout rounds. There wouldn't have been a keeper that made it through 5 kicks without getting sent off with two yellows. Or in the alternative the kicks would have lasted 20 rounds until a kicker missed a shot on their own accord as the keepers stayed firmly planted to avoid being cautioned. Very poorly thought out law particularly when combined with the fact that it was subject to a "black or white" VAR review.

Back