UC Irvine 1 - 0 UCLA

Soccer is cruel. UCLA won 22-2 on shots and had 11-10 advantage for 15 min and gave up a goal. All you need is one goal sometimes. Did UCI park the bus? Congrats to the Anteaters :)

I guess its hard to run the shove the keeper in the goal set piece when you only get the ball on frame 5 times. Karma.
:rolleyes:

Glo Hinojosa played amazing and Irvine battled all game long. So goes the tournament, with one game elimination anything can happen. UCLA had a great season and another great recruiting class, they'll be in the mix again next year.

Bad misplay by the UCLA keeper on UCI's only chance in the game. UCI has beaten UCLA, USC, UCLA the last 3 years in NCAA first round

Bad misplay by the UCLA keeper on UCI's only chance in the game. UCI has beaten UCLA, USC, UCLA the last 3 years in NCAA first round
The free kick that bounced off the post? Nah just a 1 in 1000 shot that got a lucky bounce. That distance is the play of death for free kicks with an unusually high percentage from that general area. Keeper has to balance a high probability shot with a header to far post. Keeper must cover the goal first…then rush and try to save usually off balance the header. Keeper also has to be off the line and is usually working with a limited wall.

Irvine keeper was amazing but that comes down to poor shooting by ucla. Cook and others had a few shots that should have gone in. While the Irvine goalkeeper did a good job, in the women’s game you can’t cover the entire goal from a field shot which makes them more viable than the men’s game. Poor shooting in particular the one shot by cook in the 2nd half that should have gone in. Wright also had one in the 1st that was put into the keeper maximum save zone. Can’t shoot can’t win.

The free kick that bounced off the post? Nah just a 1 in 1000 shot that got a lucky bounce. That distance is the play of death for free kicks with an unusually high percentage from that general area. Keeper has to balance a high probability shot with a header to far post. Keeper must cover the goal first…then rush and try to save usually off balance the header. Keeper also has to be off the line and is usually working with a limited wall.

Irvine keeper was amazing but that comes down to poor shooting by ucla. Cook and others had a few shots that should have gone in. While the Irvine goalkeeper did a good job, in the women’s game you can’t cover the entire goal from a field shot which makes them more viable than the men’s game. Poor shooting in particular the one shot by cook in the 2nd half that should have gone in. Wright also had one in the 1st that was put into the keeper maximum save zone. Can’t shoot can’t win.
I agree UCLA wasn't shooting well, they also really missed Sunshine Fontes. Don't score any goals, can't win. I'd give them 75% of the loss, but 25% goes to the keeper. It was a slow header that my keeper, your keeper, most keepers they make the play because they dive to save it instead of just letting it go and hoping it goes wide. I know she is a USYNT keeper, but she only has a .700 save for UCLA and I truly believe that is a save that needs to be made, especially if you play for the top ranked team in soccer.

3 years in a row for UCI. They beat UCLA first round 2021, USC first round 2022, UCLA first round 2023. They know how to win once they get into the tournament.

Pac-12 powers breath a sigh of relief that they won't have to face UCI in the opening round in the future. That is, they won't as Pac-12 representatives.

Amazing how they have been giant killers.

Pac-12 powers breath a sigh of relief that they won't have to face UCI in the opening round in the future. That is, they won't as Pac-12 representatives.

Amazing how they have been giant killers.
Coach Scott recruits' tough, hard nose players. My family watched a home game against Hawaii a few years back and it was super physical. I was shocked with how intense the game was. Big crowd as well. Let's see if they can advance pass the 2nd round. I'm rooting for UCI to go all the way.

Irvine finished in 6th place in the Big West Conference in each of the last two seasons.

The Big West is an underrated local conference that may just get a lot better with all the ridiculous travel that is being imposed by Power 5's to be.

UCI has a tough defensive set up that can grind anyone. And a GK with elimination rounds experience, including PK shootouts. Will be a tough out for anyone they play!

I agree UCLA wasn't shooting well, they also really missed Sunshine Fontes. Don't score any goals, can't win. I'd give them 75% of the loss, but 25% goes to the keeper. It was a slow header that my keeper, your keeper, most keepers they make the play because they dive to save it instead of just letting it go and hoping it goes wide. I know she is a USYNT keeper, but she only has a .700 save for UCLA and I truly believe that is a save that needs to be made, especially if you play for the top ranked team in soccer.
I'm apologizing for being harsh to the UCLA keeper. Every player makes a mistake. My college keeper daughter said she can see how that was more difficult than it may look and the angle and the post both make the save difficult. Even if it was easy, things happen. My bad. :oops:

Irvine finished in 6th place in the Big West Conference in each of the last two seasons.

The Big West is an underrated local conference that may just get a lot better with all the ridiculous travel that is being imposed by Power 5's to be.

UCI has a tough defensive set up that can grind anyone. And a GK with elimination rounds experience, including PK shootouts. Will be a tough out for anyone they play!
Well said. Big West fan. Set plays, corners, strong defense, good solid keepers can make the difference in the NCAA tourney. Really enjoyed watching Columbia Rutgers game, especially the second half. ESPN+ has it available, even more fun if you don't know the final score.

Back