Two Worlds Apart

What is your issue with cash for clunkers?
To ensure that vehicles traded-in under "cash for clunkers" will not be resold by dealers, the program outlines a procedure for destructively disabling the engine (and thus also precluding the possibility that any mechanical engine components might be salvaged to be used in the repair of any other vehicles): The motor oil is drained and replaced with a sodium silicatesolution, then the engine is started and run until the solution, becoming glass-like when heated, causes engine internals to abrade and ultimately seize.[25] In addition, the salvage or scrap facility which acquires the vehicle cannot sell the engine, cylinder heads or a "rolling chassis" from the scrap vehicle. The salvage or scrap facility can sell any other component (including the transmission and axles) from the scrap vehicle separately and may dismantle and warehouse the parts. The "hull" of the vehicle must be crushed within 180 days. Cut off or unbolt front end assemblies may be saved and sold at a later date, as well as the "top and back" of pickup cabs.

The outlined procedure says that running the engine at 2,000 RPM"should disable the engine within a few minutes"; if not, then allow the engine to cool off before repeating the procedure. Hazards associated with the intentional overheating and destruction of the engine include rupturing radiator and hot water/steam, motor oil ejection, toxic fumes, and fire.

By completely disabling the engine, the CARS program avoids recycling schemes such as the one discovered in Germany, where authorities found that an estimated 50,000 scrapped vehicles have been exported to Africa and Eastern Europe, where newer, safer cars of the type being destroyed in the West are prohibitively expensive,[26] In contrast with the U.S. program, the German program only requires dealers to drop off the scrapped vehicles at junkyards, thus allowing the illegal exports.[26]

Auto recyclers and dismantlers have criticized the program due to requirements that the engine is to be disabled to prevent re-use of the car. To auto recyclers, a car's engine is considered to be the most valuable part of a junked car. Some recyclers have refused to participate in the program as well due to the limited profit potential of junking a car brought in under CARS.[27]

Besides ruining thousands of fine cars, it was a financial disaster.
I have some easy and common sense ideas to conserve fuel that would work with some minor changes to draconian traffic eco-laws in California.

One would require that all metering lights at freeway onramps default to a green light when nobody is waiting.

The other would exempt service vehicles from car pool lane restrictions.

Cash for Clunkers seems to be, based on the responses posted here so far, one of those government programs that wingnuts hate, but don't know why.

I have some easy and common sense ideas to conserve fuel that would work with some minor changes to draconian traffic eco-laws in California.

One would require that all metering lights at freeway onramps default to a green light when nobody is waiting.

And or we could get rid of all the 10 million illegals in Ca who clog up the roads with their old junker polluters.

What are "service vehicles"?

What are "service vehicles"?

It's a vehicle that is also the driver's office. It can be anything from a construction truck or van to a delivery vehicle.
It is used to perform a service.
Many people work alone, and drive service vehicles.
The "two or more" requirement should not apply to them.

It's a vehicle that is also the driver's office. It can be anything from a construction truck or van to a delivery vehicle.
It is used to perform a service.
Many people work alone, and drive service vehicles.
The "two or more" requirement should not apply to them.

I see. Your solution is to give you special treatment.

It makes perfect sense.
Service people have no choice but to take their office with them.
Why should they not be exempt?

It's not "special treatment", its common sense.

Most people have no choice but to drive the freeways to go to work 5 or more days a week. Does your "common sense" extend to those people also?

Most people have no choice but to drive the freeways to go to work 5 or more days a week. Does your "common sense" extend to those people also?
I would get rid of car pool lanes and metering lights all together if it were up to me.
You can buy passes to get around car pool lanes, which only punishes the working poor like high gas prices do.

My point was that a service vehicle has to be on the road to survive.

The whole point of car pool lanes is to get your "office people" to carpool to and from the office.
A service vehicle is "the office".

Back