Turning Pro at 13

Can’t tell if she’s any good at soccer but she’s definitely got a certain je ne sais quos! Star quality.
I just included a picture with Marshawn Lynch for those that want to question her genetics. She’ll show you better than I can tell you.

Most posters are making numerous assumptions:
1. all are assuming the dollar amount of the contract is huge
2. everyone has forgotten about the federal and state income taxes on this money. She is not exempt from paying income taxes and if she does break six figures, the under 14 kiddie tax does not apply.
3. since she has given up her NCAA eligibility, people are assuming that she will have the numbers (GPA, AP classes, SAT/ACT scores) to get admission to a top 50 university later on should she choose to get a degree,
4. her desire to continue to play when she has to turn her fun sport into a workload job at the age of 13.
5. what type of changes her body will go through during the next 5 years and how it will affect her abilities.

We also watched the GNT game, I believe it was against Mexico. Was quite surprised as she didn't seem to know where to be on the field and kept losing the ball. Just because you have amazing footwork doesn't mean you can perform in a game under pressure with players charging at you and tackling the ball. Have also seen her play with her club team and because she was much smaller than other players on the team she kept getting knocked down. I wish her well in pursuing her dreams but not sure we can say at this time that this is a smart move.
don't hate on me, watch the game yourself. This isn't about me. I am no one but a parent of a DD that loves the game and have watched thousands of games as a result (and I get to have my own opinions like you). I agree with Zen above ..... "Dominant mids win, receive, distribute, and keep the ball.." In 35 min she only touched the ball abut 10 times and was not an impact player. I have no doubt she is talented and that she works hard. I have seen the slick edited videos of her doing fancy drills and footwork. It is impressive that since a young age she has dedicate so much of her time and effort to training. I am only commenting on the GNT game because many posters have made comments about what a phenom she is and how incredible she is. I was surprised when I first watched that game to see how much of the game she stood or slowly jogged in the middle of the field not near any other players and not making a play on the ball. It seemed like she didn't know where to be in the game. Watch for yourself - maybe you see it differently

I watched it. Remember she's 13 and still has a lot to learn mentally in the game.
But yes she lost the ball (btw I've seen Messi lose the ball too lol).
But other times she played solid I thought. Had some plays, one should have been a goal had her teammate not shot right at the goalie in the box. Also had a great shot to the right corner that goalie made a great diving save. I didn't see the team playing her much in the middle either.
Overall I saw the talent and liked her skill and vision.

I watched it. Remember she's 13 and still has a lot to learn mentally in the game.
But yes she lost the ball (btw I've seen Messi lose the ball too lol).
But other times she played solid I thought. Had some plays, one should have been a goal had her teammate not shot right at the goalie in the box. Also had a great shot to the right corner that goalie made a great diving save. I didn't see the team playing her much in the middle either.
Overall I saw the talent and liked her skill and vision.
I really like her too and thinks she is very talented. I think most of the deficits that she has come from playing “club” in the US. I predict that she will grow exponentially when she gets to Portland.
My concern for her is burnout and social isolation.

I really like her too and thinks she is very talented. I think most of the deficits that she has come from playing “club” in the US. I predict that she will grow exponentially when she gets to Portland.
My concern for her is burnout and social isolation.

What is special about Portland?

What is special about Portland?
It’s a soccer town and she will get treated like a rock star. I also think her exposure to professionals like Tobin Heath will have great influence on her.
I am basing this on my daughters exposure to professionals and soccer culture in Mexico and Spain.
Here’s the point that I think most are missing: My kid, Olivia, & Pulisic are able to distinguish themselves because of “connected” parents that were able to put their kids in ideal training environments that most don’t have access to (emphasis added).

Of course this is not a sure thing, and that's what makes this a great story. A 13-year-old trying to do something that hasn't been done before by a female soccer player.

If this works out soccer wise, awesome. If it doesn't work out and she made some money as a media sensation, great. It's about time someone makes some money from girls' club soccer other than the club DOC's :)

My preschooler watches a silly 7-year-old review toys on a youtube channel called Ryan's Toys Review, and I just found out that kid makes $22M a year! I only wish I was smart enough to have come up with that first.

Lastly, which one of you clowns is posing as MacDre just to annoy us? :)

I looked up 2 games from last June's DA playoffs (they are all on youtube) since she may showcase better with her own team. It looked like her team passed around her at times. Dominant mids win, receive, distribute, and keep the ball...didn't see that. If it's quality vs quantity of touch (very strange for a midfielder), I didn't see her do much with the ball when she had it, often losing it. She may better than most 05's, but by far not the best on the field or even her team...granted Beach is a very talented team.

She would have been 12 last June playing with 14 year olds. I did notice one thing in Concacaaf. She got the ball at the 18 and looked like she could have taken a shot with her left. Instead she tried to make a couple moves to get open with the right and lost the ball. Surprised me. I also think we are over thinking the word "turning pro". She won't be playing with NWSL players like Pugh did. It really means no college ball, but money in her pocket and training with a different set of girls. Everyone is correct on watching highlite reels. I can make my 05 keeper look better than some of the NWSL keepers. Watch a complete game and weaknesses start to show.

It’s a soccer town and she will get treated like a rock star. I also think her exposure to professionals like Tobin Heath will have great influence on her.
I am basing this on my daughters exposure to professionals and soccer culture in Mexico and Spain.
Here’s the point that I think most are missing: My kid, Olivia, & Pulisic are able to distinguish themselves because of “connected” parents that were able to put their kids in ideal training environments that most don’t have access to (emphasis added).
I'm so confused but let me play connect the dots.

Your daughters one of Marshawns fabled Bay Babies (one of 2 to 3 dozen running around Oakland) and his "connections" aka child support puts her in the ideal training environments?

I'm so confused but let me play connect the dots.

Your daughters one of Marshawns fabled Bay Babies (one of 2 to 3 dozen running around Oakland) and his "connections" aka child support puts her in the ideal training environments?
I love haters!

Of course this is not a sure thing, and that's what makes this a great story. A 13-year-old trying to do something that hasn't been done before by a female soccer player.

If this works out soccer wise, awesome. If it doesn't work out and she made some money as a media sensation, great. It's about time someone makes some money from girls' club soccer other than the club DOC's :)

My preschooler watches a silly 7-year-old review toys on a youtube channel called Ryan's Toys Review, and I just found out that kid makes $22M a year! I only wish I was smart enough to have come up with that first.

Lastly, which one of you clowns is posing as MacDre just to annoy us? :)
I love haters. Players do what they want and haters do what they can. I understand. RIP to the homie MacDre!

Back