Turning Pro at 13

even if she doesn't make it and flames out shes well ahead in life financially .

for shits and giggles lets say her deal is for $400k . She puts all of that in a pathetic savings account that yields 3% interest for 6 years until shes 18. Shes making $12k year on interest primarily focusing on soccer, while a normal kid would need to work 800 hrs at $15hr just to make $12k. The girls going to be just fine and have nice nest egg to start life after sports.

The NYT article contains an error.

"Just two members of the current United States women’s national team, for instance, have walked away from college scholarship offers for professional opportunities. Mallory Pugh was 19 when she did it two years ago, joining the N.W.S.L.’s Washington Spirit before ever suiting up for U.C.L.A."

I saw Mallory Pugh play with MAP's daughter for UCLA against UNLV in a friendly in January of 2016 (I think the year is correct). She was definitely wearing the UCLA kit and was amazing.

It is not for lack of talent that so many child prodigies/stars crash and burn -- it is being thrust into adult situations without the maturity, life experience, or foresight to make good choices.

I wish her good fortune.

I'm a little confused. She isn't a consistent starter on the U15 GNT. How has it been determined that she is capable of being a pro? I'm 100% certain that she wouldn't see minutes on my kid's college team and might not even be able to keep up in practice. Am I missing something? Now I admit that I haven't seen film of her but with the physicality of the women's D1 game (let alone the pro game) how do they expect a 13 year old to compete? I doubt that she could keep up with the speed of play (the speed of play in U18 GDA games isn't even sufficient to keep up with the top 25 D1 teams). This is either a hoax, some marketing scam or some serious overhyped fake news. My reading of Anson's statement makes me think that he isn't sure if the money is sufficient. The NY Times is clearly making an assumption about what the details of the contract are so I am curious as to what it truly entails. I guess that we will see when a commercial comes out.

Please post it if you have seen a commercial specifically for her. That little clip at the end of the Nike commercial is cute but amounts to nothing.

I'm a little confused. She isn't a consistent starter on the U15 GNT. How has it been determined that she is capable of being a pro? I'm 100% certain that she wouldn't see minutes on my kid's college team and might not even be able to keep up in practice. Am I missing something? Now I admit that I haven't seen film of her but with the physicality of the women's D1 game (let alone the pro game) how do they expect a 13 year old to compete? I doubt that she could keep up with the speed of play (the speed of play in U18 GDA games isn't even sufficient to keep up with the top 25 D1 teams). This is either a hoax, some marketing scam or some serious overhyped fake news. My reading of Anson's statement makes me think that he isn't sure if the money is sufficient. The NY Times is clearly making an assumption about what the details of the contract are so I am curious as to what it truly entails. I guess that we will see when a commercial comes out.

Please post it if you have seen a commercial specifically for her. That little clip at the end of the Nike commercial is cute but amounts to nothing.

Far better soccer minds than ours (including Dorrance) have deemed her a phenom, so why not stipulate it is so, grant that she is uber-talented, a possible future GOAT. Perhaps she can handle the pressure of those expectations, most cannot. That is my concern, not her level of talent.

Here is a Nike video

Anyone know what her parents story is? Genetics can have a very big role in how a person changes from a kid to an adult.
If mom and dad were both high level athletes, she's got a better chance.
If mom and/or dad are 5'5", and weighs either 110 lbs or 300 lbs - probably less of a chance.

I don't necessarily think it has to be one or the other.

Here are the facts as I see them. She has an insatiable work ethic that is unmatched by any kids this age. Anything she gets at this point can be mostly attributed to that work ethic. She is also very talented and sees the game well.

That said, there is undoubtedly some PR smoke to all of this. If she hadn't had a father that spent all his time for her on social media, she would probably be viewed as "a great player" like many others across the country. It also helps that she has the financial means to have her own field, her own coach and parents able to homeschool her.

Over the next few years, other girls will close that gap on her, but in the end she very well maybe still ahead.

Personally, I wish her the best, mainly because I have fallen victim to her social media PR campaign and am very impressed at the work she puts into the game. Do I think she will be a future Balon D'Or winner, probably not - but let her and her parents enjoy this ride. I admire what she has accomplished so far, but also realize there has been a lot of PR that contributes to her success.

Good for her: living the dream, best of luck on her journey to be a professional.

She has insane footwork, works hard, has a good support system, trainer, and is humble so why not now?

Maybe she got all she could out of da, beach fc, etc and it was time for some new challenges, adventures, might as well strike while the iron is hot.

Don't have the link handy but she was featured in a Nike commercial and been in several so from a marketing standpoint seems like a good deal especially if she takes off.. signature.boots coming soon or something like that ?

She isn't going to play on a professional team - at least not in the near term. I believe they consider her professional simply because she took the marketing money from Nike. I wish her and her family the best.

As Dorrance said, she’s growing the women’s game. We all want more and bigger options for our girls down the road. Good for her for helping blaze the trail and for having a trainer and parents that believe in her potential. She’s not the first 13 year old to sacrifice big for soccer - she’s just the first visible US female. I’ll be rooting for her all the way!

Anyone know what her parents story is? Genetics can have a very big role in how a person changes from a kid to an adult.
If mom and dad were both high level athletes, she's got a better chance.
If mom and/or dad are 5'5", and weighs either 110 lbs or 300 lbs - probably less of a chance.
From one of her videos the mother looks like the gene pool winner and the dad looks like a bridge troll.

MAP, agree with what you're saying. I watched the CONCACAF games she played in some months back and wasn't really impressed. She's obviously a creative player with great skills, but there are plenty with same or better ability and athleticism in the 03/04/05 age groups. I'm not getting the hype honestly. That said, all the best to her and hope she gets what she's trying to achieve.

Nike driving her "bus" now, not Dad and Mom. That could be a good thing given Dad's over-eagerness since the age of 8yrs--"my daughter will be the best soccer player in the World." Playing with the boys, much older girls, European clubs, etc. were all moves to make her "unique" from a marketing angle, not necessarily a better player. That's clear. It worked. Move to Portland puts her in Nike backyard. Guessing she will get top level soccer training and an internship at HQ in Beaverton. Look for A LOT more social media content from her too--she will be this generation's social media girls soccer representative posting all sorts of soccer related content and make money from that too. In that sense I don't see her as being any different than any of the young social media "stars" currently making good coin on Youtube, etc. So, good for her.

As someone mentioned above, the sponsorship all but guarantees her a shot on the USWNT at some point. Imo, some of the women on that team are only still there because of Nike sponsorship. But they are probably the one's who are most miffed/mystified by this deal---can you imagine if an unproven 13yr old gets a deal worth similar $$ as xyz (insert your Nike sponsored USWNT player other than highly paid Alex Morgan here). Not sure if she's still eligible as pro to play on the GNTs? In all objectivity, I didn't think she stood out on the GNTu15 last Fall. Good but similar to her teammates. Not "phenom"-level.

All of that said, I think good move for her to take the Nike deal now. The only new thing that she gives up is college sports eligibility -- and aren't the top college girls playing to hopefully make pro or USWNT anyway? -- she's already got that door open with this deal. And can always go to UNC or another 4-year college for her education if that's what she wants to do. But, since all of her eggs are in the soccer basket, if it doesn't work out, she will likely coach or do something in soccer anyway because her career path was already chosen/narrowed by her parents at 6yrs.

If Pulisic can do it, why not her? Granted, his Nike deal didn't come at 13. Drop in the financial bucket for Nike. No downside for them.

Maybe Nike will now start making some good quality soccer shoes for kids :)

even if she doesn't make it and flames out shes well ahead in life financially .

for shits and giggles lets say her deal is for $400k . She puts all of that in a pathetic savings account that yields 3% interest for 6 years until shes 18. Shes making $12k year on interest primarily focusing on soccer, while a normal kid would need to work 800 hrs at $15hr just to make $12k. The girls going to be just fine and have nice nest egg to start life after sports.
I agree with this and I think it's cool that the family gave it a shot. The changes any kid goes through between ages 13-16 are profound and makes any deal for a 13 year old a gamble. Every kid is a different person, and player, during that period of time.

Nike driving her "bus" now, not Dad and Mom. That could be a good thing given Dad's over-eagerness since the age of 8yrs--"my daughter will be the best soccer player in the World." Playing with the boys, much older girls, European clubs, etc. were all moves to make her "unique" from a marketing angle, not necessarily a better player. That's clear. It worked. Move to Portland puts her in Nike backyard. Guessing she will get top level soccer training and an internship at HQ in Beaverton. Look for A LOT more social media content from her too--she will be this generation's social media girls soccer representative posting all sorts of soccer related content and make money from that too. In that sense I don't see her as being any different than any of the young social media "stars" currently making good coin on Youtube, etc. So, good for her.

As someone mentioned above, the sponsorship all but guarantees her a shot on the USWNT at some point. Imo, some of the women on that team are only still there because of Nike sponsorship. But they are probably the one's who are most miffed/mystified by this deal---can you imagine if an unproven 13yr old gets a deal worth similar $$ as xyz (insert your Nike sponsored USWNT player other than highly paid Alex Morgan here). Not sure if she's still eligible as pro to play on the GNTs? In all objectivity, I didn't think she stood out on the GNTu15 last Fall. Good but similar to her teammates. Not "phenom"-level.

All of that said, I think good move for her to take the Nike deal now. The only new thing that she gives up is college sports eligibility -- and aren't the top college girls playing to hopefully make pro or USWNT anyway? -- she's already got that door open with this deal. And can always go to UNC or another 4-year college for her education if that's what she wants to do. But, since all of her eggs are in the soccer basket, if it doesn't work out, she will likely coach or do something in soccer anyway because her career path was already chosen/narrowed by her parents at 6yrs.

If Pulisic can do it, why not her? Granted, his Nike deal didn't come at 13. Drop in the financial bucket for Nike. No downside for them.

Maybe Nike will now start making some good quality soccer shoes for kids :)

Lots of good points. The level of possible resentment from girls/women on the WNT who did not get this deal is a concern. Those feelings are pretty common in the short history of the USWNT.

But I do disagree on one point. Do not think a lot of women (even top players on most teams) playing in the NCAA are there for a shot at USWNT. Nice perk if it comes, but not in the top 3 reasons for most players. Most know the system does not work that way.

I'm sure she is spectacular for her age, but I've never seen her really stand out in DA games at u16/u17. Maybe a half dozen players on her own team look as good or better. The comparison is a little unfair because she is so young, but I think that shows why this is so vastly premature.

I think these arrangements with Nike create a lot of conflicts of interest with US Soccer. Nike dumps a lot of money into women's soccer, which is great. But Nike's marketing team shouldn't dictate national team players, which this type of thing tacitly does.

This is like the shoe deals they do in youth basketball. they just throw a bunch at the wall and iff one or two make it they are ahead. I haven't seen her lately but when i have she's the real deal...at this age. I can only wish her well and hope this is what she wants and won't be sour later on for what she's missing out as a kid. It is a different life now its not for fun its a business

Seems like a huge mistake to me. One bad injury and all that more than likely goes away. Even a small, nagging one can cause enough problems to lose that.

With FIFA rules she can't play in Europe anyway. Doesn't seem like a smart decision to me.

You don't think College Coaches take scholarship offers away for injuries?

So many haters on here. She has a dream opportunity and took it. If she fails, then so be it. To never try it now when injuries, etc can always prevent the opportunity later on in life, good for her and will make some decent money. Can always go back and get a degree. She's earned the chance to do what every kid dreams for by putting in the work. Be happy for her.

Back