Top 2005 Goal Scorers in 2017-18

Kante

PREMIER
Have been fiddling with some of the data available from the development academy and thought this might be interesting. The table below only includes data from group play (i.e. not showcase), and only for players with 5 or more goals scored. Have about 95% level of confidence in the data since it was assembled mostly automatically and then checked after.

upload_2018-6-25_18-46-2.png

Last edited:
Very detailed.. good job. However I think you are missing a lot of boys from your 5 goals or more list. I like how you added the minutes played. Very cool

Received some comments and input, and here’s the revised the Top 2005 Goal Scorers for Socal u13 Academy for the 2017-18 season. Criteria for inclusion is that player must have scored at least five goals in Socal group play. Excluded the Showcase results because Socal teams were so dominant at the Showcase tournament (i.e. 146 goals scored vs 20 goals allowed, and 32 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses).

If you think a player should be included in this list but is not, please send me a direct note. I’ll take a look at revising the list and, at the least, will send over the referenced player stats back to you.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome!

upload_2018-6-30_13-10-24.png

good deal. got it on center back. grabbed the info from the website so that's where the "forward" description came from.

Received some comments and input, and here’s the revised the Top ?
If you think a player should be included in this list but is not, please send me a direct note. I’ll take a look at revising the list and, at the least, will send over the referenced player stats back to you.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome!

View attachment 2870
Could this be part of the US soccer problem? Only recognizing those who score. How about recognizing top defenders.

Could this be part of the US soccer problem? Only recognizing those who score. How about recognizing top defenders.
of course we should always recognize great defending as much as goalscoring but the reality here is that you can't really measure individual defending with the stats and metrics like those above. Sure, clean sheets/shutouts are an option but that's a collective thing. The top goalscorer stats can be individualized in a way defending cannot.

Valid point. What are your recommendations about best way to measure and then recognize defensive contributors? Was thinking a value-added model (i.e. how many goals per 70 minutes does a team allow when a defender is playing vs a defender is not playing) but it's a little complicated and there's players who play 70 minutes every game who would not be highlighted. Thoughts/comments?

Back