The new season

Looks like blues cup will be a big tournament. Thank you everyone for your comments and for getting some discussion going. Looks like blues vs slammers is an ongoing theme so I’ll give my two cents on all this. Blues are a really good team but seem to be underperforming, could be new players or maybe their team was built more for 7v7 and the move to 9v9 is harder then they thought? Maybe they need more time? Not sure. I have heard that some players on the blues don’t play at all, can anyone speak to that? They showed some fight this past weekend when they beat eagles at west coast tournament but outside of them and eagles there were no challengers but kudos to them for winning it all and getting revenge on eagles. Blues seem to get very very easy group stage games at tournaments and then just have to win two games to win the whole thing. The fact they don’t have a major tournament win yet is concerning. Especially with their easy path. However, if they win blues cup they would be right back in the mix as the dominant team they usually are.

The slammers team seems to be moving in the right direction and look to be dangerous at most positions. Every game they played at surf cup was a challenging team and they won surf cup, by far the toughest tournament to win. In the final, blues scored an early goal and yes there was a keeper mistake by the blues but it wasn’t like the keeper let the ball go in. She mistimed the ball in the air and fumbled it a bit but still had a chance to cover the ball but the slammers forward was able to poke it out and put it in the goal. Both goals were earned not given. Great goals by both teams and then stopping 4 of 5 PKs. Slammers deserved the win. I think the slammers defense is really good as is the blues front line. Will be a really fun matchup to watch this year. I do agree with the slammers parent, although I only watched the second half, but yes I saw the blues put lots of players behind the ball, their midfield was almost imaginary. They also marked number 9, which I have been informed now multiple times that she is not a new player, my apologies. She was giving the blues back line fits and they blues back line was keeping the ball from her too. I hope these two teams meet again at blues so we can all have more to discuss. I also hope blues don’t try to put slammers in the hardest bracket possible and give themselves the easiest. I would love to see both slammers and blues have challengers and still meet in the final for another SoCal showdown. Well that’s all I have....until blues cup!

Legends are a good team that should be in the conversation with blues slammers and galaxy, but they aren’t because they seem to fall apart in finals dating back to last year. They also didn’t have a good surf cup. They are a good team that I hope makes a comeback but right now they are a step below the top 3 in the age group.

Legends are a good team that should be in the conversation with blues slammers and galaxy, but they aren’t because they seem to fall apart in finals dating back to last year. They also didn’t have a good surf cup. They are a good team that I hope makes a comeback but right now they are a step below the top 3 in the age group.

I dont think you could say Blues, Slammers, Galaxy or Legends are ahead of one another. On any given day any of those teams can beat one another. While Slammers did win Surf they had just got eliminated from supercopa in quarters I believe and semis at summer cup by Legends. So while they deserve credit for winning surf they did not do it because they were the most dominating team they just happen to have the ball roll their way that weekend.

I've seen those 4 teams dominate one another this summer on any given day so that just makes it better for us parents to know anyone can win any tournament moving forward. The days of 1 or 2 teams being the dominate force are gone and the playing field has leveled off

If the schedule stays I’d expect blues vs empire and legends vs slammers for semis. In group A, no one to challenge blues, in group B no one to challenge slammers....surf is usually a good team but this year so far they have not looked good. Group C legends vs OVC will be the matchup to watch, I assume legends will win but they have been inconsistent. Group D, I think the empire vs LAGSD will decide who goes to play the blues in the semis. I think both are very capable of winning the group but I give a slight edge to empire. In the end I think we have a rematch of blues vs slammers and I think this game will be higher scoring and blues edge slammers by 1 goal, I’m thinking 3-2, to win blues cup. Thoughts?

[QUOTE="....surf is usually a good team but this year so far they have not looked good. [/QUOTE]

At U11, how are you judging good teams? Based on your statement I assume strictly on results? Have you seen Surf play this year?

I assume not. The team is learning to play the Surf way, the same style that's produced back to back national championships at the u13 level. With that will come losses in games where the team will play beautiful soccer and outplay their opponents as happened in the losses to Empire and EDA. They clearly got outplayed by Real Colorado but came back to play good games against CDA and MVLA. It is great to win Surf Cup and Blues Cup, but I will take development every day of the week and look forward to putting it together for State Cup.

Good luck to everyone at Blues Cup!

[QUOTE="....surf is usually a good team but this year so far they have not looked good.

At U11, how are you judging good teams? Based on your statement I assume strictly on results? Have you seen Surf play this year?

I assume not. The team is learning to play the Surf way, the same style that's produced back to back national championships at the u13 level. With that will come losses in games where the team will play beautiful soccer and outplay their opponents as happened in the losses to Empire and EDA. They clearly got outplayed by Real Colorado but came back to play good games against CDA and MVLA. It is great to win Surf Cup and Blues Cup, but I will take development every day of the week and look forward to putting it together for State Cup.

Good luck to everyone at Blues Cup![/QUOTE]

That was not a dig at surf in any way, I even said they are usually a good team. I am judging my opinion based on the type of losses they are currently taking. I don’t know the exacts but I have seen their results so far this season and many games are not close. They did beat CDA which was a great result and I love the emphasis on development. That being said, So far Surf has not looked good based on result. I think that is a fair statement and that doesn’t mean my opinion won’t change. But you are right I have not seen them play yet and I will make sure I check them out at blues cup. Anything could change 1, 2 years from now or even by the end of this season. I want surf to be good so there is lots of competition and makes the 08 age group fun to watch.

Summers on the Pitch - “Im judging my opinion based on the type of losses they are currently taking. I don’t know the exacts but I have seen their results so far this season and many games are not close.”

Just curious on this reply what results make up this analysis. By looking at this new team’s season’s record, the team has 3 losses total in 3 tournaments and 2 of the 3 losses were by 1 goal vs what you previously have ranked as very good 08 teams. Where are the many games not close?

Summers on the Pitch - “Im judging my opinion based on the type of losses they are currently taking. I don’t know the exacts but I have seen their results so far this season and many games are not close.”

Just curious on this reply what results make up this analysis. By looking at this new team’s season’s record, the team has 3 losses total in 3 tournaments and 2 of the 3 losses were by 1 goal vs what you previously have ranked as very good 08 teams. Where are the many games not close?

I agree. Folks on this forum seem to like to put down teams, esp young teams, but for what purpose Summers on the Pitch? And with zero facts to back it up. I followed this thread so went to look up some teams and saw same thing. You’d have thought Surf was slated to play tier 3 based on your comments? They lost 1 game by a goal in Man City and won Copa Del Mar and lost by 1 goal to tough team again in Surf cup before what looks like a terrible game vs a really good CO team. Who knows what happened there but where are all “ these many games not close “ scores? If you don’t like Surf so be it, to each their own but at least be credible.

Well seems there has been a mixup since I now see there are multiple teams. Oops. I just checked out the other surf team which I see is the top team and they match what Carlsbad10 said. Close games with the exception of Colorado. Surf will definitely be a team to watch.

Blues cup.... I've been waiting patiently for a rundown on the semifinals (Slammers v Legends and Empire v Blues) and final (Slammers v Blues). Can anyone share? My DD's team did not attend so I missed these intense matches. I love watching these amazing teams battle it out!

@Light the slammers played a very tough game vs legends that ended in 1-0. Refs weren’t great but you can say that about any youth soccer game. Legends were pretty physical with slammers, at times it worked and Legends had plenty of chances for an equalizer but couldn’t finish.
Empire vs blues ended 2-0 and the empire sideline got a little chippy with the blues sideline towards the end. Blues overwhelmed them as Empire plays a good style of soccer but with only one standout player they couldn’t keep up.
Slammers vs Blues was a really good game, blues went up 2-0, both goals were on mistakes from the slammers, I think the keeper. Then slammers came roaring back by putting in two in a short amount of time to make it 2-2. Then blues put in a free kick from deep and this was for sure a keeper error as it wasn’t a great free kick and bounced in. Then blues put everyone behind the ball to end the game. Blues definitely played kickball as I don’t think their backline dribbled the whole game and their midfield made very little contribution. However, they did what it took to win the game and the tournament. Great response after losing to slammers at surf.

Well the summer season has come to an end and these are my final rankings going into league:

1. Slammers Blues or Blues Slammers
These two teams are pure quality. They are at least a step above the rest of the teams. One wins surf cup the other wins blues cup, both score lines were very close. They are pretty even and it comes down to the small details.

3. LAGSB
They play great soccer and have some very skilled players, would have liked to see them more this summer but from what was seen at surf, they will be a tough challenge for those in the North of SCDSL.

4. Legends
They play tough but can’t seem to beat the 3 teams ahead of them. They did finally win a tournament, but in NorCal. They are very close and hopefully league helps this team to develop and knock off one of the top 3.

5. SD surf
Having finally watched this team, they will finish the year battling for a state title. They are close to being a top team but not there yet. They looked good at blues cup and the score line vs slammers doesn’t tell the whole story, they played it very close (1-0) majority of the game and then an incredible 2 minutes by slammers resulted in a 3-0 loss.

6. Eagles
Tough team that started the year strong but has tailed off a bit since. Will hurt them that they won’t play top competition in SCDSL. Hoping they keep their high level of play after season.

7. LAGSD
Tough team but can’t seem to put it all together as shown by their last minute loss to Empire at blues cup.

8-?? Everyone else

I hope all the girls continue to develop and create some exciting games in league, thanksgiving and January. Then we will see who will dethrone the blues or will they 3peat as state champs?
Best of luck to you all.

@Light the slammers played a very tough game vs legends that ended in 1-0. Refs weren’t great but you can say that about any youth soccer game. Legends were pretty physical with slammers, at times it worked and Legends had plenty of chances for an equalizer but couldn’t finish.
Empire vs blues ended 2-0 and the empire sideline got a little chippy with the blues sideline towards the end. Blues overwhelmed them as Empire plays a good style of soccer but with only one standout player they couldn’t keep up.
Slammers vs Blues was a really good game, blues went up 2-0, both goals were on mistakes from the slammers, I think the keeper. Then slammers came roaring back by putting in two in a short amount of time to make it 2-2. Then blues put in a free kick from deep and this was for sure a keeper error as it wasn’t a great free kick and bounced in. Then blues put everyone behind the ball to end the game. Blues definitely played kickball as I don’t think their backline dribbled the whole game and their midfield made very little contribution. However, they did what it took to win the game and the tournament. Great response after losing to slammers at surf.

Well the summer season has come to an end and these are my final rankings going into league:

1. Slammers Blues or Blues Slammers
These two teams are pure quality. They are at least a step above the rest of the teams. One wins surf cup the other wins blues cup, both score lines were very close. They are pretty even and it comes down to the small details.

3. LAGSB
They play great soccer and have some very skilled players, would have liked to see them more this summer but from what was seen at surf, they will be a tough challenge for those in the North of SCDSL.

4. Legends
They play tough but can’t seem to beat the 3 teams ahead of them. They did finally win a tournament, but in NorCal. They are very close and hopefully league helps this team to develop and knock off one of the top 3.

5. SD surf
Having finally watched this team, they will finish the year battling for a state title. They are close to being a top team but not there yet. They looked good at blues cup and the score line vs slammers doesn’t tell the whole story, they played it very close (1-0) majority of the game and then an incredible 2 minutes by slammers resulted in a 3-0 loss.

6. Eagles
Tough team that started the year strong but has tailed off a bit since. Will hurt them that they won’t play top competition in SCDSL. Hoping they keep their high level of play after season.

7. LAGSD
Tough team but can’t seem to put it all together as shown by their last minute loss to Empire at blues cup.

8-?? Everyone else

I hope all the girls continue to develop and create some exciting games in league, thanksgiving and January. Then we will see who will dethrone the blues or will they 3peat as state champs?
Best of luck to you all.

Hahaha! Can I get a rundown from a Non-Slammers parent, please? According to @Summers on the pitch, every team but Slammers had flaws. Can someone give me a less bias rundown?!

Hahaha! Can I get a rundown from a Non-Slammers parent, please? According to @Summers on the pitch, every team but Slammers had flaws. Can someone give me a less bias rundown?!

First, not a Slammers parent and I pointed out where they had issues and gave blues their credit. I do like how they play and hope my DD makes it there one day. Second, I’m sorry I didn’t mention your DDs team as that must be why you are upset. This is all my opinion and meant to create some conversation. You should probably go to the game next time so you get the least bias rundown or just don’t complain as you really can’t tell what’s more or less bias since you weren’t there.

First, not a Slammers parent and I pointed out where they had issues and gave blues their credit. I do like how they play and hope my DD makes it there one day. Second, I’m sorry I didn’t mention your DDs team as that must be why you are upset. This is all my opinion and meant to create some conversation. You should probably go to the game next time so you get the least bias rundown or just don’t complain as you really can’t tell what’s more or less bias since you weren’t there.

You sure did let the GK have it, though. Those dang 10 year old goalkeepers shouldn’t be out there if they can’t make the easy saves. Kid probably still believes in the tooth fairy and probably played 5 games (300 minutes??) in goal all weekend.

Again, hahaha. No, I'm not bitter because my DD's team wasn't mentioned (we are a 2nd flight team and don't expect to be on YOUR list any time soon). Althought it would have been worth it, I wasn't going to drive more than an hour away and pay ridiculous parking to catch the final (why don't they televise these games,dammit!--Joke!). I'm surprised you saw the final since you aren't a Slammers or Blues parent. I say this because only the two semifinal winners went on to play on Monday, right? But hey, I'm just here sipping my tea :)

Again, hahaha. No, I'm not bitter because my DD's team wasn't mentioned (we are a 2nd flight team and don't expect to be on YOUR list any time soon). Althought it would have been worth it, I wasn't going to drive more than an hour away and pay ridiculous parking to catch the final (why don't they televise these games,dammit!--Joke!). I'm surprised you saw the final since you aren't a Slammers or Blues parent. I say this because only the two semifinal winners went on to play on Monday, right? But hey, I'm just here sipping my tea :)
You’re right, totally implausible that I have more than one kid at a different age group. Have some tea for me?

Back