Surf Cup - Best of the Best ECNL vs DA

That supports what I said earlier that Surf Cup no longer seems to be the best of the best - whether teams are on break or choose not to go to Surf Cup for other reasons there are many “best” teams that aren’t signed up

That supports what I said earlier that Surf Cup no longer seems to be the best of the best - whether teams are on break or choose not to go to Surf Cup for other reasons there are many “best” teams that aren’t signed up
You are correct. Dam. WTF. SC is?????....

Silverlakes/ Surf Cup is typically at the very end of July/ beginning of Aug - why would that be affected by a 3-4 week break in June/July
Cause the last DA event is the last days of June, if your team made the playoffs then they could be playing until the 10th of July (meaning out of area teams may have just been on the road for up to 10 of the last 15 to 20 days getting thru the National Playoffs. So I don’t think (yes I am assuming) too many teams are looking to rush back into another tournament. My DD is now on a 4 week break and won’t be back till the 2nd week of August.

Some may want to for their own reasons...can’t/won’t make more assumptions on that.

It looks like Silverlakes has a significant edge in terms of team quality this year.

It looks like Silverlakes has a significant edge in terms of team quality this year.
Norco weather forecast (99+ and wind) vs Oceanside Forecast (75-78, some wind too). At least Surf Cup has the weather. I know my dd is happy where she will be playing that weekend :). She could care a less what teams she's playing against as long as its not hot....lol

Definitley not best of the best. Very eye brow raising as far as teams selected. Cant make rhyme or reason. But none the less, good luck to everyone!

Definitley not best of the best. Very eye brow raising as far as teams selected. Cant make rhyme or reason. But none the less, good luck to everyone!
So hard to know at this stage of the year. Obviously the DA teams should be in the "best of the best" groups. The other teams that made it in the "Best of the Best" you have politics at work and then some coin flips. At the end of the day you have to come ready to play regardless of who your playing against....

Norco weather forecast (99+ and wind) vs Oceanside Forecast (75-78, some wind too). At least Surf Cup has the weather. I know my dd is happy where she will be playing that weekend :). She could care a less what teams she's playing against as long as its not hot....lol
Forecast still shows 100 in Norco 77 in del Mar and Oceanside.

For those at Silverlakes stay hydrated and be safe!

So hard to know at this stage of the year. Obviously the DA teams should be in the "best of the best" groups. The other teams that made it in the "Best of the Best" you have politics at work and then some coin flips. At the end of the day you have to come ready to play regardless of who your playing against....
Yes, be prepared to play three ninety minutes games in less than twenty-four hours for the "Best of the Best" at Surf Cup for the U17.

Dallas Cup is the best of the best tournament wise in the US (MIC is quality internationally). I have seen no better collection of teams and corresponding difficulty to get in.

Also the best run event I have ever been a part of.

Done that tournament this year and maybe two to four good teams but nothing to dream about.maybe for the u18 division, anything under u17 and under no way i would say the best....but "Adidas generation cup " that's where you find the top teams.

Look man, the sign says “best of the best” and that’s that. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

"Best of the Best" as far as making $$$$. I remember my little one playing in her first Surf Cup and winning her age group. It was awesome. We actually felt we were the "best of the best." Two years later they ($urf Cup $ports) added a second group and now a third group. We have a complete watered down product at $urf Cup and with club soccer in the SoCal region. $urf Cup is all about the almighty $$$ and so is club soccer. I remember a wise coach from Blues (TB) once told me, "This is a business first. Who are the customers?"

For the olders I think it's good they add additional teams or groups even though it's a tournament those teams can treat it like a showcase with the list of colleges attending. Those additional teams need these showcases cause they don't have DA and ECNL exposure. So go to surf cup or Silverlakes which ever works best for you. List of colleges attending looks about the same

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/public/collgecoachattending.aspx?eid=989

https://scoutingzone.com/TournamentArea/SurfCup/ScoutAttendees

For the olders I think it's good they add additional teams or groups even though it's a tournament those teams can treat it like a showcase with the list of colleges attending. Those additional teams need these showcases cause they don't have DA and ECNL exposure. So go to surf cup or Silverlakes which ever works best for you. List of colleges attending looks about the same

https://tgs.totalglobalsports.com/public/collgecoachattending.aspx?eid=989

https://scoutingzone.com/TournamentArea/SurfCup/ScoutAttendees
I agree. However, it would be nice to have one tournament to see who the "best of the best" is. Surf Cup was that.

I do have an idea on how Surf Cup can redeem itself. Invite the quarter finalist of the 2020 DA teams and the quarter finalist of the ECNL teams. Surf Cup and US Soccer can cover the costs for those who have to travel. YNT scouts and college coaches would have a blast watching. "Best of the Best" now sounds legit.

"Best of the best", "State Cup", "National Cup", "National Champions" - I thought people understood these taglines mean nothing any more? The soccer landscape has completely changed, and arguably this marketing puffery never meant anything to begin with.

I do have an idea on how Surf Cup can redeem itself. Invite the quarter finalist of the 2020 DA teams and the quarter finalist of the ECNL teams. Surf Cup and US Soccer can cover the costs for those who have to travel. YNT scouts and college coaches would have a blast watching. "Best of the Best" now sounds legit.

Why is that Surf Cup's responsibility?

It's a tournament. Meant to bring teams together AND to generate cash.

Nothing more.

Keep crying tho.

Back