Surf Cup 2023 AAR

NorCalUSN

SILVER
So on the off chance someone form Surf Cup Sports lurks out there in the internet ether, I thought we ought to share some of our thoughts on the 2023 Surf Cup in an AAR (After Action Report).

I'll start it off: Parking which seems like every year was a sh!tSh0W again, at Del Mar you are raking in $20 a car ($50 for a three-day pass) a day. including finals, I'm guessing in the ball park of like $1,000 an hour, I think Oceanside was $15 a car. Anyway what are we paying for? muddy dusty roads? poor access? Don't get me wrong the fields seemed fairly decent grass for the majority but WTF?

Port o Potties were third world, needed more at locations other than the entrance and more maintenance, I felt like I needed a tetanus shot after using them and I was just using the urinal portions

Ball control I don't know how many minutes probably hours were wasted on balls that went past the goal into other fields or over the fences into parking lots and whatever that region is to the south of the fields over the fence? Other clubs can install that very fine fishnetting why can't Surf?

Road access but I'm sure that's a county/city issue but man what a mess. 30-45 minutes on a one lane road to get in, get better Surf Cup Management.

Positives: At least they didn't schedule Surf Cup this year on Comicon weekend
Fields (mentioned)

Agreed on all of the above mentioned. I would also like to include half-rate graphics for $40 T-Shirts and $75 sweatshirts. You mentioned the nets behind the goals and I 100% agree. I also don't understand how in EVERY game in any other tournament or season game we have one extra ball next to each goal, yet at Surf Cup we did not. The wind always sucks but it also does at Silverlakes as well. The grass was solid, and the competition was good as usual. We had some good refs, and then some terrible ones calling nothing and letting dangerous play take place. In one day I saw three different ambulances coming to the fields, that was a first for me, and hope all the players are ok. I would say if my club decided to not do Surf Cup next year I wouldn't be mad at that decision as it seems to be a money grab with some positives sprinkled in for good measure.

I also don't understand how in EVERY game in any other tournament or season game we have one extra ball next to each goal, yet at Surf Cup we did not.

The designated Home team doesn't have to provide the 3 game balls? Wouldn't it the fault of the home team not providing what's required, and/or the ref not calling them on it before the start of play? Or does the tournament itself actually provide balls for each field / each game?

EDIT: found it

game ball.png

Looks like the tournament does supply a ball, but home team is on the hook if a ball is needed for play. Sure seems like it would always make sense to have at least 3 balls ready to go, any less could certainly cause unnecessary delays.

Grass on the fields was great. $20 for parking is out of control, that is parking garage prices, not gravel lots. Porta-potties were the same for every tournament (bad), hand washing stations were not kept up on. Had first game of day once, last game of day, and afternoon game. No issues arriving for any game, drive was smooth, with minimal traffic at the light near the fields. Leaving after the las games of the day was gridlock all the way out of the parking lot. The traffic control people were long gone, creating problems exiting. If the team puts the ball in the back of the net, they don't have to chase it all over, I kid, I kid....

Grass on the fields was great. $20 for parking is out of control, that is parking garage prices, not gravel lots. Porta-potties were the same for every tournament (bad), hand washing stations were not kept up on. Had first game of day once, last game of day, and afternoon game. No issues arriving for any game, drive was smooth, with minimal traffic at the light near the fields. Leaving after the las games of the day was gridlock all the way out of the parking lot. The traffic control people were long gone, creating problems exiting. If the team puts the ball in the back of the net, they don't have to chase it all over, I kid, I kid....

Ha!! I wish they were taking enough shots to actually miss some.

But it was ridiculous to watch refs run down balls into the parking lot to bring back into the field. That was a first for me.

One last thing, I do really enjoy watching the Hawaiian teams play. Don’t get to see them much except for Surf Cup. Watched the Leahi SC 08’s play the Sharks 08 ECNL.

So on the off chance someone form Surf Cup Sports lurks out there in the internet ether, I thought we ought to share some of our thoughts on the 2023 Surf Cup in an AAR (After Action Report).

I'll start it off: Parking which seems like every year was a sh!tSh0W again, at Del Mar you are raking in $20 a car ($50 for a three-day pass) a day. including finals, I'm guessing in the ball park of like $1,000 an hour, I think Oceanside was $15 a car. Anyway what are we paying for? muddy dusty roads? poor access? Don't get me wrong the fields seemed fairly decent grass for the majority but WTF?

Port o Potties were third world, needed more at locations other than the entrance and more maintenance, I felt like I needed a tetanus shot after using them and I was just using the urinal portions

Ball control I don't know how many minutes probably hours were wasted on balls that went past the goal into other fields or over the fences into parking lots and whatever that region is to the south of the fields over the fence? Other clubs can install that very fine fishnetting why can't Surf?

Road access but I'm sure that's a county/city issue but man what a mess. 30-45 minutes on a one lane road to get in, get better Surf Cup Management.

Fields (mentioned)

Yeah, ok, but counter point: Hawaiian Shaved Ice truck!!!!!

There were two balls provided for each field. One for the game, the second if the game ball got knocked so far away it would be quicker to use the extra. 99% of the time, two balls was fine. Get the 2nd ball in quickly, and hopefully a parent gets off their chair and gets the 1st one back.

I ref'd a couple Hawaii teams. I agree, they were fun to watch, as we don't get to see them usually. One of the worst things a ref can do is get hit by the ball. During my 8th game after two days of 4 each, it happened to me (was more tired and slow to react then would normally be). The Hawaiin player from their 2009 top team, in the Best of the Best backet, got the ball off a deflection from inside the penalty area, and nailed a one-timer back towards goal. Of course, there I stand, surprised from the deflection and the one-timer. Turned in time to not take it to my privates, so got it in the butt instead. This was right in front of the Hawaii parents, and they had a good laugh. Thankfully.

Agreed on port-a-potties. Not a good look for sure. The roads in are out of their control, but I expect traffic and add time. Being a ref gets me in free to park, but those prices are crazy, and it always make me wonder why they don't just roll the cost into the tournament entry price.

There were two balls provided for each field. One for the game, the second if the game ball got knocked so far away it would be quicker to use the extra. 99% of the time, two balls was fine. Get the 2nd ball in quickly, and hopefully a parent gets off their chair and gets the 1st one back.

I ref'd a couple Hawaii teams. I agree, they were fun to watch, as we don't get to see them usually. One of the worst things a ref can do is get hit by the ball. During my 8th game after two days of 4 each, it happened to me (was more tired and slow to react then would normally be). The Hawaiin player from their 2009 top team, in the Best of the Best backet, got the ball off a deflection from inside the penalty area, and nailed a one-timer back towards goal. Of course, there I stand, surprised from the deflection and the one-timer. Turned in time to not take it to my privates, so got it in the butt instead. This was right in front of the Hawaii parents, and they had a good laugh. Thankfully.

Agreed on port-a-potties. Not a good look for sure. The roads in are out of their control, but I expect traffic and add time. Being a ref gets me in free to park, but those prices are crazy, and it always make me wonder why they don't just roll the cost into the tournament entry price.

I assume you mean it hit you after the one-timer shot instead of after being deflected from inside the PA (otherwise play would have been halted for "promising attack"). That's unlucky. While you are worrying about your privates you have to worry about the restart and the degree of frustration from the parents will depend on the restart. If the ball didn't change possession or lead to a promising attack and was outside the PA: play on. If the ball changed possession or led to a promising attack outside the PA: dropped ball to the team that took the shot. If the ball changed possession or led to a promising attack in the PA: ball to the goalkeeper and the attack is over. If the ball went into the goal: disavow the goal. Tough when you've got so much running through your head. Sorry to hear it.

Fields (mentioned)

I'll bet you never thought SilverLakes and 112-degree heat would ever sound so good. And THOSE guys have beer.

I'd like to tell Fairfield Inn to kiss my ass for charging $275 a night during Surf. I don't know if there's a Fairfield there but you get my drift.

The fields we played on were immaculate. This is the first time i questioned the parking fee, my theory has always been "i'll gladly pay that for these fields" -- the price jump to $20 had me hesitate. Our referees were top notch. We had the early Friday game (7:30am) and there was traffic before 7am (!). Some of our parents got hit by warm-up shots from the field behind us where the fields change orientation -- not sure how to affordably fix that but hopefully something can be done. I'm nearing the end and it's still my favorite tournament -- I'm going to miss Surf Cup when my DD is done.

I assume you mean it hit you after the one-timer shot instead of after being deflected from inside the PA (otherwise play would have been halted for "promising attack"). That's unlucky. While you are worrying about your privates you have to worry about the restart and the degree of frustration from the parents will depend on the restart. If the ball didn't change possession or lead to a promising attack and was outside the PA: play on. If the ball changed possession or led to a promising attack outside the PA: dropped ball to the team that took the shot. If the ball changed possession or led to a promising attack in the PA: ball to the goalkeeper and the attack is over. If the ball went into the goal: disavow the goal. Tough when you've got so much running through your head. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah, you assumed correctly. Ball deflected out of the PA to attacker who one times it into me. I was outside the PA (as a ref should be usually), and the ball went off my ass right back to her. No promising attack directly after, ball was moved around backwards a bit before heading back in towards goal. I'm usually proud of myself for anticipating where the ball will be going, so am hardly ever hit. After the 4th game and sweating my ass off all morning, my mind and body were no longer on the same page. But I am proud that I wasn't standing inside the center cirlce watching the game from 40 yards away...

Yeah, you assumed correctly. Ball deflected out of the PA to attacker who one times it into me. I was outside the PA (as a ref should be usually), and the ball went off my ass right back to her. No promising attack directly after, ball was moved around backwards a bit before heading back in towards goal. I'm usually proud of myself for anticipating where the ball will be going, so am hardly ever hit. After the 4th game and sweating my ass off all morning, my mind and body were no longer on the same page. But I am proud that I wasn't standing inside the center cirlce watching the game from 40 yards away...

Were you onside? I don't see anything else being that relevant.

I’m a local SD Surf dad. I’ve honestly never really understood the “hate” (and I use that VERY loosely) for Surf Park. I get the traffic. I get the angst for high parking fees, which escalated rather quickly from $12/day to $15/day to now $20/day. But tournament weekends are the least of my complaints. I’ve never once not found a parking spot within 500 ft of a field entrance. I’ve never spent 45+ minutes getting out of Surf Park (and it’s not because I know the local roads to get home). I understand that much of the park is out of Surf’s control (they are leasing the land).

I’ve traveled to many other areas and Surf Park is still one I’m proud to call home. So much turf in other places!!

Now, I think some additional fencing/netting would be great!! They installed some for SD Wave. It would be easy enough to do the same around the edges (ie between fields and parking lot), at a minimum.

I’m a local SD Surf dad. I’ve honestly never really understood the “hate” (and I use that VERY loosely) for Surf Park. I get the traffic. I get the angst for high parking fees, which escalated rather quickly from $12/day to $15/day to now $20/day. But tournament weekends are the least of my complaints. I’ve never once not found a parking spot within 500 ft of a field entrance. I’ve never spent 45+ minutes getting out of Surf Park (and it’s not because I know the local roads to get home). I understand that much of the park is out of Surf’s control (they are leasing the land).

I’ve traveled to many other areas and Surf Park is still one I’m proud to call home. So much turf in other places!!

Now, I think some additional fencing/netting would be great!! They installed some for SD Wave. It would be easy enough to do the same around the edges (ie between fields and parking lot), at a minimum.

Agreed that the fields are amazing and so was the competition. Still an amazing tournament that is a must-attend for teams across the country.

I agree, the fields are amazing + if your team is from out of town there's all kinds of fun things to do in San Diego.

Additional nets are probably a nimby issue. If this is the case there should be 6 balls per game + put them in a bags connected to the goals. Balls are cheap + make them Surf Cup logo'd + the teams can take them home after every game and you've got instant nationwide advertising. 3-4 games + 3 balls per game and you've outfitted coaches for practice balls. What's the value of an entire team seeing Surf Cup on their practice balls all season long.

My sons played Surf Cup 3 times over the years. My favorite time was the year when the team with whom he was a frequent guest player got invited at the last minute to fill in for one of the Celtic teams who backed out because of a scheduling conflict with the USYSA National Tournament after they had won the Region 4 title. In our bracket, we played State Cup winners or runners-up from eastern states and easily won the bracket. In the first knockout round, we lost to Celtic's other team in the age group who eventually won the whole group. Based on that, I think it is (or was in those days, at least) more valuable for remote teams to play in Surf Cup and happily pay the boosted hotel rates as part of the experience.

Last edited:
Back