Summary of Tryouts

And here is one other thing most forget..college is NOT always the answer to a full happy successful personal life for all young adults. College does not guarantee monetary success, college is not mandatory in life. It seems at times standing on the sidelines of the the "olders" games that the parents are so brain washed that the only thing they can talk about is college this and college that! NEWS FLASH college is not the answer for everyone! And further more how many have truly allowed their children the choice of not playing soccer or going to college right out of high school or not going to college at all? I know several examples in my family and friends that are happy and successful and have not attended any type of college and others that are very happy that have done 12 years of college.
Little personal story..a couple years back we were driving to Vegas for a college showcase. The day before my DD coach had told me he had 3-4 big time scouts coming to watch her play in this showcase (she was only 15) and so as we were driving I looked in my rear view mirror at my little girl and point blank asked her "hey ----- do you want to go to college?" She took a minute and rolled her eyes and looked back at me through the rear view mirror and said "umm IDK, really I just want to go to play soccer and if college is the only way I can play after HS & club then yes"
It hit me then and there she had no clue, shit most these little kids don't really even understand what college truly is at 15 years old!
All depends on the family. Both my wife and I have degrees from college and my wife a Masters degree. We educated both of our kids regarding the importance of a college education and how it applies to a future occupation.

When my DD was attending unoffical visits, she already had an older brother in college. My wife and I also informed our DD that she didn't have to play soccer in college. That she could quit and become a normal college student like her brother. We had her apply to other universities and was accepted, in case she changed her mind. Today she still hasn't changed her mind and is reporting in 2 1/2 weeks. This from a player who committed the early part of her HS sophomore year.

All depends on the family. Both my wife and I have degrees from college and my wife a Masters degree. We educated both of our kids regarding the importance of a college education and how it applies to a future occupation.

When my DD was attending unoffical visits, she already had an older brother in college. My wife and I also informed our DD that she didn't have to play soccer in college. That she could quit and become a normal college student like her brother. We had her apply to other universities and was accepted, in case she changed her mind. Today she still hasn't changed her mind and is reporting in 2 1/2 weeks. This from a player who committed the early part of her HS sophomore year.

That is great.

And here is one other thing most forget..college is NOT always the answer to a full happy successful personal life for all young adults. College does not guarantee monetary success, college is not mandatory in life. It seems at times standing on the sidelines of the the "olders" games that the parents are so brain washed that the only thing they can talk about is college this and college that! NEWS FLASH college is not the answer for everyone! And further more how many have truly allowed their children the choice of not playing soccer or going to college right out of high school or not going to college at all? I know several examples in my family and friends that are happy and successful and have not attended any type of college and others that are very happy that have done 12 years of college.
Little personal story..a couple years back we were driving to Vegas for a college showcase. The day before my DD coach had told me he had 3-4 big time scouts coming to watch her play in this showcase (she was only 15) and so as we were driving I looked in my rear view mirror at my little girl and point blank asked her "hey ----- do you want to go to college?" She took a minute and rolled her eyes and looked back at me through the rear view mirror and said "umm IDK, really I just want to go to play soccer and if college is the only way I can play after HS & club then yes"
It hit me then and there she had no clue, shit most these little kids don't really even understand what college truly is at 15 years old!

College is always an individual decision. It is the right fit for some and not the right fit for others. Just like at 15 some kids know they want to go and some just want to kick a ball. My personal thoughts are that unless the sport is a revenue sport I don't think that it is a good idea to go to college solely to play a game. With that being said, college is a great place to discover your passions if you don't come in with any particular direction. The same can be said about joining the military or going on a Mormon mission.

My player had two options, college or a trade school. Fortunately she told me prior to ever playing a club game that she was going to go to the school that she now attends. Some kids know what they want and the go after it. There are many roads to Rome and I recommend that a family finds the road that suits their kid and their values. It sounds like your player has had some rough spots but she continues to have a passion for the game which is good. As always make sure that your player has fun, plays great soccer, gets good grades, picks the path (and the school if that is the path) and you help push your player to the end. Good luck to you and yours.

College is always an individual decision. It is the right fit for some and not the right fit for others. Just like at 15 some kids know they want to go and some just want to kick a ball. My personal thoughts are that unless the sport is a revenue sport I don't think that it is a good idea to go to college solely to play a game. With that being said, college is a great place to discover your passions if you don't come in with any particular direction. The same can be said about joining the military or going on a Mormon mission.

My player had two options, college or a trade school. Fortunately she told me prior to ever playing a club game that she was going to go to the school that she now attends. Some kids know what they want and the go after it. There are many roads to Rome and I recommend that a family finds the road that suits their kid and their values. It sounds like your player has had some rough spots but she continues to have a passion for the game which is good. As always make sure that your player has fun, plays great soccer, gets good grades, picks the path (and the school if that is the path) and you help push your player to the end. Good luck to you and yours.

Agree.
Did you say "Mormon mission!?" wow that might be a bit specific. What if your child is just a Christian but not a Morman Christian haha My story was from a couple years back, she now has a pretty clear direction to go now based on what we feel and what she feels is best for her NOT what a Soccer club or any outsiders think. All of our children have taken different paths in life and so far all are way above average in all aspects of life. Very rewarding for my wife and i to see.

Listen in all honesty what would you rather- a partial scholarship at Univ of Souh Utah Valley or saying "hey let's do a JC for a year or two and see what happens?"
My point being if you are going to make choices on those schools you should also be frank about how it sets them up for grad school or whatever.
Why I also find interesting is sooooooo many people on this board are so focused on club branding and feel like for example "surf always produces so it will continue to" and "blues always produces top people" (even though coaching staff at both is basically unrecognizable from five years ago) but when it comes to an EDUCATION some are like "well is a good school" and don't recognize that the college your child chooses very well can shape a large portion of their twenties. The same logic as to why you chose a club isn't applied to college.
It's odd.
I have always thought the committ page was a sham. I stick to the google doc.
I don't begrudge any family but I agree with the poster that said some of these schools are nothing to brag about. Just because you got money to go to school doesn't mean you should. For example a law degree from that school in San Diego isn't worth toilet paper anymore and grads are suing..
Regardless of where you do your undergraduate work, you will still need to perform well on the MCAT, LSAT, GRE, or GMAT depending on your career direction to attend graduate school. Wherever you do your undergraduate work, hard, put in the work, play soccer and enjoy the journey! Good luck to all to all the girls who love soccer!

:rolleyes:
Where I'm talking about is on their website. ( http://www.legendsfc.net/ )

They just added a couple of girls who committed to Cal State Fullerton, but one of their first commitments of the 2019's was SK (YNT defender) to USC. I'll bet in week or two her name will be at the top of that list again, I've watched it happen several times already. It's why even though she's one of their earliest 2019 commits, she's shown as the third commitment in the column, showing up after several girls who she committed way before than and before girls who were added to the site way way after she was.
You may be right. Keeping that USC (of the Southern Cal flavor that is) NC school at the top of the list adds a certain "club panache" maybe?

:rolleyes:
You may be right. Keeping that USC (of the Southern Cal flavor that is) NC school at the top of the list adds a certain "club panache" maybe?

Well, they also just got a Slammer player into their Development Academy and were all too ready to add her U of Oregon commitment (that was already made) to their list. Definitely a big commitment that they want parents and prospective parents seeing, even though the club itself literally had nothing to do with or even help with the commitment whatsoever as this would be her first year there.

Back