Specific eligibility question – club soccer versus high school team still in CIF playoffs

Tim Powell

SILVER ELITE
I’ve tried to find the detailed eligibility rules when it comes to outside competition for soccer. It’s not incredibly easy to find, nor are there detailed specifics that cover various scenarios.

Here is my specific question. Anyone who is deeply versed in the eligibility rules - it would be great to know the story:

If a high school team is still alive, can one of their players attend a club practice in street clothes just to connect with the team and be there for the coach’s messaging as they prepare for a showcase after CIF playoffs are complete?

I’ve tried to find the detailed eligibility rules when it comes to outside competition for soccer. It’s not incredibly easy to find, nor are there detailed specifics that cover various scenarios.

Here is my specific question. Anyone who is deeply versed in the eligibility rules - it would be great to know the story:

If a high school team is still alive, can one of their players attend a club practice in street clothes just to connect with the team and be there for the coach’s messaging as they prepare for a showcase after CIF playoffs are complete?

I don't see how there's any justification to punish you for that. This was covered on the forum sometime ago. If I remember correctly, it had to be a like for like sport, you had to participate and even futsal was considered a different sport than outdoor soccer. I'm sure others here know more than I do.

Here's the original thread... though a bit dated. Probably best to talk to your club coach and high school A.D.

Found this...
#2708. OUTSIDE COMPETITION BY AN INDIVIDUAL
During Individual’s Season of Sport ‐ A member of a high school soccer team may not, during his or her season of sport, compete for an outside team
in the sport of soccer. A season of sport (see Bylaw 504) is defined as that period which begins with a student’s first interscholastic competition (non‐ league, tournament, or league game) and ends with that student’s last interscholastic contest (tournament, non‐league or CIF Southern Section playoff).

I know plenty of players in the past who have opted to train with their club teams the entire season.

It also depends on which section, the San Diego Section and Southern Section have slightly different rules. The San Diego Section just updated their bylaws 600.1 on January 17th 2024.

During a San Diego Section athlete’s season of sport, he or she may not practice with, or attend any form of Group Training, Tryout, Showcase, Camp, Clinic, or College ID Camp for any Youth Club, Travel, or Outside Team (or Personnel Associated with such Outside Team) for which the student athlete has participated with in the previous twenty-four (24) months.

College ID Camps, Specific Sport Camp, Clinics, and Group Trainings are permitted as long as they are not being run by any Youth Club, Travel, or Outside Team (or Personnel Associated with such Outside Team) for which the student athlete has participated with in the previous twenty-four (24) months.

Reminder: Outside organization activity (club, etc.), shall not be used to circumvent CIF Bylaws regarding practice allowance (506).
NOTE: One on One (Instructor and student) lessons are permissible during the season of sport.

Back