So Cal Recruiting from 2010-2019

Justus

GOLD
2004-2010
Hi everyone, I wanted to share our families recruiting experience with all of you from 2010-2019. All of us has experienced girls youth soccer recruiting right? We all have stories to tell. Here is ours. I remember laying in bed with my wife with when my dd was in the womb. My wife and I would watch with amazement her feet kicking all the time. We would laugh because my son was the opposite. Super mellow, happy to be in the womb in a safe place by a mom who will love him so much that their best friends today. We would talk about how we thought she must be soccer player. You see, Grandpa came over to the states when he was 19 from Guatemala. He got a job delivering milk but also was a huge soccer fa and really good player. He coached local club soccer in Diamond Bar and coached the likes of Jim Edmonds. I think Jim played Football, Soccer and Baseball in High School. Gradpa is also a referee and has been doing refereeing for High School Soccer for over 30 years. The day before dd was born, we went to the Dr for last appointment. Everything looked great. Position of the head and all that. The next morning my wife's water burst and we were off to the hospital. I've been through this before I said to my self. Nurse comes in and does a check and says, "your breached mam." We both were shocked. That little stinker moved positions. Our great friend and Dr Lisa Johnson comes in and comes in says, "your going to have a baby in 45 minutes." Dr does her thing and dd comes out kicking and screaming and Dr says, "wow, I think you got a little soccer player." No joke. It's cool to look back sometimes. So we bounced around and ended up in Temecula 2008. I finally get to see how this little bundle of energy does on the u6 AYSO circuit. We were the "shooting stars." We were the league champs and pretty much won all the games. Grandpa and I would watch and he would say things like, "wow, she passes the ball." It was fun times. She loved little other girls score. She was really fast but we had that was even faster. After team party, the real fast girls mom told us good next season. I saw the mom because she helped coach the girls. I asked if they were moving and they said, "no, were doing club." I said, "oh." I asked my wife what club soccer was and she shared about how she grew up in club soccer and it was really tough to make. She said her dad will start his meeting with the parents like this: If you want play time promised, you need to stay in AYSO. I play who I want, where I want on the filed to play because I want to win. I'm the coach. Edmonds was all in and was told he was one of the best in the area. 3 sport athlete in High School I think. Every year he would have pissed off parents complaining about their boys not getting in the game. He would say, :Go to AYSO if you want play time. I want to win!!!!

2011-2012
So dad jumped on Google and typed, "club soccer Temecula." First ad, "Arsenal Rec League" I said to myself I've seem that logo before. I searched some more and low and behold it's one of the PL top soccer teams from England. I must say I was more in the Jim Rome school of thought back then about soccer not being a sport. I have also learned that is and I think Jim would agree. Soccer parent, now that is not a good term for any of us. So I take her down to sing up in the new rec league. As I'm filling out the forms, the gy says, "hey pops, can help with some extra time? I said sure, what are the needs. We need a coach. Oh no, not soccer coach I said. He assured all would be ok. I only played keeper in AYSO and a few coed games with Grandpa, my sister in law and my wife aboot that ball so far.o I didn't have the game figured out yet. Anyway, I take over and let's just say I think I got the last team formed. I had little CJ. This guy was classic. Super afrain of the ball. CJ love video games so I pulled the little guy over and said, "listen CJ, that ball is from outter space and we need to kicked out of here. Do you think you could help us CJ?" It was cool to see that little guy boot the hell every game after. I also had this little girl with special needs. Other coaches would look at me and tell me to get her under control. I soon found the dads who were there for all the wrong reason, to win. Anyway, we came in last place and at the end of the season got her first club inquiry from the Arsenal South Club that was just forming a new satellite location. I did some research and they were head courted in the IE. I thought it was strange but hey, a coach was interested I thought. Checked it out, met with the coach and we jumped into the arena of everything "SOCAL YOUTH SOCCER." The team worked hard and my little one played left back. She was fast so she could run and kick the ball away before it went into the goal. We went to Governors State Cup in Antelope Valley and lost all three games. We played a team from Legends South that I was impressed with. Mainly the coach and how she treated little girls. I boldly went up to her when I saw her in the parking lot. I asked where they were from and they said, Temecula. I was like, oh. She asked who my dd was She had very nice things to say about her. To this day she is by far the best coach for little girls I know. If you have her as a coach you are in good hands. Thank you JL for being "A GREAT COACH TO LITTLE GIRLS." She gave me the number of the coach for next years team and my dd got another incredible coach. TY for being so great with the little girls. Your father and you warned me of going too fast and I didn't heed the advice. Any way, we had a good little team. Girls making friends and the coaches providing heathy environment and all was good until...………..

U9-U10...…
Great times, but also a time of super crazy, knarly, competitive soccer dads and moms. I can't make fun of others if I can't make fun of myself. We were ALL CRAY CRAY but we had fun :) Surf Cup preditions, #1, #2 and of course the big State Cup tourneys. The GOAT times were so awesome. For me, I needed a freaking break from all the BS a lot of us dads were seeing going on. I think some of the DOCs had issues with some of us "Protective type dads" if you know what I mean. The "GOATS" were formed and to this day, the funniest times I had watching my dd play with other great unicorns from all over socal all there to "Just PLAY" the game.

U9-U10 continued...…
So like I said, we were in some serious competitive times. Legends had a North and a South team. I remember "the combo team from Legends" would enter a tournament and do really well. We would get slammed from all the competitive dads instead of them being fired up a top team was there to challenge the girls. Clubs were trying to earn market share in these times in what I now see is a big time business opportunity for some.
My dd and few other South Legends players decided to make the drive up north so people would stop making excuses if their team lost to us in a meaningless tournament....lol. I look back and have a few regrets. One, JH was right. We should have waited a couple more years. You were right JH for the reasons you said. Anyway, U10 was a very interesting year. This Grey hair old coach was coming to our games and taking notes. I asked a few folks who he was and they said, "That's the grand wizard of soccer." He's here scouting to form his next years U11 team for Socal Blues. Ok, now were getting into some big time soccer I thought. They had the best team as did Surf. Season went on and I soon got a call from Tad Bobak. His first question was, "do you have a piece of paper to take notes," I aid yes, but I need to confess I was lying. He went on for an hour or so and we talked about the 4 areas of a great soccer player. I got off the phone and spoke to my wife. We went to Google and typed in his name. Head Coach at UCSB, Founded OC Blues with LD. Founded ODP. Head Coach of the first U15 national team EVER!!!!. Our family was honored that someone like him thought my dd had potential. Well, word gets out were bailing to Blues after State Cup. The pressure to stay is tough though. Saying good bye to JL came with tears. It was by far the hardest decision my dd had to make. I did not make this decision, she did. She did because she had a dream to one day play on the NATIONAL TEAM. When you leave a soccer team, the new team is so loving and welcoming. The old team and club just lost a good player, great teammate and leader and there not happy about it and that is understandable. It's hard on all involved. I must say playing the State Cup QF and losing to the Lightning in OT is still one of the all time classics. Those dads down there love their girls and we had it out in that game. So fun and pure too. 808 still talks about it :)

U11...…….
More on the call with Tad Bobak. He also stated at the very beginning of the call that he has a policy that he will never talk about another player, parent or anther club or coach. I tried to "fish" for info about who else was going to make his new U11 team. I couldn't get it out of him as hard as I tried. A man of great character. He also said after each season he makes cuts and bring in new players each year. So we started the drive two days a week from Temecula to "The Ranch." I heard it all. "crazy dad driving to OC from Temecula with an 11 year old." It was different type of practice as well. Other clubs warned me that all he does is PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY. Sounded good to my dd and me, just saying. It was awesome and some of my best memories for me and my dd. We worked hard and won State Cup. My dd got the winning goal in OT in the QF to set a big semi match with Surf. I was overjoyed for my dd and her team. Smallest on the team and not the strongest kicker either. But she did have something in her that wanted to win and she nailed one at the right time. Surf Soccer Club was the best according to my dd at possession and when I watched them I couldn't deny that. It seemed a debate was going on that time about playing a more possession style game vs direct style or how some would say "Kick Ball." My dd was fast and quick but more than that had a hunger to win. When it was a tight game or a goal was needed, it wasn't uncommon to hear the people say, get it to my dd. I'm not bragging, its the truth. I had dad proud moments but my dd hated it because she felt it was a TEAM GAME and she wanted to be just one of the girls on the team. We played Surf and my dd had the game of her life at the time. Scored first two goals and we won and went onto the finals where we won tough one in the rain against Slammers. It was so awesome. Everything seemed like it was going as planned. However, sometimes life can throw challenges at you that you have no control of and fear sets in because you don't know what to do. That is the beginning of the next chapter of my dd recruiting in SOCAL YOUTH SOCCER.

U12...………..
US SOCCER FEDERATION announced without consulting with the parents (the customers), this new birth year change. This change had a HUGE impact on YOUTH CLUB SOCCER ACCROSS AMERICA and more important to this dad, his dd rights to EQUAL OPPORTUNITY TO BE SCOUTED BY ALL US SOCCER SCOUTS. I have also witnessed the social destruction it is causing with school age students not playing soccer with their peers. Can't you see this? It's NOT HEALTHY AND SHOULD NEVER BE THE REASON TO PULL A BAND Aid out TO EARLY. WHY THE RUSH? You learn from experience, right? So I call coach Tad and ask about what team he's taking, 03 or 04? He says 03'. How do you think my dd and I took that news? Also, Tad had a long held policy not to let parents know until after the season was over if your dd make the team. I kept asking and I kept getting the same answer, you have to wait. I felt panicked and confused. She was small and Tad's practices were very physical. We started getting calls from other clubs because of the age change...…….

One of the greatest things Tad ever said to me was that "Acacia was born to play soccer." Now as one with a big ego, I took that like she was going to be the next "One." But after all this time, I realized what he was saying. My dd was born to play the game, not to be the best or make some list. Playing the game she loves with her friends to this day :)

U13-U14...……
All I can say is you wouldn't believe it if I said it, so I'll leave it all to your imagination and your own perceptions. I wanted to start a discussion. I'm sorry for coming on here but I felt like I had to say something and get some answers I've had for the last two years. I hope things can get better for everyone with young girls who have dreams to one day play for her National Team. Go USA forever and always know we will always root for all things USA!!!!

Keep going. This was good to read.
ok, I will. I remember Tad Bobak telling me it's very disruptive to add players to the roster mid season. My dd never did that before so I put that one in my Tad vault in my brain. I have lot's of them still. I also have one from a really great dad on that team who tried to warn me and guide me to slow down and let the process finish itself out. Imagine a 11 year old with a dream driving 1 hr and 10 minutes each way to practice two days a week for two years? Where I come from you follow your dreams. True friends and family support that dream until it becomes a reality, either way. Let the kid be the one to decide when to hang that one up and go for something else, like another dream. I'm still shocked at how much I get ridiculed for asking a few questions from 201602017. My dd was flying high. The stats are all there and the accomplishments. Plus in Also because just about every DOC told us that scouts were watching her and she needed to get into the TC. She was also the leading scorer at Far West Regionals. The year before that SJ was top scorer. Look at the goal she got in first game. Her goal was a miracle that 100% got us through to the finals. It was huge!!! And let me say this, Acacia was not the "best" one on that team. She was needed on that team if you know what I mean for different reasons. A true spark plug like her old man back in the days of all things high school sports :) She help lead them with others to win together. Every girl on that team and every girl that plays soccer in the USA needs their dream looked at. Only ONE coach told me he can't answer that dream until she's grown and matured to her full potential has been reached and that was Tad. Her dream was so real that my wife and her saved some money so they can go to Vancouver in person and root for her country. I think that's a dreamer right there.

At the very least couldn't she have gotten one lousy waiver so she can play both HS Soccer with her new friends and the DA? She wanted to do both and that's my issue because she deserves it

U13-U14 Transfer of teams. TB be was 100% right and I got smacked in the face hard with. I learned that the team you leave is not happy and then the team you join is not really happy except maybe a few and DOC. Lot's of tention you think? Poor girls have to go through is not good for the young ones. TEAM first. I know my kid was not the only highly sought after player in this unique time no one else has gone through like these kids. So you can't speak on it. Birth year change, DA and No HS Soccer all in 2 years. Just writing this makes me feel bad for the kids. I know many coaches, parents and all things soccer have labeled us club hoper and I guess we are. You tend to piss some people off and I want to 100% apologize for that disruption we caused. My wife and I see all her uniforms and we think of all the fun games she has played since she was 5.

At the very least couldn't she have gotten one lousy waiver so she can play both HS Soccer with her new friends and the DA? She wanted to do both and that's my issue because she deserves it
Just curious......Why do you think she deserves it? Interesting choice of words.

Back