Santa Monica Surf

Most DA teams are still on break during Surf Cup. Don’t use that as a barometer especially k. The case of LA Surf as they are 100% a new team at many age groups.

Very true about DA. But what DA age groups are 100% new teams at L A Surf? I might be wrong but I thought that apart from the girls 2004 they were all existing teams with the same coaches the girls had before?

Very true about DA. But what DA age groups are 100% new teams at L A Surf? I might be wrong but I thought that apart from the girls 2004 they were all existing teams with the same coaches the girls had before?
. Sorry...I was silo’d on ‘04’s maybe someone can chime in for further clarity.

You're not wrong, hence why @cheaper2keeper was happy with the 05s before and is still happy with the 05s now. They have a good coach, team, and chemistry on that squad.

I don't know, maybe a bigger club can attract better coaches, or provide more continuing education and licensing opportunities to coaches, or hire a dedicated goalkeeper coach, or get access to better fields, or attract college coaches to events, or attract ODP scouts, or raise the competitive level of the teams through recruiting or more competitive training sessions, or attract sponsors, or provide more scholarships to players?

Stop drinking the koolaide, none of that happens. We’ve gone from IE Surf West, to SGV Surf, to LA Surf, and everything is still the same. We have added a few girls since changing to LA Surf, but I don’t believe our “Surf” name had anything to do with them joining us. There has never been any active communication with other LA Surf teams in terms of loaning our players or giving them a look for DA or what have you.

The only potential benefit is Surf Cup and it’s related tournaments, but with so many flights and teams getting in, you’d privet in anyway. And even if you didn’t, there’s always Silverlakes, which is on par with anything Surf offers.

Stop drinking the koolaide, none of that happens. We’ve gone from IE Surf West, to SGV Surf, to LA Surf, and everything is still the same. We have added a few girls since changing to LA Surf, but I don’t believe our “Surf” name had anything to do with them joining us. There has never been any active communication with other LA Surf teams in terms of loaning our players or giving them a look for DA or what have you.

The only potential benefit is Surf Cup and it’s related tournaments, but with so many flights and teams getting in, you’d privet in anyway. And even if you didn’t, there’s always Silverlakes, which is on par with anything Surf offers.

“you’d probably get in anyway”

If you look on the LA Surf site you see tryouts for Covina..(SGV Surf..pre-existing before LA Surf was born..the OG's for Surf in LA County). Then there's Pomona..(this would be Soltilo FC's area if I'm not mistaken..***NOBODY has mentioned this club under LA Surf yet either*** Next you have San Marino..former SoCal Academy and Crown City United stomping grounds. You also have tryouts "coming soon" to Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, and Pasadena. Those were all former LA Premier areas if I'm not mistaken. Being the end of August the site probably hasn't been updated and is irrelevant at this point. But at least you can see how big LA Surf has become. Where is the line drawn between "partner" and "affiliate?"
It’s one thing for a big-name club to open up a new “chapter” somewhere that they currently don’t have a foothold in. It’s a different story to “annex” a bunch of local clubs..selling parents on the "opportunities, development, etc." Sounds to me more like as Robin Leach said..”Champagne dreams and caviar wishes” for but a select few. The rest are on a beer budget and are no better or worse (hopefully not) than before they made a switch.

But then again..name one club that hasn't used that marketing ploy to generate more business. You show me one..and I'll show you a club that is now defunct and operating under a new name such as Surf, Strikers, Slammers, Legends, et al

If you look on the LA Surf site you see tryouts for Covina..(SGV Surf..pre-existing before LA Surf was born..the OG's for Surf in LA County). Then there's Pomona..(this would be Soltilo FC's area if I'm not mistaken..***NOBODY has mentioned this club under LA Surf yet either*** Next you have San Marino..former SoCal Academy and Crown City United stomping grounds. You also have tryouts "coming soon" to Sherman Oaks, Hollywood, and Pasadena. Those were all former LA Premier areas if I'm not mistaken. Being the end of August the site probably hasn't been updated and is irrelevant at this point. But at least you can see how big LA Surf has become. Where is the line drawn between "partner" and "affiliate?"
It’s one thing for a big-name club to open up a new “chapter” somewhere that they currently don’t have a foothold in. It’s a different story to “annex” a bunch of local clubs..selling parents on the "opportunities, development, etc." Sounds to me more like as Robin Leach said..”Champagne dreams and caviar wishes” for but a select few. The rest are on a beer budget and are no better or worse (hopefully not) than before they made a switch.

But then again..name one club that hasn't used that marketing ploy to generate more business. You show me one..and I'll show you a club that is now defunct and operating under a new name such as Surf, Strikers, Slammers, Legends, et al
I remember like it was yesterday when Surf had BIG decision to make, DA or ECNL. Amazing what Surf has become with that BIG decision. Imagine if they said no to DA and all in with ECNL? Good for them and for all the parents and kids looking for Big Club help :) The two big leagues are starting. Good luck to everyone out on the pitch this season. So much strife and division this year. Should make for a great season of whose team is truly #1 in the 04' age. I think we all would agree #1 goes to MLVA based on head to head the last year or so. Others looking to be #1 are the Earthquakes, Michigan Hawks, Crossfire or Tophat? I will put my money on LA Surf to win it all in 2021.

From LA Surf Website. This is going to be the #1 club in SoCal folks. FREE soccer and a opportunity to be scouted by the US Scouts. I know not everyone is getting FREE, but many are.

Are scholarships available?

National team players will receive full scholarships from the club (10-12 year old's with a dream). Other scholarships are available based upon merit & need. The club is always creating ways to make soccer more affordable and has lots of fundraising opportunities available throughout the season in which families can participate to help off-set travel expenses. In addition, the club is always actively seeking for sponsors who can financially help the teams’ travel expenses.

How do Development Academy players get exposure to US National Teams?

US Soccer Training Centers are sessions that are hosted every few months in various locations in Southern California where National Team coaches train & identify players. US Soccer Training Centers will replace ODP (USYS) sessions and zero costs are associated for players who are invited to attend these sessions. US Soccer scouts attend the majority of divisional games to identify players for National team camps & US Training centers. On average, about 10-12 Surf Soccer Development Academy players are invited to attend the US Training Centers.

From LA Surf Website. This is going to be the #1 club in SoCal folks. FREE soccer and a opportunity to be scouted by the US Scouts. I know not everyone is getting FREE, but many are.

National team players will receive full scholarships from the club (10-12 year old's with a dream). Other scholarships are available based upon merit & need. The club is always creating ways to make soccer more affordable and has lots of fundraising opportunities available throughout the season in which families can participate to help off-set travel expenses. In addition, the club is always actively seeking for sponsors who can financially help the teams’ travel expenses.

How do Development Academy players get exposure to US National Teams?

US Soccer Training Centers are sessions that are hosted every few months in various locations in Southern California where National Team coaches train & identify players. US Soccer Training Centers will replace ODP (USYS) sessions and zero costs are associated for players who are invited to attend these sessions. US Soccer scouts attend the majority of divisional games to identify players for National team camps & US Training centers. On average, about 10-12 Surf Soccer Development Academy players are invited to attend the US Training Centers.
I would like to be the 1st to congratulate @Justus on his new position as Surf Director of Marketing and Kool-Aid Mixologist...

I remember like it was yesterday when Surf had BIG decision to make, DA or ECNL. Amazing what Surf has become with that BIG decision. Imagine if they said no to DA and all in with ECNL? Good for them and for all the parents and kids looking for Big Club help :) The two big leagues are starting. Good luck to everyone out on the pitch this season. So much strife and division this year. Should make for a great season of whose team is truly #1 in the 04' age. I think we all would agree #1 goes to MLVA based on head to head the last year or so. Others looking to be #1 are the Earthquakes, Michigan Hawks, Crossfire or Tophat? I will put my money on LA Surf to win it all in 2021.

All joking aside it will be interesting to see if the move to rebranding and recruiting as LA Surf improves perfomances in the GDA this upcoming season as LA Premier really struggled. As you said the big two leagues roll into action in less than two weeks so we don't have to wait long. Good luck to all!

More from my koolaide marketing analysis from the LA Surf website. This is all FREE to the talented, young Unicorns all over LA. The club used to be called SD Surf Soccer, now it's called Surf Soccer.
What about college exposure?
Surf Soccer Development Academy players (all the little affiliate unicorns will be trying to get into LA Surf because it's FREE and worth the drive because it's FREE!!!) undoubtedly receive the best college exposure of any club in the country with 2 Surf Cup events (Surf Cup in July & Surf College Cup in November), 2 US Soccer Development Academy Showcase events and attendance of many Southern California college coaches at divisional conference games. The club has a college liaison in place to assist all Academy players with the college process.
Surf Soccer has a great reputation all over the nation for producing high-level players. For the second straight year (and every year from now on), the club has won the IMG Top 150 girls recruiting title. This coupled with being part of the USSF Development Academy program will certainly help players to pursue their college dreams and make them a reality.

I'm really confused with this last part. Is it a college dream or Youth National Team dream? I guess the DA can promote both but mock one of them for their rules and how it's messing up the National Team. "Divide and then Conquer." The Big Club has it all. Direct access to the Scouts, #1 for all the college deals and it's all FREE to the talented unicorns. You can't lose with all this can you? You can, trust me. The Big Club is like "THE FIRM" in the movie with Mr Cruise. If The Big Club has all the connections to the scouts, relationships with all the coaches, college liaison coach to chat it up for your dd and be on the cutting edge of anything that has to do with SoCal Youth Soccer, you best keep your mouth shut and never leave more than once. I personally think people in this industry have way too much power and influence with our kids lives. If you speak out on serious issues regarding children who have dope heads for coaches, you get labeled quickly in this industry. Not all Youth Soccer Coaches are worthy of such influence in my kids life. Good luck to everyone this coming season :)

More from my koolaide marketing analysis from the LA Surf website. This is all FREE to the talented, young Unicorns all over LA. The club used to be called SD Surf Soccer, now it's called Surf Soccer.
Surf Soccer Development Academy players (all the little affiliate unicorns will be trying to get into LA Surf because it's FREE and worth the drive because it's FREE!!!) undoubtedly receive the best college exposure of any club in the country with 2 Surf Cup events (Surf Cup in July & Surf College Cup in November), 2 US Soccer Development Academy Showcase events and attendance of many Southern California college coaches at divisional conference games. The club has a college liaison in place to assist all Academy players with the college process.
Surf Soccer has a great reputation all over the nation for producing high-level players. For the second straight year (and every year from now on), the club has won the IMG Top 150 girls recruiting title. This coupled with being part of the USSF Development Academy program will certainly help players to pursue their college dreams and make them a reality.

I'm really confused with this last part. Is it a college dream or Youth National Team dream? I guess the DA can promote both but mock one of them for their rules and how it's messing up the National Team. "Divide and then Conquer." The Big Club has it all. Direct access to the Scouts, #1 for all the college deals and it's all FREE to the talented unicorns. You can't lose with all this can you? You can, trust me. The Big Club is like "THE FIRM" in the movie with Mr Cruise. If The Big Club has all the connections to the scouts, relationships with all the coaches, college liaison coach to chat it up for your dd and be on the cutting edge of anything that has to do with SoCal Youth Soccer, you best keep your mouth shut and never leave more than once. I personally think people in this industry have way too much power and influence with our kids lives. If you speak out on serious issues regarding children who have dope heads for coaches, you get labeled quickly in this industry. Not all Youth Soccer Coaches are worthy of such influence in my kids life. Good luck to everyone this coming season :)

It should say, for those too lazy to do the research and do it on their own, the problem is, some of the parents will buy into this and think they can sit back and just get recruited...I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more disappointed players & parents

It should say, for those too lazy to do the research and do it on their own, the problem is, some of the parents will buy into this and think they can sit back and just get recruited...I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more disappointed players & parents
At least they have a website with all the benefits one receives in the program unlike two years ago. It looks like a great opportunity on face value and its FREE :)

This thread is about Santa Monica Surf. If you want to bitch/moan/complain about DA go back to one of the threads you created.

What’s free? surf doesn’t charge for DA or their Club teams?

National team players will receive full scholarships from the club
(another reason to want to make the list). Other scholarships are available based upon merit & need. The club is always creating ways to make soccer more affordable and has lots of fundraising opportunities available throughout the season in which families can participate to help off-set travel expenses. In addition, the club is always actively seeking for sponsors who can financially help the teams’ travel expenses. (Sponsor is interesting use of words for travel help)

I'm talking about top players who will receive full scholarships (beginning at 11-13 years old) being recruited to join Surf DA. It's a no brainer. I actually like it but personally wish it was the US Soccer Federation offering the free ride and not Surf. When you get something for free it's not always free if you know what I mean. My guess is 9-12 full rides and the rest are paying because they can, they want to and their looking at the DA to help dd get into their dream college. A college they have no problem paying for but need to get admitted. I remember back in the day playing HS Hoops in OC and you would occasionally see a stud basketball player leave their local HS (Tom Lewis Capo Valley) and head over to Mater Dei. I don't think Tom paid for tuition but I could be wrong. I see Surf like the private school with deep pockets poaching top local talent from local clubs and offering those kids full scholarships. Everything paid for. What club in SoCal can compete with that? Q. Kicker, does Beach DA offer full rides to top talent based on merit or making YNT? Anyone else here getting a full ride playing in the DA? When I say full ride, I mean 100% everything paid for. I'm hearing top unicorns are getting a per diem as well when traveling.

Q. Kicker, does Beach DA offer full rides to top talent based on merit or making YNT? Anyone else here getting a full ride playing in the DA? When I say full ride, I mean 100% everything paid for. I'm hearing top unicorns are getting a per diem as well when traveling.
No!

View attachment 5273
Doubtful...Beach is not a recruiting based club they want players that want to be there. Those that do come, come for the staff not the free ride.
I love that. Blues is the same. LA is loaded with talent. Those with financial struggles (check to check) will benefit with the Full Scholarship. I was told 2 years ago that these DA clubs would be fully funded with money coming from US Federation. Is that not happening? A decision that is left up to the individual DA club?

Back