San Diego HS 2018-2019

Any good games so far? Girls? Boys? Rankings? What's happening this year in San Diego. San Marcos could be good, San Pasqual??

Too early to tell who will be good. I see some teams that suck in December and are red hot in February and ones that hare hit in December but stagnate and are just average in February.

Everything changes once grades come out at the end of the semester.
End of semester?

I don’t know how often ours checks but there are at least 3 (2 frosh, 1 JV) booted due to underperforming GPA.

I now understand why the coaches select 20-22 kids per team (frosh, JV, Varsity). We’ve lost 5 that I know of (3 grades, 2 conduct detrimental) before the “season” has started and there may be more.

The boys varsity Westview vs Poway game initially showed on Max Preps as a 3-0 Westview win and was changed to a Westview loss by forfeit. I am assuming some type of player ineligibility. Does anyone know what happened to cause the forfeit?

Too early to tell who will be good. I see some teams that suck in December and are red hot in February and ones that hare hit in December but stagnate and are just average in February.

At this point in the season there are real big surprises. The only surprises I have seen are in the Grossmont Hills league. Grossmont who is normally near the bottom of the bracket is in first place and having a good season and playing some good soccer, while Steele Canyon who is normally in first is in dead last and having an off season. Bishops girls are doing better than I expected. OLP looked really good when I saw them and they are #1 in the Max Prep power rankings. Scripps Ranch boys looked good when I saw them. After a horrible season last year Coronado girls seem to have turned it around and are having a winning season. LJCD boys looked good and played a physical game.

The boys varsity Westview vs Poway game initially showed on Max Preps as a 3-0 Westview win and was changed to a Westview loss by forfeit. I am assuming some type of player ineligibility. Does anyone know what happened to cause the forfeit?

Poway is not having an outstanding year, but the forfeit that wiped out Westview's win put them in first place in Palomar League. Tonight Westview lost to Del Norte, perhaps suffering from loss of key players(?).

Poway is not having an outstanding year, but the forfeit that wiped out Westview's win put them in first place in Palomar League. Tonight Westview lost to Del Norte, perhaps suffering from loss of key players(?).

Looking as little more broadly at the CIF-SDS Power Rankings, as things stand now, this could be the first year since the Open Division playoffs were created 5 or 6 years ago that there will not be a Palomar League team in the bracket.

Every year, the Section assigns teams to a Division depending on a 5-year weighted average (most recent years count more heavily) of their Power Rankings. The Power Rankings combine a team's WLT record and strength of schedule (calculated from the opponent's Division and WLT record) - details here: http://www.cifsds.org/power-rankings.html

Each game is worth from 34 points (loss to a D5 team with less than 25% WLT record) to 50 points (win over a D1 team with greater than 75% WLT record). Each game is assigned points, and those points can fluctuate as the season progresses depending on how the opponents are doing. At the end of the season, teams are seeded according to their average points per game. In most divisions, 12 out of the 20 or so teams get into the Division playoff bracket. In Division 1, things are a little different - 20 teams are assigned to the Division at the start of the season, then the top 8 at the end are placed in the Open Bracket and the remaining 12 in the D1 bracket.

As things stand now, Torrey Pines is leading D1 with 46.69 points, and Point Loma is #8 with 44.44 points. The Palomar League teams in D1 (and thus potentially in the Open playoffs) are Del Norte (#12, 44.00), Poway (#13, 43.86), Westview (#16, 43.74), and Rancho Bernardo (#18, 42.87). The remaining Palomar League team is Mt. Carmel in D3.

Social media gets player suspended. I heard an interesting HS story yesterday from a club coach. Girls varsity game between Granite Hills and Steele Canyon which Granite won 2-1. A Granite player punched a Steele player in the face when the refs were looking in the other direction. The Granite player posted on Snapchat a video of her punching the player along with a derogatory comment. Evidently some of the Steele players saw it, showed the coach who turned it into CIF. Granite girl got a 6 game suspension. Two lessons players should learn (1) don’t punch other players (2) if you do punch another player, don’t post video of it on social media.

Social media gets player suspended. I heard an interesting HS story yesterday from a club coach. Girls varsity game between Granite Hills and Steele Canyon which Granite won 2-1. A Granite player punched a Steele player in the face when the refs were looking in the other direction. The Granite player posted on Snapchat a video of her punching the player along with a derogatory comment. Evidently some of the Steele players saw it, showed the coach who turned it into CIF. Granite girl got a 6 game suspension. Two lessons players should learn (1) don’t punch other players (2) if you do punch another player, don’t post video of it on social media.
So damn foolish!! Granite’s leading scorer as well. Six games pretty much ends it for this young lady and could hurt her team’s chances going forward.

Foolish?! Is this how we teach/expect our kids to play? Sorry, but I think it should hurt her and her team's chances in the future. There is just no need for this. Soccer is a beautiful sport. Why teach this kind of crap.

Foolish?! Is this how we teach/expect our kids to play? Sorry, but I think it should hurt her and her team's chances in the future. There is just no need for this. Soccer is a beautiful sport. Why teach this kind of crap.
Don’t get me wrong. Throwing the punch was idiotic and inexcusable on her part. It’s certainly something that this HS coach does not condone. However, from what I understand, no foul was called. So, foolish comment, is in reference to the social media post that got her rightfully reprimanded. I hate dirty play and dirty players. She got what she deserves. IMO

I doubt any coach taught her to hit other players. I know the Granite coach and he would never teach or condone that type of behavior. It was more than likely a learned behavior from her parents.

Looking as little more broadly at the CIF-SDS Power Rankings, as things stand now, this could be the first year since the Open Division playoffs were created 5 or 6 years ago that there will not be a Palomar League team in the bracket.

Every year, the Section assigns teams to a Division depending on a 5-year weighted average (most recent years count more heavily) of their Power Rankings. The Power Rankings combine a team's WLT record and strength of schedule (calculated from the opponent's Division and WLT record) - details here: http://www.cifsds.org/power-rankings.html

Each game is worth from 34 points (loss to a D5 team with less than 25% WLT record) to 50 points (win over a D1 team with greater than 75% WLT record). Each game is assigned points, and those points can fluctuate as the season progresses depending on how the opponents are doing. At the end of the season, teams are seeded according to their average points per game. In most divisions, 12 out of the 20 or so teams get into the Division playoff bracket. In Division 1, things are a little different - 20 teams are assigned to the Division at the start of the season, then the top 8 at the end are placed in the Open Bracket and the remaining 12 in the D1 bracket.

As things stand now, Torrey Pines is leading D1 with 46.69 points, and Point Loma is #8 with 44.44 points. The Palomar League teams in D1 (and thus potentially in the Open playoffs) are Del Norte (#12, 44.00), Poway (#13, 43.86), Westview (#16, 43.74), and Rancho Bernardo (#18, 42.87). The remaining Palomar League team is Mt. Carmel in D3.

I should have noted that this is the first time since I have been watching that all Palomar League teams are from the Poway Unified School District. I still think that the best arrangement was the way it was when my kids started playing HS soccer - Poway, RB, Mt. Carmel, Westview, Torrey Pines, and La Costa Canyon. Things get rearranged every few years, and teams from Ramona to Carlsbad have been league members at one time or another, including also Rancho Buena Vista, Vista, El Camino, Mission Vista, and Canyon Crest.

Don’t get me wrong. Throwing the punch was idiotic and inexcusable on her part. It’s certainly something that this HS coach does not condone. However, from what I understand, no foul was called. So, foolish comment, is in reference to the social media post that got her rightfully reprimanded. I hate dirty play and dirty players. She got what she deserves. IMO
I think she should have some academic (suspension) and possibly criminal consequences (assault) as well.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a foul was actually called against Steele's player for holding the Granite player - the refs obviously did not see the Granite player throw the punch. From what I was told the Granite player who threw the punch had been pulled on, tugged on, scratched all over her arms, etc. throughout the game. I saw the video and the the Steele player was holding the Granite player's arm behind her, and from what I was told I think the Granite player just reached her breaking point. Disclaimer - I'm in no way condoning her throwing the punch, just relaying the facts as they were stated to me. I don't know about the Granite player's social media posting, but I do know a Steele parent posted the video after the game (along with another video that he believed to be a foul, but I think it was a clean slide tackle) on social media and several posters encouraged him to turn the footage in to the school. I don't know if he did or not I just know I saw his post on social media after the game.

I was not trying to have this “punch” blow up into a big thing. I was just curious if the story I was told was true, because both coaches are very respected and have teams that play a clean game. Since Steele has won league almost every year for the past 10 years, they do have a target on their backs and other league teams step it up when playing them.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a foul was actually called against Steele's player for holding the Granite player - the refs obviously did not see the Granite player throw the punch. From what I was told the Granite player who threw the punch had been pulled on, tugged on, scratched all over her arms, etc. throughout the game. I saw the video and the the Steele player was holding the Granite player's arm behind her, and from what I was told I think the Granite player just reached her breaking point. Disclaimer - I'm in no way condoning her throwing the punch, just relaying the facts as they were stated to me. I don't know about the Granite player's social media posting, but I do know a Steele parent posted the video after the game (along with another video that he believed to be a foul, but I think it was a clean slide tackle) on social media and several posters encouraged him to turn the footage in to the school. I don't know if he did or not I just know I saw his post on social media after the game.

Do you have a link to the videos?

Back