Ref Questions

Can someone answer this question for me please, how can a ref allow player to play with a cast on there arm, and wrap it with bubble wrap. o_O

Can someone answer this question for me please, how can a ref allow player to play with a cast on there arm, and wrap it with bubble wrap. o_O

Do you really mean "how" (he says OK) or are you asking "is he allowed to do that?" (yes, and more likely to allow it as kids get older)?

Some gaming circuits do not allow hard casts even if bubble wrapped. They can still be used as clubs.

From a parenting standpoint, it depends on what your doctor says.

Concur with the above comments for club soccer. Note that HS rules prohibit playing with a hard or unyielding cast unless its covered by at least 1/2" of closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding. The few times I've needed to inspect a wrapped cast at a HS game I've only seen bubble-wrap or foam padding of the open-cell, fast-recovery type.

My thoughts are that if a doctor wants a hard cast to stabilize or protect my child's injury then I don't think it prudent for me to let them play a contact sport subject to player falls which could aggravate the injury or set back recovery.

As long as the gaming circuit allows it, I will let them play. A properly wrapped cast of the forearm is a lot softer than just straight skin and bone of the forearm. I recently allowed a G12 player to play with a waterproof sports cast just wrapped in some pre-wrap with a nylon sleeve over it. It was definitely softer than skin covered Radius and Ulna bones. CSL is the only league I know of, bless their rules changed, that says absolutely no casts.

Pennstate4, hopefully you were not the crazy mom that was yelling at me, “Ref, that girl can’t play with a cast on. Kick her off the field.” The couch told her to be quiet.

CSL rule: J. No player may wear a hard/plaster cast in any CSL Gaming Circuit game. Whether a player may wear a knee brace, or any other type of brace, or not, will be up to the sole discretion of the referee on the field, who will be able to determine the safety of the brace. The referee’s decision is final and may not be appealed.

CSL rule: J. No player may wear a hard/plaster cast in any CSL Gaming Circuit game. Whether a player may wear a knee brace, or any other type of brace, or not, will be up to the sole discretion of the referee on the field, who will be able to determine the safety of the brace. The referee’s decision is final and may not be appealed.
CSL is the only competitive league that I know of that has the antiquated no hard cast rule. Really dumb rule in my opinion. It is really easy to pad the cast so it is safer than a bare arm.

Most leagues follow the LOTG. Law 4 says “A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous.”. So, if a ref decides any cast or brace (hard or soft or covered, etc) is dangerous, they don’t play. It is entirely possible that any ref could include/exclude a player with a cast.

Personally I don’t think they should be allowed. My G03 GK had a pretty hard 1v1 collision with a striker on a thru ball. They both went down pretty hard. My kid got up..dusted herself off and got ready to keep playing. The other girl took a minute to get up and ended up subbing out due to a minor tweak to her leg (ended up coming back in later to play.) She also does Tae Kwon Do. She said it felt like getting hit in the face with a glove with just a bit more padding, and that she definitely felt it. Adding she would've rather been hit with a bare forearm. She's used to those and they don't seem to carry as much mass behind them according to her. My .02

My daughter broke her wrist a couple years ago so I bought her one of these: https://thecastprotector.com/. Before each game the ref would inspect and decide whether to not to allow it. Fortunately she was allowed to play in every game (all the way through state cup). Best thing I ever bought. She broke her other wrist the next year, and one of her teammates and a couple friends on other teams broke their wrists and borrowed her cast protector. I got a lot of use out of it!

My daughter broke her wrist a couple years ago so I bought her one of these: https://thecastprotector.com/. Before each game the ref would inspect and decide whether to not to allow it. Fortunately she was allowed to play in every game (all the way through state cup). Best thing I ever bought. She broke her other wrist the next year, and one of her teammates and a couple friends on other teams broke their wrists and borrowed her cast protector. I got a lot of use out of it!

My 05 son broke his wrist last season and we also bought him the cast protector. Before every game the Refs inspected it and he was allowed to play. He was warned that he could not use it against a player, and he never did. It worked out fine.

My 05 son broke his wrist last season and we also bought him the cast protector. Before every game the Refs inspected it and he was allowed to play. He was warned that he could not use it against a player, and he never did. It worked out fine.
Thank You for the info

Back