Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

I also haven't heard of any woman's soccer program paying for an official "recruiting" visit except in the case that you mentioned, bringing all of the commits together during their senior year. If anyone has had a different experience I would like to hear about it.

One of my players went on THREE in 2010. All were paid including airfare. She didn't commit until December of her senior year so yes, it does happen.

I remember for years seeing parents and players U10-U13 wearing Stanford, North Carolina, UCLA, USC, Virginia, and whoever else was one of the top teams in the country. I always said during those ages if you asked a parent or player where do you plan on going to school? Almost all said a top 10 program. It's no wonder every year when our daughters get to HS age and start the recruiting process parents and players are I'll prepared for the reality of how difficult it is to play women's college socccer, only 9% make it and only 2% make a D1 school. So if your daughter is one of the 9% who play college soccer or the 2% that plays D1 congrats on an incredible accomplishment and if your daughter is one of the 91% that don't make it for whatever reasons injury, burn out, or never got recruited you are in the overwhelming majority. http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

I remember for years seeing parents and players U10-U13 wearing Stanford, North Carolina, UCLA, USC, Virginia, and whoever else was one of the top teams in the country. I always said during those ages if you asked a parent or player where do you plan on going to school? Almost all said a top 10 program. It's no wonder every year when our daughters get to HS age and start the recruiting process parents and players are I'll prepared for the reality of how difficult it is to play women's college socccer, only 9% make it and only 2% make a D1 school. So if your daughter is one of the 9% who play college soccer or the 2% that plays D1 congrats on an incredible accomplishment and if your daughter is one of the 91% that don't make it for whatever reasons injury, burn out, or never got recruited you are in the overwhelming majority. http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
I wonder what the percentages/ratios are for getting recruited to play for a Power 5 conference program? Less than 1%?

I wonder what the percentages/ratios are for getting recruited to play for a Power 5 conference program? Less than 1%?

Even among the Power 5 conferences, only a few of those teams are actually competing for an NCAA championship. You can determine the numerator for this group without needing a calculator. It is a meaningful denominator that is hard to figure to try to calculate any of these percentages.

"Power 5" is meaningless outside of football and basketball.
On the men’s side, perhaps. On the women’s soccer side, NCAA tourney and College Cup is dominated by Power 5. And the men’s football and basketball programs you mention provide the money, and Title XI provides the motivation and need, for these schools to spend top $ on coaching, facilities, travel and higher overall budgets for women’s athletic programs.

Most incorrect statement you’ve ever written. Power 5 conferences dominate the upper echelon of women’s soccer. Also, the revenue generating sports help fund the other programs, as 2 Equis mentioned. Plus many P5 schools enjoy an elevated sense of school spirit.

Most incorrect statement you’ve ever written. Power 5 conferences dominate the upper echelon of women’s soccer. Also, the revenue generating sports help fund the other programs, as 2 Equis mentioned. Plus many P5 schools enjoy an elevated sense of school spirit.

Is that an NC State logo I see by your name?

Power 5 conferences all pay total cost on their scholarships to athletes. This is anywhere between $4k to $6k prorated based on the percent scholarship above what most other schools pay out. On the plus side I recently learned my dd's future college is going to pay total cost to all athletes starting next year.

Power 5 conferences all pay total cost on their scholarships to athletes. This is anywhere between $4k to $6k prorated based on the percent scholarship above what most other schools pay out. On the plus side I recently learned my dd's future college is going to pay total cost to all athletes starting next year.

Do you mean to say that all athletes will receive total cost of attendance? Or, the overall value of a full ride will get to cost of attendance and in following the value of any percentage scholarship will increase?

Are they ignoring the NCAA scholarship limits?

Power 5 conferences offer things that the other conferences cannot match, regardless of the sport. For example, scholarships for Power 5 conferences in any sport are guaranteed for 4 years. In other conferences, the scholarships are year to year and can be pulled at the end of the year. Also, Power 5 conferences now provide medical treatment to student-athletes for at least two years after they leave school. Power 5 is far from meaningless.

Are they ignoring the NCAA scholarship limits?

No. A few years ago the rules changed to allow colleges to offer total cost in addition to Tuition, Room, Board, Fees, and Books that they were previously allowed to offer. It was up to the schools on whether they implemented it. All Power 5 schools implemented it for all of their sport programs. If someone is on a 50% scholarship they get 50% of the total cost also. Other non Power 5 schools have not started to offer it to stay competitive in the recruiting process.

Power 5 conferences offer things that the other conferences cannot match, regardless of the sport. For example, scholarships for Power 5 conferences in any sport are guaranteed for 4 years. In other conferences, the scholarships are year to year and can be pulled at the end of the year. Also, Power 5 conferences now provide medical treatment to student-athletes for at least two years after they leave school. Power 5 is far from meaningless.

No non-power-5 schools offer this?

Not all power 5 schools do it. For w soccer some coaches don’t offer that extra cost of attendance money. Idk if they can then use it for other kids or what but a good friends dd was on a full ride at a pac -12 and was never offered the extra cost of attendance money. She is now at a non power 5 and has cost of attendance cash. (Some of the pac 12 schools are really hurting for money. There are some major issues on the horizon for schools out west here. Do some digging to read about the problems some pac 12 schools are facing).

And fwiw I know a few pac 12 coaches that will absolutely take someone’s money. Who knows if they label it “rule breaking” or what but kids who aren’t producing but have big money are dealt with. It still happens even with the 4 year guarantee.

Not all power 5 schools do it. For w soccer some coaches don’t offer that extra cost of attendance money. Idk if they can then use it for other kids or what but a good friends dd was on a full ride at a pac -12 and was never offered the extra cost of attendance money. She is now at a non power 5 and has cost of attendance cash. (Some of the pac 12 schools are really hurting for money. There are some major issues on the horizon for schools out west here. Do some digging to read about the problems some pac 12 schools are facing).

And fwiw I know a few pac 12 coaches that will absolutely take someone’s money. Who knows if they label it “rule breaking” or what but kids who aren’t producing but have big money are dealt with. It still happens even with the 4 year guarantee.
I don't doubt it. There are shitty people out there, and some of these shitty people are college coaches who don't live up to promises and are willing to break rules in order to look out for their own self-interest while, totally disregarding the interests of their student-athletes.

No. A few years ago the rules changed to allow colleges to offer total cost in addition to Tuition, Room, Board, Fees, and Books that they were previously allowed to offer. It was up to the schools on whether they implemented it. All Power 5 schools implemented it for all of their sport programs. If someone is on a 50% scholarship they get 50% of the total cost also. Other non Power 5 schools have not started to offer it to stay competitive in the recruiting process.

Are power 5 schools allowed to offer cost of attendance with any scholarship or is it automatic? How does scholarship level affect cost of attendance? Full scholarship equals full cost of attendance as calculated by financial aid office and then it’s prorated below that, or??

I don't doubt it. There are shitty people out there, and some of these shitty people are college coaches who don't live up to promises and are willing to break rules in order to look out for their own self-interest while, totally disregarding the interests of their student-athletes.

That's why the rule is stupid. The crap coaches that will take a kid's money will still take a kid's money. The ones with integrity will honor their word...whether or not there is a rule. And the rule hamstrings coaches with kids who get somewhere and then don't put in the work. Or decide soccer is just meh but want to keep their money so they just do the bare minimum and coast. Not at all how the real world works. And a detriment to the kids there busting their butts who want a good team. Year to year is fine. Most coaches won't pull money unless it's needed and the jerks that do it needlessly or callously are still going to do it. Solving a problem that doesn't exist and trying to regulate the small amount of asshats with a global rule. Lame.

No non-power-5 schools offer this?
Yes, there are plenty of non-power 5 schools that offer cost of attendance. COA is a little extra dough designated to cover expenses to live away from home. A player can be on a 25% ride and still get COA. Also, guaranteed scholarhsips are nice in the case of injury. I've heard of a few situations where coaches have made a non-contributing player's existence no fun at all. Some coaches have their ways of pushing players away. So yes, scholarhsip guaranteed, but quality of student athelete experience not.

Back