Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

My impression of USCD is they always recruited well because they were the strongest DII school academically in So Cal. Will that translate to DI? Even absent the playoff ban, I hadn't pegged them them as an NCAA tournament team right away.
Are they NCAA tournament banned?

I thought I read that they were not eligible for the first 4 years once accepted into D1 as a part of a probationary period thing.

Maybe you mean the same thing but since the post follows the coach thing, I didn't know if you think they are tied together in some way.

As for D2 being lesser competitive teams than D1, not true as a whole. I believe, like many do, top tier D2 programs are competitive against most D1 programs, except against the top D1 programs in soccer. Not the case of basketball or football though....

Are they NCAA tournament banned?

I thought I read that they were not eligible for the first 4 years once accepted into D1 as a part of a probationary period thing.

Maybe you mean the same thing but since the post follows the coach thing, I didn't know if you think they are tied together in some way.

As for D2 being lesser competitive teams than D1, not true as a whole. I believe, like many do, top tier D2 programs are competitive against most D1 programs, except against the top D1 programs in soccer. Not the case of basketball or football though....
I misunderstood. I thought the 4 year ban was part of the pizza money sanction, and would go into effect once they started in D1. But I see now what you are saying. They just aren't allowed to play in the D2 playoffs once word of their D1 acceptance came in. Makes sense.

And I didn't mean to imply that D2 teams can't be as competitive as D1. But D1 requires a much greater commitment of time than D1. If you are a top player who also is very focused on academics, I'm not sure UC San Diego would be as attractive as a D1 school. I know my own daughter crossed it off her list because of this.

At the risk of being attacked again by Soccer43 I will share that my daughter committed today! It has been a long road but finally getting her the exposure of playing DA (ECNL would have offered the same exposure) made the difference. Multiple coaches have told us that they wish she had moved to ECNL earlier in her career. Instead we stayed at our smaller club one or two years too long. Frankly, I had bought into the philosophy that it does not matter what league she plays in, the coaches will find her. While in concept this can happen, in reality is it much easier getting there playing ECNL or DA because that is where the coaches go to recruit. The good news is that we did move and it all worked out. She is going to get to study the major of her choice and still play soccer at a school of her choice.

Congratulations!! Now the hard work really begins!

At the risk of being attacked again by Soccer43 I will share that my daughter committed today! It has been a long road but finally getting her the exposure of playing DA (ECNL would have offered the same exposure) made the difference. Multiple coaches have told us that they wish she had moved to ECNL earlier in her career. Instead we stayed at our smaller club one or two years too long. Frankly, I had bought into the philosophy that it does not matter what league she plays in, the coaches will find her. While in concept this can happen, in reality is it much easier getting there playing ECNL or DA because that is where the coaches go to recruit. The good news is that we did move and it all worked out. She is going to get to study the major of her choice and still play soccer at a school of her choice.
Congrats to your DD @Simisoccerfan!

Congrats to your player! Best of luck to her on the next part of her journey.

Fantastic! Congrats! Good words too. All the best for you and your DD!

Congrats!!!

Well don’t keep us in suspense! At least change your avatar or something to give us a clue ;) Congrats to you DD!

Good advice! Thanks

Congrats, JMU is a great school. I have a lot of family and friends in that part of the country, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Beautiful area and lots of historical places within a couple hours drive. Just make sure you get her properly outfitted for the bitter cold and snow. We were back to visit family near Cambersburg, PA and Charlottesville, VA and it was f’ing freezing with 6-8 feet of snow.

Congrats to your daughter - it can be a long and challenging road no matter what level your DD plays. It is a big accomplishment and the coach there is great. It absolutely matters if you play on ECNL/DA. It isn't impossible to get recruited but it is much more challenging if your player is not on a top team in one of those leagues.

btw - I am not that simple and don't be so easily offended- I don't just go around bashing posters, go back and read your original post compared to how other people post about the recruiting process - I stand by what I said - By listing all the individual colleges and where you were visiting it did not come across well whether you meant it that way or not. And I have been attacked on this forum also, it goes with the territory with posting anything on a public forum that allows for anonymity.

I previously posted this on another thread under the 'college recruiting' tab but I think this is the better thread to seek some insight:

What's the take on the 'new NCAA recruiting rules' with regard to a coach giving a prospect a campus tour while in season (if that even makes a difference) and if doable, are there any limitations as far as amount of time spent on tour, etc.? DD and I have an opportunity for a road trip and want to make the best if it. Thanks in advance for the insight.

I previously posted this on another thread under the 'college recruiting' tab but I think this is the better thread to seek some insight:

What's the take on the 'new NCAA recruiting rules' with regard to a coach giving a prospect a campus tour while in season (if that even makes a difference) and if doable, are there any limitations as far as amount of time spent on tour, etc.? DD and I have an opportunity for a road trip and want to make the best if it. Thanks in advance for the insight.
I have this exact same question...

@GoWest, age/HS grade of athlete (Junior, Senior, etc.). Its my understanding that for D1 starting the Junior year, official visits (coach involved, lodging, etc.) can occur on September 1. The changes are designed to allow the student/athlete to have an experience that mirrors the student body in order to make a more informed decision.

Check out these links: D1 recruiting D2 recruiting D3 recruiting
As far as I know there is really no time frame if it's an unofficial visit.

Back