Recommendation to CSL and SCDSL- 40 mile rule

Anyone looked at the CSL G02 Gold Bracket this year? South - Rebels Roget (Chula Vista) to North -SV Carter (Bakersfield) to East - Riverside MGFM (Riverside) to West - Santa Monica United (Santa Monica). Just guessing here but I bet most teams will average over 120 miles each direction (240 round trip) for away games this year.

Just to be clear, you think parents, players and coaches (the customers) _want_ long drives? This seems pretty off to me. Customers will _tolerate_ long drives if they satisfy what they really want, which is evenly-matched competition. If they have to drive far to get it, they'll do it, but given the choice, I don't know too many people who would take a long drive over a short one - competition level being equal. If CSL and SCDSL were to combine into a single league that was reorganized for that reduced travel, I suspect just about every customer would approve.
Parents are the customer. Players are dragged as parents say, coaches are the employee that facilitate the service to the customer.

Does San Diego teams have the need to compete in CSL and SCDSL to go play 3rd tier competition? (Toss up DA/ECNL as 1/2 tier)

Same principle applies to the other areas.

However the solution is on the customer changing their mindset and requiring their 3rd tier services to be within reasonable distance. Until then people seem to be happy with their long drives and don't mind spending their Saturdays traveling 80+ miles, so there is the market.

Anyone looked at the CSL G02 Gold Bracket this year? South - Rebels Roget (Chula Vista) to North -SV Carter (Bakersfield) to East - Riverside MGFM (Riverside) to West - Santa Monica United (Santa Monica). Just guessing here but I bet most teams will average over 120 miles each direction (240 round trip) for away games this year.
Sad that the grown-ups cannot get along and are too busy protecting their fiefdoms to care about the families.

Lol. Everyone wants the prestige of club but the comforts of AYSO.

Consider the players in ECNL and DA that travel north, Vegas and Arizona for league games. Sometimes they travel away in a Sunday after playing a Saturday game.

Club soccer is a choice.

Yep, it's a choice.
Older did all that BS, including DA, and in the end nobody cares. Good grades is what they want.
Thankfully my younger left the DA nonsense and went all the way back to the first "rec" club to have "fun"- locally.

We have a winner !!!!!

Those 8am games are tough. This Sunday we ( from LA ) have an 8am CRL game in Norco, but at least it not in Temecula. And I really don’t know how those Discovery League teams are going to handle going to Norco every weekend, especially teams like Eagles and Real SoCal. That’s a tough drive every weekend, but those teams also have DA and ECNL so it comes with the territory I guess.
And then there’s beautiful Lancaster for you San Diego and OC teams if you play in the CSL League Cup ....
What are Discovery League teams? Eagles and RSC only play DA|DPL. Neither club competes in ECNL. Eagles B and C teams compete play in CSL and RSC competes in SCDSL Only a few of their B & C teams compete in CRL.

Club Soccer is a choice that parents make (fact), Having SCDSL and CSL leagues is not a choice (politics & greed).

Now that schedules are up, my point is stronger than ever of combining both leagues. My U-little child at a flight 3 (errr. rec+) needs to travel from the OC to... Temecula, San Bernandino, Riverside, Temecula.

My flight 1 U16 child needs to travel only once to San Diego and all others are in the OC or Norco. (Makes sense)

How can we grow the sport when a new parent to club soccer gets a crazy schedule to take their flight 3 child all over the place.

It's just stupid that SCDSL & CSL make us parents (Customers) go through this crap. It's worse that us parents don't organize ourselves to write a letter to US Soccer, Calsouth, and each of our club organizations to stop this stupidity. We are the 5th or 6th viewed sport on TV yet the pride of these idiot organizers make it harder for the sport to grow.

I love the sport, I hate the politics and greed of CSL/SCDSL!

Club Soccer is a choice that parents make (fact), Having SCDSL and CSL leagues is not a choice (politics & greed).

Now that schedules are up, my point is stronger than ever of combining both leagues. My U-little child at a flight 3 (errr. rec+) needs to travel from the OC to... Temecula, San Bernandino, Riverside, Temecula.

My flight 1 U16 child needs to travel only once to San Diego and all others are in the OC or Norco. (Makes sense)

How can we grow the sport when a new parent to club soccer gets a crazy schedule to take their flight 3 child all over the place.

It's just stupid that SCDSL & CSL make us parents (Customers) go through this crap. It's worse that us parents don't organize ourselves to write a letter to US Soccer, Calsouth, and each of our club organizations to stop this stupidity. We are the 5th or 6th viewed sport on TV yet the pride of these idiot organizers make it harder for the sport to grow.

I love the sport, I hate the politics and greed of CSL/SCDSL!

Back in the good old days when Presidio had several localized AA-C circuits and county-wide AAA and Premier circuits, everyone wanted their kid's team to be in the big-geography group, but most were willing to settle for playing the team in the next school district 3 or 4 times a year if not. Parents who felt that anything below Premier would stain their kid's career permanently could go try out for a double/triple-priced spot on the Surf or Nomads bench.

There seems to be some posters here who have some inside knowledge of what goes on a board meetings of clubs and leagues-
Does anyone know if there has ever been consideration of combining csl/scdsl (maybe even presidio) as has been suggested above?

There seems to be some posters here who have some inside knowledge of what goes on a board meetings of clubs and leagues-
Does anyone know if there has ever been consideration of combining csl/scdsl (maybe even presidio) as has been suggested above?

In 2004 and 2005 when Presidio's Secretary quit and wiped out the league's web pages in a dispute over its quality and cost, some of the club leaders got together and invited Gary Sparks to expand CSL into SD County. He declined.

Scdsl formed in 2011, right?
Has there ever been a meeting of the “families”? (Someone posted a godfather video in another thread. I imagine it would be a similar meeting).
Has Cal-South ever tried to do anything with the leagues to make things sensible?

Has there ever been a meeting of the “families”? (Someone posted a godfather video in another thread. I imagine it would be a similar meeting).
Has Cal-South ever tried to do anything with the leagues to make things sensible?

The day those clubs (mostly) left CSL it changed everything. There’s no reason to merge with CSL. It really comes down to how long can CSL survive? The big clubs are swallowing up more and more little clubs and that moves everyone to SCDSL.

I’m very happy I’m not in this mess and almost done.

After being in both SCDSL and CSL, the difference is immaterial for families and players.

My sense is that both are happy to coexist today. The early competition between the league seem to have lost its meaning these days.

I was there at the beginning of SCDSL league start and why they split was widely discussed on the forum. This forum even had a SCDSL section early on.

Today, both leagues are 2nd tier at best due to so many other options (e.g., DA, ECNL, NPL, CRL) in terms of top competition. That said, both serve very important function in the community.

If all we cared of the top competition, then that would leave out hundreds and thousands of kids playing soccer. There is a huge distance between rec (AYSO/Signatures) to DA/ECNL. Glad all these other options exists.

At the end of the day, who cares if its Discovery, Premier, Flight 2 or Bronze. The issue is not what bracket the kid plays at; rather, is the kid playing and having fun at it. This zone constitutes the vast majority of the youth soccer players, including my own younger kid.

So if the kid's talent takes you to DA, and wants to commit to do so, go do it. If the talent and interest just focuses on having fun and playing, go do that.

Just remember that in all this talk about development and college soccer, or professional soccer aspirations, the very thing at the core that cannot be taught by coaches and privates is the desire and the drive/motivation. Kid has to do it for him/herself. And if those attributes and characteristics are there, the kid will find the way to be in the right place. Parents just need to facilitate that.

If SCDSL and CSL ever merged, it would likely start at the Premier/Discovery level as a way to bolster their top tier divisions from falling further behind some of the other options. I doubt travel at the F3/Bronze/U-little level would be the motivating force.

The day those clubs (mostly) left CSL it changed everything. There’s no reason to merge with CSL. It really comes down to how long can CSL survive? The big clubs are swallowing up more and more little clubs and that moves everyone to SCDSL.

Are you in the OC or San Diego? This is definitely not the case for boys in LA where CSL has a much larger hold.

If SCDSL and CSL ever merged, it would likely start at the Premier/Discovery level as a way to bolster their top tier divisions from falling further behind some of the other options. I doubt travel at the F3/Bronze/U-little level would be the motivating force.

I think combining the top levels would be a great idea. Instead, we just have each league creating a new "top level" each year. Discovery, Champions and Europa!!!!

Isn’t that called “National Cup”?

And it’s a tourney that’s missing the top two dozen or so teams from almost each age group.

Should probably be named “the other teams Cup” but then nobody would buy a $70 sweatshirt with that on it.

So we will pretend that these renamed divisions and partially fielded tournaments are important.

Back