Quick offside question

socalkdg

PREMIER
Free kick, all girls on side. Ball is kicked by Team A. While ball in air Team A girl moves past the Team B girl. I know this isn't offside. While the ball is in air touches Team B girl on chest, but continues to Team A girl that had moved past the Team B girl. Can't remember if this is offside or not.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Just curious what confused you? The ball hitting the defense?
Yes.

This leads me to another question.

If a girl was already in the offside position, then a ball banks off a defender and goes to that girl. Offside or not? Or is the ball hitting a defender completely waive offside call no matter what.

Yes.

If a girl was already in the offside position, then a ball banks off a defender and goes to that girl. Offside or not? Or is the ball hitting a defender completely waive offside call no matter what.

The issues is whether the defender "deliberately played the ball." Attempting to control the ball with one's chest is "deliberately playing the ball," whereas, a deflection may not be. The referee will take all the factors into account as to whether the ball was deliberately played and make a judgment call.

Yes.

Depends on if the referee judges the defender deliberately attempted to play the ball or not. If deliberate, then the player is onside. If just a deflection, then offside.

you need to be sure that a player has made an attempt to "play" the ball and not just block the ball before you allow the play to continue and not call the offside.

you need to be sure that a player has made an attempt to "play" the ball and not just block the ball before you allow the play to continue and not call the offside.
I think the other key bit in this might be seeing if the defender was making an attempt to block the ball close to the goal (i.e. a deliberate save) and the attacker would then be penalized for an offside offense.

Relevant law below:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area).

if the player is blocking the path of the ball, and the ball is kicked and goes off him/her, that is not playing the ball. still offside.

Blocking a ball is not playing it?
At an association meeting last year, the instructors wanted everyone know that a deliberate play was an actual play on the ball with an intent to play it in a particular direction (my words). As I understood it, we were to consider it a deflection unless it was clearly a deliberate play.

In the case of the ball coming off a player's chest, I would look for the player to have intended to play it directly to another player, their own feet or in another obvious direction to consider it a deliberate play on the ball.

I attached my notes on the subject from the meeting.

Attachments

• Ball Deflection Offside Notes.jpg
    Ball Deflection Offside Notes.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 13
if the player is blocking the path of the ball, and the ball is kicked and goes off him/her, that is not playing the ball. still offside.
What of that player sticks her foot out to stop the ball—-makes contact- but flicks sideways to a player in an offside position.
Asking for a “friend” who saw this happen this weekend and he questioned the referee on it.

What of that player sticks her foot out to stop the ball—-makes contact- but flicks sideways to a player in an offside position.
Asking for a “friend” who saw this happen this weekend and he questioned the referee on it.
if she's blocking the ball, no offside. again, my original point is that it's not playing the ball if you're three yards away and blocking a kicked ball. with any part of your body (except hands)

now, if it's a ball over the top and you are running and trying to control.... that's playing the ball. it is an easier concept when it's in front of goal and the kicked ball could go in. but even 30 yards out, if she's standing in front of the attacker and trying to block the ball and it deflects off her, still offside.

... and we also take into account the relative age/skill level of the players in determining "deliberate." A misplayed header by an MLS player is viewed differently than an misplayed header by a U9.

As with almost every situation like this, it's impossible to make a decision without more information. How far was the player from the ball? How far was the player from her own goal? Did the player move her foot towards the ball? Was she balanced and trying to direct the ball in a certain direction? These are all considerations to take into account. It sounds like the attacker would not be offside as the defender tried to play the ball, but impossible to know if it wasn't seen in person.

My “friend” didn’t argue much. Just questioned if the referee thought the player deliberately tried to play the ball. Attacker was about 15 feet past midfield. Defender was 14 feet from midfield.

My “friend” didn’t argue much. Just questioned if the referee thought the player deliberately tried to play the ball. Attacker was about 15 feet past midfield. Defender was 14 feet from midfield.
I think I remember the criteria for "deliberately playing the ball" as being eerily similar to the criteria for "deliberately handling the ball". You have to have enough time to react to the ball, it had to be body part to ball, not ball to body part.

I think another word for baldref's "blocking" is "deflection".

As the players get more skilled, the act of "deliberately" playing the ball gets a lower bar. Ie: a defender anticipating where a pass would take place would be deliberate even if he had no time to react to the ball from the moment it was kicked. The fact that he guessed where the ball would go prior to the kick is a deliberate action.

...The fact that he guessed where the ball would go prior to the kick is a deliberate action.

I mildly disagree with the above. As I understand, "deliberately played" means more than simply guessing where the ball would go, but there is an intentional attempt to control (move the ball in a controlled direction) the ball beyond a simple block/deflection. Sticking ones foot out to stop a shot requires guessing where the ball will leave the stricker's foot and the likely trajectory, which does not constitute a deliberate play of the ball and reset of offside, whereas, attempting to one-touch the ball to a teammate that goes awry and to an offside defender is a deliberate play,

Back