Question: Official Rules of the Game

I hope you are being sarcastic. Most refs I know will have the coach remove you the first time you yell at them about their vision or looks. Just be quiet and watch your kid play.
I've been known to be a bit sarcastic on occasion.

We're from the North and my son only played at the Surf Tournament once, but I'm glad we didn't run into you. You don't seem to have much of a sense of humor.

My son is U17 now and for the most part, I don't say much at his matches. I just try to cheer his teams on. If I do say something, my usual go to is "call it both ways, ref!" (And yes, that was sarcasm. I thought I should make it obvious for you this time).

Cal South's guidance to referees is to deal with unruly coaches which includes assistant coaches early in the game and if they do not stop being unruly to have them leave. Presidio and SDDA should be interesting this Fall because they want referees to show Yellow and Red cards to coaches and spectators.

http://www.presidiosoccer.com/referee_information.htm
well, i used to think that was a good idea. now, not so much. maybe a yellow to a coach, but i see it being a bad thing to interact with spectators in that way.

We're from the North and my son only played at the Surf Tournament once, but I'm glad we didn't run into you. You don't seem to have much of a sense of humor.
Perhaps that was more sarcasm, but any team would be lucky to have Surfref on the ref crew at their game (and who cares what the parents think). Surfref calls a fair game, looks out for player safety and does not allow the youth refs to be hassled by the parents.

My son is U17 now and for the most part, I don't say much at his matches. I just try to cheer his teams on. If I do say something, my usual go to is "call it both ways, ref!" (And yes, that was sarcasm. I thought I should make it obvious for you this time).
I'd bet just about anything that you do in fact yell this.

Sense of humor isn't relevant to this. A sideline fan who shouts phrases about vision, ancestry, etc. should be removed from the field by the team's coach.

Sense of humor isn't relevant to this. A sideline fan who shouts phrases about vision, ancestry, etc. should be removed from the field by the team's coach.
They should probably be drawn and quartered too, or at least tarred and feathered!! They could have a little ceremony that could be carried out next to the ref's EZ-up at the tournament for all the refs to clap and cheer during the process.

I have been really surprised this summer by the number of coaches I have seen tell one of their spectators to leave. A couple times it has been after the parent yelled something that I considered very minor like "call it both ways." I have also had several coaches approach me after the game and apologize for the behavior of that one or two parents that just don't get that this is a game played by kids. I have also had several coaches ask parents to leave that were coaching. One coach even subbed the 14 y/o boy out of the game and told him to go tell his dad to please leave. I saw that coach later and he told me he had a long talk with the dad and other parents later and they now know who the coach is and who the spectators are. It has been nice knowing that there are coaches that also don't like the yelling from the parents. My daughter coaches two teams and her policy is that if you yell at the referee or coach your kid from the sideline, she will bench your kid for the remainder of the game. She has had to do it three times (twice for the younger team and once for the older team). She is also a referee and knows how to talk to the refs. She usually tells the refs before the game that if they have any problems with parents to let her know and she will have the parent leave.

They should probably be drawn and quartered too, or at least tarred and feathered!! They could have a little ceremony that could be carried out next to the ref's EZ-up at the tournament for all the refs to clap and cheer during the process.

Humor is fairly easy to figure out on the forum, but sarcasm can be more difficult especially due to some of the crazy shit people post on here. I have responded to what I thought was sarcasm several times only to find out that the person was serious about the stupid stuff they posted. (sarcasm) Drawn and quartered would be really messy and had to clean up, so we need something a little less messy.

that was Jim Kerr's favorite. RIP Jim.

You mean when he used to ask the parent if they were a coach and when they said no he would say that he only talks to coaches. Or, the one where he would ask the parent if they were a referee assessor?

You mean when he used to ask the parent if they were a coach and when they said no he would say that he only talks to coaches. Or, the one where he would ask the parent if they were a referee assessor?
He used to love to tell us all of those witty things. But the one I remember him using most and being so proud of was when he had to tell the coach to warm up the assistant because he might need him

He used to love to tell us all of those witty things. But the one I remember him using most and being so proud of was when he had to tell the coach to warm up the assistant because he might need him

I use that one every now and then and it usually works great.

Humor is fairly easy to figure out on the forum, but sarcasm can be more difficult especially due to some of the crazy shit people post on here. I have responded to what I thought was sarcasm several times only to find out that the person was serious about the stupid stuff they posted. (sarcasm) Drawn and quartered would be really messy and had to clean up, so we need something a little less messy.
I get it. There seem to be a lot of out of control people out there who say and do a lot of crazy shit. I personally like just a bit of banter but with the wrong person it can go sideways fast.

Tarring and feathering could be messy also. Maybe there could be a walk of shame through a gauntlet of refs where the offending parents could be pelted with rocks and garbage (and then later they would have to clean up the mess).

I have been really surprised this summer by the number of coaches I have seen tell one of their spectators to leave. A couple times it has been after the parent yelled something that I considered very minor like "call it both ways." I have also had several coaches approach me after the game and apologize for the behavior of that one or two parents that just don't get that this is a game played by kids. I have also had several coaches ask parents to leave that were coaching. One coach even subbed the 14 y/o boy out of the game and told him to go tell his dad to please leave. I saw that coach later and he told me he had a long talk with the dad and other parents later and they now know who the coach is and who the spectators are. It has been nice knowing that there are coaches that also don't like the yelling from the parents. My daughter coaches two teams and her policy is that if you yell at the referee or coach your kid from the sideline, she will bench your kid for the remainder of the game. She has had to do it three times (twice for the younger team and once for the older team). She is also a referee and knows how to talk to the refs. She usually tells the refs before the game that if they have any problems with parents to let her know and she will have the parent leave.
Purely anecdotal, but in games this summer both from a referee and sideline perspective, I would say behavior is markedly better than than past few years.

Back