Question: Official Rules of the Game

Where can I get the official rules of the game? Does FIFA works? or is it something where calsouth or scdsl and csl might adapt?

Where can I get the official rules of the game? Does FIFA works? or is it something where calsouth or scdsl and csl might adapt?

2018/2019 Laws of The Game http://www.theifab.com/laws is the "official LOTG" that US Soccer, Cal South or SCDSL, Presidio, ECNL, DA and CSL can modify as needed for the type and level of competition. LOTG 2018-2019 page 14 gives that permission.

Do you have a specific question that pertains to a modification to the LOTG?

Reactions: mlx
2018/2019 Laws of The Game http://www.theifab.com/laws is the "official LOTG" that US Soccer, Cal South or SCDSL, Presidio, ECNL, DA and CSL can modify as needed for the type and level of competition. LOTG 2018-2019 page 14 gives that permission.

Do you have a specific question that pertains to a modification to the LOTG?

Thanks, Surfref. It's regarding the other "indirect kick" question I posted. During a tournament game, the opposite team "tapped" the ball and the second kicker scored. The ref allowed the goal. I called the ref (in a very nice way, actually) and told him the ball didn't roll, that it is specified in the rules that it has to move, not just tap. He replied with "they changed the rule, go read it again". That's why I'm asking for the "official" rules followed by our California leagues and tournaments. But, for what you've explained, he was actually wrong and just said that to get out of the problem.

Yep, the key item is stated in the rules ".....is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves....". It has to MOVE, and tapping does not do that. This is an out-dated playing concept, in regard to the rules. Yes, the referee was wrong, but it happens. Just hope that some one gets him straightened out on that, so that it does not keep happening.

Yep, the key item is stated in the rules ".....is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves....". It has to MOVE, and tapping does not do that. This is an out-dated playing concept, in regard to the rules. Yes, the referee was wrong, but it happens. Just hope that some one gets him straightened out on that, so that it does not keep happening.
And also that it is "kicked." Many players on IDFK and corner kicks still do the: put foot on top and roll it. While it clearly moves, it is not "kicked." The rule was revised to avid this deception.

The thing to look at in the laws of the game is:
IOTR
In the Opinion of the Referee.
If he thinks it moved- it moved.
Sucks to have it happen in a game.
What was the reason for the indirect free kick?
You don’t see that happen too often within range of goal.

I was a spectator at a game last weekend where the keeper had a double touch. She dropped the ball into play and picked it up again. The AR on the far side flagged it. I wasn't watching and we were scratching our heads for a second and the AR on our side let us know what his guess was. The IFK was taken between the penalty mark and the top of the area, about 15 yards from the goal. It was fairly well executed (ball was passed about 2 yards laterally and shot by a second player) but the shot was blocked by the mass of defenders who defended well by rushing when the first kick happened.

I think the play would have worked better had the pass gone farther to the side.

I was a spectator at a game last weekend where the keeper had a double touch. She dropped the ball into play and picked it up again. The AR on the far side flagged it. I wasn't watching and we were scratching our heads for a second and the AR on our side let us know what his guess was. The IFK was taken between the penalty mark and the top of the area, about 15 yards from the goal. It was fairly well executed (ball was passed about 2 yards laterally and shot by a second player) but the shot was blocked by the mass of defenders who defended well by rushing when the first kick happened.

I think the play would have worked better had the pass gone farther to the side.
My son did that a few years ago in a tournament, I think, and the other team was awarded a penalty kick.

O

Yes, I agree. He was also warned by the CR in a high school game not to bounce the ball. I think the CR implied he was going to penalize him for handling if he kept doing it.

I get dirty looks from referees when I suggest that if they are going to be calling their own version of the LOTG they should tell the players before the game starts.

I get dirty looks from referees when I suggest that if they are going to be calling their own version of the LOTG they should tell the players before the game starts.
That's fantastic. I will try that one sometime. I will have to do it at the beginning of the game though, because the assistant coach is usually riding the referees from start to finish so after about 10 minutes, the refs are already pissed.

That's fantastic. I will try that one sometime. I will have to do it at the beginning of the game though, because the assistant coach is usually riding the referees from start to finish so after about 10 minutes, the refs are already pissed.

Cal South's guidance to referees is to deal with unruly coaches which includes assistant coaches early in the game and if they do not stop being unruly to have them leave. Presidio and SDDA should be interesting this Fall because they want referees to show Yellow and Red cards to coaches and spectators.

http://www.presidiosoccer.com/referee_information.htm

Bad idea. It's much better to save that for those times when you are tempted to start making comments about their ancestry. It's a complicated enough phrasing so that they have to think about what you meant and that gives both of you time to cool down.

Bad idea. It's much better to save that for those times when you are tempted to start making comments about their ancestry. It's a complicated enough phrasing so that they have to think about what you meant and that gives both of you time to cool down.

I usually start with comments about their (lack of) vision and then their appearance. I leave the comments about their ancestry as a last resort.

I usually start with comments about their (lack of) vision and then their appearance. I leave the comments about their ancestry as a last resort.

I hope you are being sarcastic. Most refs I know will have the coach remove you the first time you yell at them about their vision or looks. Just be quiet and watch your kid play.

Cal South's guidance to referees is to deal with unruly coaches which includes assistant coaches early in the game and if they do not stop being unruly to have them leave. Presidio and SDDA should be interesting this Fall because they want referees to show Yellow and Red cards to coaches and spectators.

http://www.presidiosoccer.com/referee_information.htm

I'm guessing that there are no fields left in Presidio territory where you can't get at least a weak internet signal.

Back