Pros and Cons of Futsal

So where can we find "real" futsal courts?

Just have your kid play and worry about the court later. I doubt that kids care if it's an official court or not, they just want to play.

My son has been unable to play soccer for over a year and he says that as soon as he is cleared the first thing he wants to do is go back to playing Futsal.

Happy to hear that your son is a futsal fanatic!

Between the heavier futsal ball and closer shots (and more contact), the sport is dangerous for goalkeepers, young or old - lots more bent fingers and wrists than should happen for a sport that is otherwise fun to watch/play. There needs to be some way to overcome that component.

* - obviously the same can be written about hockey, but GKs are heavily padded in that sport

Between the heavier futsal ball and closer shots (and more contact), the sport is dangerous for goalkeepers, young or old - lots more bent fingers and wrists than should happen for a sport that is otherwise fun to watch/play. There needs to be some way to overcome that component.

* - obviously the same can be written about hockey, but GKs are heavily padded in that sport

In Futsal there is MINIMAL to NO CONTACT, a whole lot less than soccer. It requires a lot more technique and off the ball movement.

Yes, I understand the topic and concern about the goalies, but I wouldn't say its "dangerous". It all depends on the players, how they play, and who they play against. On our end, we've never had a severe incident to consider a goalie position to be dangerous. If anything, goalies wear elbow pads and some knee pads but that's about it - even pros do that as well.

Weird topic. There are no "cons" to futsal. It's fun and enhances soccer skills for the kids...on any surface. Jesus, we will make controversies out of anything these days. ;-)

Weird topic. There are no "cons" to futsal. It's fun and enhances soccer skills for the kids...on any surface. Jesus, we will make controversies out of anything these days. ;-)
The whole truth and nothing but the truth, please.
My daughter plays in the gym and says lots of girls fall.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth, please.
My daughter plays in the gym and says lots of girls fall.

So you're suggesting that gym futsal has a negative because girls fall? I don't have a girl so maybe my comment had a blind spot there...

So you're suggesting that gym futsal has a negative because girls fall? I don't have a girl so maybe my comment had a blind spot there...
I know you aren't and never were an athlete, but that fricken gym floor is hard, easy to snap a wrist, especially a limp wristed dude like you.

I know you aren't and never were an athlete, but that fricken gym floor is hard, easy to snap a wrist, especially a limp wristed dude like you.

Like I said, I never had girls. 3 boys. You know that's determined by the father's hormones, right? Didn't know soccer; played varsity basketball and football. LAUSD. My boys know soccer, for some reason, and played and play at the highest youth levels (excluding national team).

Like I said, I never had girls. 3 boys. You know that's determined by the father's hormones, right? Didn't know soccer; played varsity basketball and football. LAUSD. My boys know soccer, for some reason, and played and play at the highest youth levels (excluding national team).
Are you sure they are your hormones or the milk mans'?
Easy now, just messing with you.
My daughter broke her wrist playing soccer, on grass a few years ago, maybe that is my reasoning.
She does enjoy futsal though.
LAUSD splains mucho.

Easy now, just messing with.
My daughter broke her wrist playing soccer, on grass a few years ago, maybe that is my reasoning.
She does enjoy it though.
LAUSD splains mucho.

I know you are. But that's my point about debating futsal; you can break a bone anywhere on any surface in any sport and kids do.

Yes, I understand the topic and concern about the goalies, but I wouldn't say its "dangerous". It all depends on the players, how they play, and who they play against. On our end, we've never had a severe incident to consider a goalie position to be dangerous. If anything, goalies wear elbow pads and some knee pads but that's about it - even pros do that as well.
OK, you asked for feedback, but then you are not being honest about futsal in reply? It's not "how they play," it's how fast the heavier ball comes at youth keepers from closer range and how youth players charge/step on/run into keepers in closer quarters. My son was his outdoor team's futsal GK; the above reflects his experience and what I've viewed watching many games.

It is hard on goalies until they get better at the technique. In soccer you need to hold the ball to prevent the corner. In futsal you are encouraged to direct the ball away from the net; out of bounds is fine. Corners aren't as dangerous in futsal. Or so I was told.

Are you sure they are your hormones or the milk mans'?
Easy now, just messing with you.
She does enjoy futsal though.
LAUSD splains mucho.
funny stuff....you guys are amusing

I am a believer in Futsal. My kids attended Toque's program when they were younger. They want from being a basic rec level player to a Flight 1 and Flight 2 player. Their footwork and first touch improved significantly. Don't confuse indoor soccer (with walls) and futsal (no walls). The surface is irrelevant, kids in the streets of Brazil play on dirt, asphalt, and concrete.

If your kids are having fun playing Futsal then Futsal is great, if your making them play it you are an IDIOT parent, if your club coach is telling you he/she/player cant play it then they are a complete idiot and need to mind their own business!

OK, you asked for feedback, but then you are not being honest about futsal in reply? It's not "how they play," it's how fast the heavier ball comes at youth keepers from closer range and how youth players charge/step on/run into keepers in closer quarters. My son was his outdoor team's futsal GK; the above reflects his experience and what I've viewed watching many games.
My son is a keeper as well. I try to encourage not to play in goal in goal during Futsal but he absolutely loves it. He wears pads, lots of them. I let him use my shin/knee guards that I use when I Mountain Bike, hip and tailbone pads that they use for Football and of course elbow pads. Put in the finger guards in the gloves and he's good to go. He got banged up a bit but I think he viewed as keeper training.

But I get your point on the weight of the ball and pace of the game. I wouldn't recommend it to a kid playing in goal for the first time.

My son is a keeper as well. I try to encourage not to play in goal in goal during Futsal but he absolutely loves it. He wears pads, lots of them. I let him use my shin/knee guards that I use when I Mountain Bike, hip and tailbone pads that they use for Football and of course elbow pads. Put in the finger guards in the gloves and he's good to go. He got banged up a bit but I think he viewed as keeper training.

Again - Futsal is a MINIMAL CONTACT SPORT and it involves pure TECHNIQUE! Players will tag along and understand this concept and it does change the way they play - which in the end does make a HUGE difference for a goalkeepers standpoint. We do recommend some knee pads, elbow pads, and some special futsal keeping gloves as well, but if you are asking me if it is dangerous and recommend kids to stay away from that position - I will highly disagree. You have several parents saying it's dangerous and others loving it. My suggestion - take it or leave it - is to have an open mind and have them experience the game.

My GK's love to play the floor but will not play in goal. Too many injuries and doesn't do anything for their position (GK).
They love the "arena" 6v6 game.

My GK's love to play the floor but will not play in goal. Too many injuries and doesn't do anything for their position (GK).
They love the "arena" 6v6 game.
Curious as to why you believe it does nothing for a GK? Futsal is played at a faster pace so a GK is developing their reaction time. Since they need to make quicker decisions they are working on recognizing danger quicker. Probably the biggest plus is footwork. Todays Keepers better be able to play with their feet under pressure and Futsal teaches that.

Now all of this is my opinion and yours is obviously different...

Back