Politics and Club BS has enter the HS scene

No, I haven't read the CIF's rule. I don't doubt that the CIF doesn't have specific language barring Seniors from playing JV.

My point is that from all my experience with HS sport, Seniors are not typically allowed to compete on JV. It may not be against CIF rules for Senior to compete at the JV level, but in practice(because of league rules or any other reason) it normally doesn't happen.

Right, but my point is that just b/c it doesn’t happen often doesn’t mean it’s not allowed. Especially since there are coaches and parents on this forum stating it does happen and it is allowed.

Check the rule books. Seniors run JV Cross Country and Track. That’s the beauty of those sports - No BS politics - either an athlete has the times required to compete at the Varsity level or they don’t.
Love those sports and their dynamics are great. The kids are very supportive and the encouraging conversations they engage at the check in line after finishing the race speaks volumes about the culture of those sports!
Or the school. Our HS coach wouldn't put any Seniors on JV, but he did keep 16 Seniors on the Varsity roster, some of whom rarely played and never started until Senior Night.
Do you believe that in today's landscape where club is priority #1, coaches are going to take care of Seniors. It would be nice that Seniors would still be given their place...

Unless rules have changed where does it say a senior cant play JV. A student cant play on a freshman team once they've reached their 16th birthday. A player who turns 19 cannot play. A player cannot play on a "sophomore" or "frosh/soph" team if they turn 17 before June.

But where does it say a senior cant be on a JV team? A lot of coaches tell players and parents this to give them an excuse to cut the player. They say things like "you know seniors cant be on JV so if you aren't ready for varsity we will have to cut you...so come join my club team so we can get you better" then the favoritism comes into play at that point.
What league do you coach in?

What league are you referring to that allows Seniors to compete on JV?

For CIFSS Blue Book this is what it says:https://cifss.org/resources/blue-book/62/

203. AGE REQUIREMENT

A student, whose 19th birthday is attained prior to June 15, shall not participate or practice on any team in the following school year. A student,

whose 19th birthday is on or before June 14, is ineligible. Each Section may waive this provision so long as criteria for such a waiver shall include,

but not be limited to, the following:

A. Such a waiver would not grant more than four years (eight semesters) of eligibility; AND

B. Such a waiver would not grant more than four years participation in any sport; AND

C. That a hardship exists which, in the judgment of the Section, requires a waiver. “Hardship” is defined in Bylaw 213; AND

D.
A decision to deny such a waiver by the Section Commissioner may be appealed only to the Section and in accordance with

the provisions set forth in State CIF Bylaw 1101.

A student may not compete on a freshman (9th grade) team after he or she has reached his or her 16th birthday on or before

June 15, 2018.

A student may not compete on a sophomore or frosh‐soph team after he or she has reached his or her 17th birthday on or

before June 15, 2018.

What league do you coach in?

New to the Mt. Baldy league. This year we have no seniors playing JV anyway because they quit once they were put on JV instead of varsity as many have but we have had a couple in the past when were in the Palomares league

New to the Mt. Baldy league. This year we have no seniors playing JV anyway because they quit once they were put on JV instead of varsity as many have but we have had a couple in the past when were in the Palomares league
So when these group turn into Seniors, are you going to ditch them for the new Freshman's too???

I tried to understand you, but is kind of silly that you take away the experience from the Seniors to play their last year of HS Soccer to play F/S, but yet haven't had a winning season since you been the coach.

At least you are upfront and tell the Seniors that within your program nothing is guaranteed and not give them the run around.

So when these group turn into Seniors, are you going to ditch them for the new Freshman's too???

I tried to understand you, but is kind of silly that you take away the experience from the Seniors to play their last year of HS Soccer to play F/S, but yet haven't had a winning season since you been the coach.

At least you are upfront and tell the Seniors that within your program nothing is guaranteed and not give them the run around.

All we can do is be upfront with the kids. We have never dropped a player from Varsity down to JV. Just because someone doesn't make varsity their senior year doesn't mean we ditched anyone. Like I said, we give options for some to play JV when MANY programs will just get rid of them and tell them that rules wont allow them to play JV as a senior.

I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with things. I was merely commenting on the politics of Club & HS soccer and I know club can be very political whereas we run our program as unbiased as possible despite what people might think. Other HS programs follow along with the political side and make players play for the club they are affiliated with otherwise they wont make their program I believe that is truly wrong but cant make everyone happy and cant have rosters of 40 players so just the way things go.

All we can do is be upfront with the kids. We have never dropped a player from Varsity down to JV. Just because someone doesn't make varsity their senior year doesn't mean we ditched anyone. Like I said, we give options for some to play JV when MANY programs will just get rid of them and tell them that rules wont allow them to play JV as a senior.

I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with things. I was merely commenting on the politics of Club & HS soccer and I know club can be very political whereas we run our program as unbiased as possible despite what people might think. Other HS programs follow along with the political side and make players play for the club they are affiliated with otherwise they wont make their program I believe that is truly wrong but cant make everyone happy and cant have rosters of 40 players so just the way things go.
My kid watched her first Varsity game of the year at her HS [she's hurt] and said she wanted to pull her eyes out.

Finally last week my DD got a call up to play a tournament with the Varsity team. After 1 game she became a starter and now she will stay with the team after making a difference after 4 games.

The one part I did noticed and I'm glad it happened for her, is that she gets to enjoy the sport with her peers.

Finally last week my DD got a call up to play a tournament with the Varsity team. After 1 game she became a starter and now she will stay with the team after making a difference after 4 games.

The one part I did noticed and I'm glad it happened for her, is that she gets to enjoy the sport with her peers.
What year is she?

Is it about her or really about you, as is the case with most of the situations in club soccer, hs soccer, and youth sports.

Because you end casually with “she’s enjoying the sport with her peers.” This seems like the throwaway sentiment. This comes after the points you made of “called up” “being a starter” “staying with the team” and “making a difference.”

To me, it seems like you are more vindicated now that this has happened. Was she not enjoying playing with her peers on JV?

Credit to her for sticking with it, not easy.
My son stuck it out on JV his junior year, he came home one day and told me he threw 118 pitches in 1 game and I told him to tell the coach max 80 pitches and he never pitched again, made varsity his senior year and batted .476, the coach had a little more than egg on his face at the banquet.

Is it about her or really about you, as is the case with most of the situations in club soccer, hs soccer, and youth sports.

Because you end casually with “she’s enjoying the sport with her peers.” This seems like the throwaway sentiment. This comes after the points you made of “called up” “being a starter” “staying with the team” and “making a difference.”

To me, it seems like you are more vindicated now that this has happened. Was she not enjoying playing with her peers on JV?
She was not with her peers. She was the only Jr in JV.

I'm not vindicated yet until the coach explain his logic behind not taking her from the get go.

If her playing soccer was anything about me, she would still be playing in club. She's playing because she wants to, and enjoys spending time with her friends and peers.

Sounds like she will be a valuable member of the team next year as well. Glad the process worked for her. Hard work usually triumphs politics.
Hopefully she is. Specially she already built rapport with the upcoming soph/frosh coming up, that will help her bridge them in as the seniors leave. Lots of positives should come out of this experience.

She was not with her peers. She was the only Jr in JV.

I'm not vindicated yet until the coach explain his logic behind not taking her from the get go.

If her playing soccer was anything about me, she would still be playing in club. She's playing because she wants to, and enjoys spending time with her friends and peers.
Coaches are crazy, my kids High School team was down 0 2 at the half, down to 10 girls and the ref was out of control with cards and warnings [little man syndrome] and our coach pulled most of the starters for the second 1/2, we scored so it was 1 2 and he pulled all the starters out with 30 minutes left and just gave up. Horrible display for the girls to see.
It was all I could do not to grab my kid and leave for the year.

Back