Politics and Club BS has enter the HS scene

coachsamy

SILVER ELITE
I guess I was naive enough to believe that HS Soccer didn’t have all the bullshitry that goes with club!

I’m beyond disgusted!

3 girls got left out of the varsity team for a bunch of lesser skilled girls.

You know when the soccer moms intervene type of deal.

3 girls got left out of the varsity team for a bunch of lesser skilled girls.

You know when the soccer moms intervene type of deal.

HS sports (girls and boys) are especially susceptible to some of that ... unqualified players making the team because the Coach knows that the moms/dads are going to hit it hard on fundraising and supporting the team. I've seen it in soccer and cheer. Obviously some programs are less immune than others, but often it comes down to parental support of programs equals a leg up for that parent's kid.

And you are surprised?

Coach Tracksuit runs the Middletown High School genderunrelated soccer team. The rest of the year is spent running a club team of similar or equal age.
Coach uses High School as a recruiting and training facility.

It hasn’t affected mine directly but I am watching the process at 2 of the local high schools. And I know 2 Club/Varsity coaches.

Are we taking about “a junior or senior made the varsity team, but a more skilled freshman or sophomore didn’t?”

Because some coaches do care a bit about the “social order” of high school. Right or wrong, it happens and it’s probably not a bad thing.

Are we taking about “a junior or senior made the varsity team, but a more skilled freshman or sophomore didn’t?”

Because some coaches do care a bit about the “social order” of high school. Right or wrong, it happens and it’s probably not a bad thing.

A coach who has confidence he will be coaching the team next year might be better off putting a Freshman on JV and play him every game rather than sitting him on the Varsity bench.

Based on everything I’ve read on this forum, it would appear “social order” is really the key reason to play HS soccer. So it would make sense that “seniority would be a factor whether it’s right or wrong.

I've observed that part of the "social order" is that a player who has persevered through 3 years of F/S and JV will always make the varsity in their senior year but playing time may be limited. Although there are no formal HS roster size limitations the practical result may be the senior displaces a lower classmate (Fr, Soph, Jr) with better skills but not quite enough to displace another player who is not a senior.

High school coaches often pick kids from their club over other local competing club players. I often heard kids and parents say that they are playing at club X because the high school coach is from club X and they want to play high school.

I've observed that part of the "social order" is that a player who has persevered through 3 years of F/S and JV will always make the varsity in their senior year but playing time may be limited. Although there are no formal HS roster size limitations the practical result may be the senior displaces a lower classmate (Fr, Soph, Jr) with better skills but not quite enough to displace another player who is not a senior.
Agree totally with this philosophy, if a player has supported the team through 3 years of HS, played Fr/Soph, JV, they should be rewarded a spot on Varsity as a senior regardless of their skill level. Playing time is another issue, a player is never guaranteed playing time, and the roster may need to be expanded to accomodate the seniors.

High school coaches often pick kids from their club over other local competing club players. I often heard kids and parents say that they are playing at club X because the high school coach is from club X and they want to play high school.
This may be why my daughter plays basketball instead of soccer in High School. New coach from another soccer club now in charge, three of his freshman girls on varsity and starting over a couple girls that are better. Plus a goal keeper that is great with possession based play not as important with a kick ball High School team. Actually don't mind her playing two sports.

I could write a book about my kids school. Coaches having inappropriate relationships with players. Coaches arrested. Coaches on drugs. Parents paying for their kids play time.

Of course these coaches are all gone now but my girls had to deal with it.

I haven't had to deal with this personally, but an older sibling of one of my daughter's teammates had this issue. She didn't play for the right club, whom this coach was part of, so she didn't play.

The coach wasn't too bashful about pushing his agenda of playing and giving preferential treatment to players that belonged to the club that he was part of.

Luckily I haven't had to deal with this.

That coach is long gone BTW.

I could write a book about my kids school. Coaches having inappropriate relationships with players. Coaches arrested. Coaches on drugs. Parents paying for their kids play time.

And everything turned out ok.

What this guy said.

One of the issues here that caught me by surprise is that the Varsity coach is not affiliated with any youth club. The school AD runs a very good athletic program within the school as far opportunities for all the kids. I haven't had any issues with any of the sports within the school (Cross Country, Track, Swimming, Wrestling, Field Hockey and Lacrosse) but it caught my attention as of why my DD a Jr, which has waited the last 2 years in JV to move up to varsity, was passed up for silver and bronze level girls that range from Freshman to Juniors. I believe that Seniors that have played Fresh/JV their first 3 years in the school do deserve to be in the Varsity team regardless of their skill level.

If the coach was a club coach, I would had expected this kind of debauchery...

Back