Playing a different position in HS

Denied

BRONZE
Curious to see how many kids play a different position in High School. Sometimes coaches see things differently.

My older dd usually plays midfield but in HS is playing forward. Little dd plays forward and sometimes mid and in HS has been all over the place. Mostly mid but even played defender a few times.

I once worked at HS where the star player was a Forward on his club an ODP team, but played Center Back at HS. This high school was one of the best in the nation at that time.

My daughter played varsity her freshman year. In one game as a freshman that her team was destroying the other team she played all 11 positions including keeper. I dont think it will hurt a player playing other positions as long as the coach provides some guidance.

This can happen a few times in your kid's career.

The coach may see them play and decide that he needs them at a different position, or move them around as needed.

Being able to play in multiple positions sometimes gets your kid more playing time. If they can only play one position, and the coach doesn't need anyone else at that position, guess where your kid is going to be?

Tim Howard refused to play gk for his HS team.
(Refused might not be the right word. But he didn’t want to. And when they were in the finals one year, the coach asked him to play gk. He said “nope. We’ve got a guy that played there all year and has done great. I’m not taking his spot”)

Last edited:
Tim Howard refused to play gk for for HS team.
(Refused might not be the right word. But he didn’t want to. And when they were in the finals one year, the coach asked him to play gk. He said “nope. We’ve got a guy that played there all year and has done great. I’m not taking his spot”)
Tim Howard played HS? Imagine how good he would have been if he played USSDA instead. Really could have had quite a career.

Back