Penalty shot.

probably a biased referee that hates you. that's the only explanation.

I don't think that I just get irked when there is such inconsistency. I ref as well and the time is the time. I don't extend time because a team is building up with a scoring oppurtunity . That would be wrong , the clock is the clock and when time is up the game is over.

I don't think that I just get irked when there is such inconsistency. I ref as well and the time is the time. I don't extend time because a team is building up with a scoring oppurtunity . That would be wrong , the clock is the clock and when time is up the game is over.

What a refreshing statement.

If time expires on your watch and a player has a one on one with the keeper you are going to blow your whistle to end the game?

If time expires on your watch and a player has a one on one with the keeper you are going to blow your whistle to end the game?

Big difference in watching your watch for the exact second that 35 min is up , knowing it's close to being time and allowing a play to die out, maybe going over 5 seconds let's say 15 sec. But 2 plus minutes when ar's are even pointing at their watches to let you know game should be over are 2 very different things.

Big difference in watching your watch for the exact second that 35 min is up , knowing it's close to being time and allowing a play to die out, maybe going over 5 seconds let's say 15 sec. But 2 plus minutes when ar's are even pointing at their watches to let you know game should be over are 2 very different things.

NCAA rules are different, but it is not unheard of for a game to end when the ball is in the air on its way into the goal, and the goal not counted.

No substitutions were made during the second half by either team?

There are many reasons why time can be added including “any other cause.” Law 7 link and wording is below. There is ALWAYS some reason to add at least one minute to each half. If allowed, I usually add at least 2 minutes to the end of each half of a 90 minute match. I am very generous with adding time and try to make sure sufficient time is added and have been known to add 5-7+ minutes to matches. If both teams each substitute 3 times then that is easily 2 minutes of add time. If players have to chase the ball for a throw-in, goal or corner kick that is 20-30 seconds each time. If the leading teams keeper is really slow about taking a goal kick I may add time. If a team is slow about setting up for set plays I will add time. There are numerous examples of reasons why time can be added.

What the referee in question did wrong in my opinion, but is still legal, is to not add some time to each half. That is the referees decision and adding no additional time to a half can be acceptable.

http://theifab.com/laws/the-duration-of-the-match_2018/chapters/allowance-for-time-lost-2018

3. ALLOWANCE FOR TIME LOST

Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half through:
  • substitutions
  • assessment and/or removal of injured players
  • wasting time
  • disciplinary sanctions
  • stoppages for drinks (which should not exceed one minute) or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules
  • delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’
  • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)
The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

The referee must not compensate for a timekeeping error during the first half by changing the length of the second half.

After reading some of these threads I am wondering what kind of novice refs did you guys have on games last weekend. Decent ARs know that the CR has control of time and should know to not continuously signal the CR once regulation time is up. I bet the CR did not follow the LOTG and within the last minute of each half indicate to the ARs, coaches and players how much minimal additional time will be added. In matches with a 4th official the 4th will display the additional time, but when there is no 4th the CR must indicate the added time. And, remember additional time can be added to the initial additional time that the CR indicated. See my other post for the LOTG and link

I work with too many refs that treat regulation and addition time as top secret that only the CR should know. When players ask me how much time is remaining I always tell them. I am perplexed as to why some refs think that they should not tell players how much time is remaining.

Law 7
“The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.”

Oh, brother!

To update, NPL League decided to not report the score at all. If, at the end of the season, either team has a chance for 1st place(only 1st place advances), the game will be replayed, at NPL expense.

Back